• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Starter go Boom...

JOOP

I WON a COOKIE
1978 chevy 454 dually...Carb'd

First start lasted awhile but broke the solenoid of the starter housing (no pic)
I replaced that starter last week or maybe 2 weeks ago. No shims. Started beautiful, not noisy or anything. It was really a pleasure starting the truck with this quiet one. But then this morning it started but sounded like **** breaking. I knew it was broke so I drove it to the shop. What a better place to break down but at work(auto repair).

So I put a new starter in today but this was the damage. I figure it needed to be shimmed so lets see how long this works.

So mighty web wheelers, what's your verdict of what caused this?

p1040986la5.jpg

By jonsjeep, shot with DMC-FZ7 at 2008-03-12

only time I have seen that happen is from a backfire while the starter was ingauged.

It's never backfired on me. Someone at work tried to tellme I was running a high compression BBC. As far as I know this is a standard 454.. Nothing special. Even comes with typical valve cover leak. :awesomework:

shimmed too tight would have the same effect as the backfire. I broke 3 of those on my built sbc in a car. But it was as jim says caused from the motor kicking back. Jim remembers that car huh jim?! haha shovel shaker!

Is the timing off, or had header heating up the starter solenoid. If it is cranking like timing is off this can happen. Happened to me 3 times on that truck.

Voltage drop from ign switch to starter. Check N safety switch. Low voltage will let the starter kick back and break just like yours did

it was loose or missing a bolt

Thats what I originally thought, but both bolts were there and tight as hell. I added Shims this time around. I think I need to buy a spare and carry necessary tools. The first one broke the solendoid off the start, this one broke the case in half.

Typical chevy starter......buy a spare and keep it in the truck with a 9/16 ratchet and extention.This is that only time you will hear me say this....ford had it right with the way theres bolt up.

Typical chevy starter......buy a spare and keep it in the truck with a 9/16 ratchet and extention.This is that only time you will hear me say this....ford had it right with the way theres bolt up.

And the remote solenoid, and the front distributor, and the exhaust ports below the spark plugs... :D

I have run into this exact problem from too much timing advance.

Normally this is caused by the advance weights in the distributor (under the rotor) hanging up and not coming back all the way.

new plastic bushings and springs cures it.

Are you using the factory brace that goes between the back of the starter motor and the engine block? I broke several starters on my truck and the problem went away when I put the brace on.

Some applications used a starter with a cast iron nose instead of the aluminum one. They're heavy as hell but it might help. Also try using new starter bolts. They're knurled next to the threads to help keep the starter aligned. Sometimes they wear down.

Are you using the factory brace that goes between the back of the starter motor and the engine block? I broke several starters on my truck and the problem went away when I put the brace on.

Some applications used a starter with a cast iron nose instead of the aluminum one. They're heavy as hell but it might help. Also try using new starter bolts. They're knurled next to the threads to help keep the starter aligned. Sometimes they wear down.

Brace??? Do you have a picture of one, Maybe I can find one.