• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

spool locker question ?

monsteryota

Ok i have a 89 toyota 4x4 it is stock i just bought a spool locker for it and i know i need the 2 seals and diff gasket but i was wondering if i need new bearings or could i use the ones i have right now ? i dont have much money really now after buying everything so i was wondering if it is possible to use the old bearing Thanks in advance Dustin

Ok i have a 89 toyota 4x4 it is stock i just bought a spool locker for it and i know i need the 2 seals and diff gasket but i was wondering if i need new bearings or could i use the ones i have right now ? i dont have much money really now after buying everything so i was wondering if it is possible to use the old bearing Thanks in advance Dustin

By two seals, I presume you mean the pinion seal and what other seal--the diff gasket???, if so and all you're changing is the spool, then you don't really need the pinion seal---unless it is leaking! As for the diff gasket, you can run silicone, and my preference is called The Right Stuff....
As long as your bearings are good, you can run 'em, but will need someone to pull off the bearings with some sort of bearing puller, then press them onto the spool---then you will need a dial micrometer to reset backlash. Before you tear the old carrier out, check the backlash so you can set it back up the same...

I'd recommend a couple axle seals iffen yer gonna have the axles out.

Not if this is for the rear i.e. seal and bearing assembly on the shaft.

You don't "need" any seals or "any" bearings if they are not bad.:awesomework:
Get somebody to help you that has some clue as to what is going on. If you bring the third member to somebody (who knows what they are doing)install should only take less than 1hr.

Not if this is for the rear i.e. seal and bearing assembly on the shaft.

You don't "need" any seals or "any" bearings if they are not bad.:awesomework:
Get somebody to help you that has some clue as to what is going on. If you bring the third member to somebody (who knows what they are doing)install should only take less than 1hr.

Toyota rear ends have a seal that rides on the locking collar for the bearing...it's pressed into the end of the housing. Otherwise, you'd have gear oil leaking past the brng...
Monsteryota, I hope some of this has helped out in your quest for answers!!!:redneck:

Last edited:
So why replace them? Is a spun good bearing related to some kind of failure?

Prob depends on whether or not it got excessive heat or galling from it. I would replace them as I don't care for a bearing failure and have to change them in a short time anyways.:beer: I would get a full bearing kit unless it had low milage.:beer:

Prob depends on whether or not it got excessive heat or galling from it. I would replace them as I don't care for a bearing failure and have to change them in a short time anyways.:beer: I would get a full bearing kit unless it had low milage.:beer:

of all folks you are spouting some BS.

I have set up the same diff a few times and had carrier bearing fall off of the carrier when tipped sideways. They are always in good shape and dont cause anything to fail.

If it had heatdamage, I see where you coming from. I have NEVER seen a heat damaged carrier bearing on a toyota.

If you run into carrier bearing problems it most likely as to do with not seating the races and getting the spanners set properly.

I even set up anew trutrac last week that the carrier bearings were pushed on by hand.

Parts guys.:rolleyes: Always suggest replacing good parts.:haha:

As I said, if they had 250k and showed signs of wear then I would replace them, If they had 50k I would definelty consider using them. I was only suggesting as I don't care for a failure and the most common failure in a toy diff is bearing failure which cause catastophic failure of other parts when they do fail. I prefer to get as much life out of the rest of the parts and Don't like to have a breakdown at the most inconvient time.:;