• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Speedo Drive Question - Toyota

84Toyota4x4

Ok, so my truck has an 85 MPH speedo, and an SR5 cluster. Id like to get the same SR5 cluster my girlfriends truck has with the 110 MPH speedo, but I'm wondering if it would read wrong if I just dropped it in my truck. Logic tells me yes, but then I think that I haven't really heard about this problem before when swapping transmissions or transfer cases, so I'm not sure. Then again, they may have the problem and just don't say or care.

I know my friends Ranger has a different transmission and his speedo reads all wrong, which makes sense to me. I'm just wondering if I will have that problem too if I put a 110 MPH cluster in a truck that came with an 85 MPH cluster.

~T.J.

Electronic speedos came in about '91 or '92, somewhere around there.

Do you go above 85 much?:D

Ok I get that I dont go that fast anyway, but damn it, I dont want it to be WAY wrong. My friends pegs out at like 45 and says hes doing like 85 or something in his Ford and then listens to his slipper clutch inside the unit tick the rest of the time. Right now, mines off like 1 MPH (verified by radar), and Id like to maintain that if possible.

~T.J.

Bump from the dead I know, but I answered this question tonight.

Doesn't matter if you swap em, the slipper clutch unit inside regulates the needle movement and the needle is calibrated to the dial (duh), so it still works fine.

In hine sight, it seems like a really stupid question to even ask, but like I said, my friends Ranger is WAY wrong, and the only thing he changed was the tranny.

~T.J.

Bump from the dead I know, but I answered this question tonight.

Doesn't matter if you swap em, the slipper clutch unit inside regulates the needle movement and the needle is calibrated to the dial (duh), so it still works fine.

In hine sight, it seems like a really stupid question to even ask, but like I said, my friends Ranger is WAY wrong, and the only thing he changed was the tranny.

~T.J.

The only thing that's going to affect a mechanically driven speedo is from the cable back. There's a gear on the output shaft of the tranny that drives the cable, the diff gears, and tire size.

I wouldn't mind getting the 110 mph speedo in my 4 runner now too, it feels weird seeing one that say 85, when I've owned a 1987 and 1985 that both had 110 mph speedos. (oh and believe me I got the 85 to 105 once with that buick v6 in it Lol), but how do I make it so when I get bigger tires I don't have to guess how fast I'm going. I'm guessing it would be higher gears, but sorry I'm not really smart when it comes to gears and such.

CJ

Yeah, if you change the gears it will correct it a decent amount. Mine was almost dead on, only off about 1-3 MPH through the range when I checked it with radar at work.

~T.J.

Last edited:
I actually pegged my 110 mph speedo past the highest mark back in the days when Montana had no speed limits.......... and yes, I was going downhill at the time.:haha:

I actually pegged my 110 mph speedo past the highest mark back in the days when Montana had no speed limits.......... and yes, I was going downhill at the time.:haha:
:eeek: most ive done is 80.

with my set up (33s, 4.88s) my speedo is only off my 2 mph, verified by my dad when we were stuck behind a slow truck on 2 on the way to drop my truck off in arlington :redneck: when my speedo show 55, i am doing 53.

Well, if you want to put on in you truck, its all plug and play. Just find one somewhere and you should be good to go. There are minor cosmetic differences between them (the grid pattern on the gauge faces comes to mind), but otherwise they should all be the "same".

The nice part about my swap is that it came from a fuel injected SR5 4x4, so its got the check engine bulbs and everything already in it that I would have needed otherwise when I do my EFI swap. Works out nice.

~T.J.