• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

SPR/DMR Build

Maverick26

As iron sharpens iron...
A build thread of a different kind, hope its all ok with the high ups that I share.

This is being built to do one thing and that is long rang shooting. It is not a CQB gun at all but it could be used if needed I guess. I am building this for a MagPul Dynamics class in July, it will be pushed out to around 900 meters. I know there are much better bullets out there for this distance but we are not looking at killing elk at 900m, just punching paper.

Lower is a DPMS
Trigger is a RRA 2 stage
Bolt carrier is a DPMS Mil Spec
Bolt is JP Percission
YHM light hand gaurd
Upper is a DPMS heavy receiver
MagPul MAID grip
MagPul trigger gaurd
MagPul PRS stock
BenchMark Barrels 18" 1:8 twist SS barrel with threads
Mid length gas system
SWFA glass

There is lots of other little stuff going into this thing but you get the idea. The Barrel, upper, and bolt are being machined right now. All other parts are on order of back order. :mad:

Attachments

• IMG_1574.jpg
    IMG_1574.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_1575.jpg
    IMG_1575.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_1576.jpg
    IMG_1576.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_1577.jpg
    IMG_1577.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_1578.jpg
    IMG_1578.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 473
I've been wanting to build on for distance myself. How much do you have into it?

Its hard to tell how much I got into it, I just order or buy the things needed to build it. I have to have it done in less then 2 months. No cheap parts are being installed so I am gonna guess and say over 2k. We will see.

If you need any work done hit up BenchMark Barrels off exit 208! Or at least stop in and drewl and talk to Chris.

Ill get more pics when the barrel and upper action is done.

I got some parts for these if you need em.

Other then whats you got listed in your thread? I have everything I need I think unless you can think of anything. I will be selling off a bunch of stuff too.

Ill post a thread on here of all my extra parts, but most of it will be sold on SGN.

Few more parts showed up the last few days. Got the Magpul PRS stock and the YHM Light mid length hand gaurd. that is some really nice quality stuff from YHM, very impressed!

Benchmark is still working on my barrel and upper so we wait...

I have decided to bag the SWFA glass and have a Leupold 4-12x50 reworked by there custom shop to put a new retical and M1 turrets on it.

Attachments

• IMG_1582.jpg
    IMG_1582.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_1583.jpg
    IMG_1583.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_1580.jpg
    IMG_1580.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_1581.jpg
    IMG_1581.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 367
My next long range rifle will be chambered in .338 Edge...:masturbanana[1]:

That is a very cool round, I like it also. I have a .300 win mag that I am working on also. I got it for free from some guy. Anyway, I may start a thread on that after hunting season and I heal funds from this.

Buffer tube kit showed up today so I got to play a little and install the stock. This stock has a lot of aluminum parts and is very solid built with poly so it adds some weight to the back end, this will be nice to help balance the rifle with a 18" SPR barrel and surpressor hanging off the other end. The stock provideds a 12.5"-14" LOP. I ordered the .80" thick butt pad to add .5" more LOP to help with eye relief and awkward shooting positions.

Enjoy...

Attachments

• IMG_1585.jpg
    IMG_1585.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_1586.jpg
    IMG_1586.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 299
Nice looking rig sir! Very nice!! What glass is that, hard to tell from that pic?

I will be shooting 75gr Black hills Heavy Match ammo for sure.

And yes, 900m is a lob at best, not intended to kill anything but paper at that range. More or less fun to use the optics and your skills to make a shot.

Nice looking rig sir! Very nice!! What glass is that, hard to tell from that pic?

I will be shooting 75gr Black hills Heavy Match ammo for sure.

And yes, 900m is a lob at best, not intended to kill anything but paper at that range. More or less fun to use the optics and your skills to make a shot.

One thing to take note of is that the heavier rounds have a longer bullets and sometimes, not always, they are too long for the mags.

Black Hills is the stuff I use in the one AR, but I use the lighter 50gr V-max because of the barrel twist....and the cheaper reloaded (blue box) stuff :redneck:

One thing to take note of is that the heavier rounds have a longer bullets and sometimes, not always, they are too long for the mags.

Black Hills is the stuff I use in the one AR, but I use the lighter 50gr V-max because of the barrel twist....and the cheaper reloaded (blue box) stuff :redneck:

Ya I have heard that too but they seem to fit in my mags just fine. The new barrel is a 1:8 twist and Benchmark said that these 75g are a good match for it. The bullet will tell the truth so we will see...

I am torn between the NF NXS 5.5-22 or the Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20 for my model 70 .300 build. The NF drops the panties for sure.

Ya I have heard that too but they seem to fit in my mags just fine. The new barrel is a 1:8 twist and Benchmark said that these 75g are a good match for it. The bullet will tell the truth so we will see...

I am torn between the NF NXS 5.5-22 or the Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20 for my model 70 .300 build. The NF drops the panties for sure.

You can't go wrong with either.

Got the Phase5 Tactical BAD lever today, its a monolithic lever that replaces the factory lever instead of bolting to it like the Magpul BAD lever does. Also the Magpul BAD does not clear the oversized upper recievers of the DPMS classic or the like. The Phase5 Tactical lever does. It is a nicely built part for sure.

Looks like I am about 2 weeks out on getting the upper back from Benchmark with the new barrel and JP bolt all perfectly head spaced.

Attachments

• bad1.jpg
    bad1.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 192
  • bad2.jpg
    bad2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 188
Got my scope back from Leupold yesterday, of course they did an awesome job reworking my 4-12x40 VX-II. I had them take out the old duplex retical and install a mil dot along with adding their M1 turrets. Very nice setup and I am pleased with their quality.

I also had a really hard time choosing what scope mount to buy. Would love to be able to justify the money for a Larue through lever but I cant. I ended up with the Burris PEPR 1 piece mount. It is a through lever also. We will see how it works.

Attachments

• IMG_1620.jpg
    IMG_1620.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1621.jpg
    IMG_1621.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_1624.jpg
    IMG_1624.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_1625.jpg
    IMG_1625.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1623.jpg
    IMG_1623.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 163
The Burris PEPR mount sure looks good, and seems really solid. The levers lock closed. Not a big fan of the made in china thing but It was 1/3 the price or a Larue. 6 torx screws on each ring as apposed to just 2 on the Leupold mount. I think this will be a winner for what its ment to do.

Attachments

• IMG_1629.jpg
    IMG_1629.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1630.jpg
    IMG_1630.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 142