• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Steel Purchases - Birmingham, Alabama Area

John Galbreath Jr.

38 Special & Solo Buggy
I have been doing business with Econo Steel. When I was working, it was only 4 blocks from work. And it was also owned by a wheeler and CAOS Club member. Realizing the prices were high, I still felt good about the convenience and doing business with a local wheeler. Well, it has changed hands and I am not working, so looking for another supplier.

The last I bought was 4x8 sheets of 16 gauge. It was about $85 a sheet after taxes.

Years ago, I did business with Oneal Too, but they are no longer around.

Who is good around the Birmingham area for steel. HREW, DOM, and flat plate 1/4 and thinner? Paying by credit card or cash if needed.

Right now, need about 5 sheets of 4x8 16 gauge plate.

I buy a bunch from Besco steel in Birmingham or Marmon/Keystone in Tarrant.
Both of these have much better prices than O'Neal or Econo in my dealings

try sable steel. they are in the west blockton/Woodstock area. Pretty close to holiday beach if your familiure with that drag strip.

I bought two sheets of 16ga at Besco for 60 each last summer. The prices they have quoted me on DOM are higher than a giraffes ass though.

rocfun said:
I buy a bunch from Besco steel in Birmingham or Marmon/Keystone in Tarrant.
Both of these have much better prices than O'Neal or Econo in my dealings

Can you buy from marmon/keystone without an account? My buddy ordered me a 24' stick of 1.75x.250 from them and it was 175. A 20' stick at Besco cost me 230.

85toyo said:
I bought two sheets of 16ga at Besco for 60 each last summer. The prices they have quoted me on DOM are higher than a giraffes ass though.

Can you buy from marmon/keystone without an account? My buddy ordered me a 24' stick of 1.75x.250 from them and it was 175. A 20' stick at Besco cost me 230.
I would assume you could i talked them yesterday and she gave me some prices ans said nothing about an account. As for besco and DOM i have bought 1.75"
.120 wall for $4-$5 per ft. That being said I havent bought the thick walled DOM from them . But after talking to Marmon Keyston their DOM is a better price for sure, but they are 3 weeks out on having any as of yesterday.

Re:

Ryerson has the best prices on DOM, aluminum, steel etc in the Atlanta area. I am 99% sure they have one in Birmingham.

rocfun said:
I would assume you could i talked them yesterday and she gave me some prices ans said nothing about an account. As for besco and DOM i have bought 1.75"
.120 wall for $4-$5 per ft. That being said I havent bought the thick walled DOM from them . But after talking to Marmon Keyston their DOM is a better price for sure, but they are 3 weeks out on having any as of yesterday.

Besco quoted me 95 a stick for .120 wall. Seems high as hell considering everybody in surrounding areas are getting it at $3 a foot.

What kind of price did marmon keystone give you?

85toyo said:
Besco quoted me 95 a stick for .120 wall. Seems high as hell considering everybody in surrounding areas are getting it at $3 a foot.

What kind of price did marmon keystone give you?
[/quote

Marmon was in the $3 range.

If you go to Besco try to get the older gentleman to work your ticket. Let him know you are paying in cash. Small talk about golf may help as well.

Had good dealings with besco, speaking of that, I need to procure some driveshaft material from them. Where is rhyerson and are they open later, weekends?

if yall will get me a order together I get a great deal at marmon on all they carry
I save people enough money that LC drove down from soth Carolina to buy from me