• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

stall speed help

1tfrot

background info....

th350 with unknown stall speed. rig was 5300# and it seemed a little sluggish from a dead stop in high range. this is with 42s and a fairly warm lq4 6.0

it wants to push through the brakes in low range

same drivetrain going into my new buggy. the buggy is probably going weigh around 4000#.

am I understanding correctly that the lighter rig will essentially lower my stall speed?

I don't want it to push through the brakes in low range, do want it to get going faster from a dead stop in high range, and also not be so high of stall that heat is an issue.

is there a way to figure what my current one is and then how much do we change it?

any help is appreciated

The woman's buggy is 4000# with 5.13 gears and a 3:1 transfer case. It took a 3000 stall to make it drivable in low range. Still pushes on the brakes a little but it's tolerable. No heat issues. Good snap from a stop too.

Making one dig from a dead stop in high range will either take some serious horses, or a really loose convertor. And imo if you get more than a 3,000 stall you will have heat issues if you trail ride much. You will see the race bouncers run loose convertors but you usually will not see them trail ride either. Its very hard to do both, might have to make a choice.

thanks for the replies. the motor is probably close to 500hp

it appears that the current converter is marked 2200. looks like we are going with a 2600-2800 stall and see how it works. just trying to get it to snap better from a dig in high range, but not create too much heat for trail riding.

low was easily drivable other than keeping it stopped and in gear (wanted to push through the brakes a little)

hopefully we're making the right call

Re:

You can get a custom one built. Stall at what ever speed you want. Halcat has a high horsepower BBC and his actually stalls kinda low. And don't drive through his brakes either

rednecklights said:
I'm surprised that this hasn't been said but call Ed at PTC , it's what he does for a living.

Jon Piper

thank you! getting more specific info would be a great so I'll give him a call.