• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Steering Tie Rod

offroadwerks said:
I don't mean it's now allowed to be, I meant it isn't possible that it is more than a couple degrees off which shouldn't be an issue. I see how my wording may have been confusing...and probably still is.

Doesn't ackerman have just as much to do with wheel base? Also someone mentioned it will push the buggy when steering but more then likely you won't ever be going fast enough to feel this effect

While it looks odd it would at least be worth a try to me. I like the DE ram behind the axle idea the best personally. That's what I have on my front rockwell and there are no worries about it hitting rocks.

Re: Re: Steering Tie Rod

JDodd said:
Doesn't ackerman have just as much to do with wheel base? Also someone mentioned it will push the buggy when steering but more then likely you won't ever be going fast enough to feel this effect
Ackerman is based on wb, but most offroad rigs don't have Ackerman close enough for it to really matter. Ackerman also can help at slow speeds. Mainly want it to be as good as possible.

Re: Re: Re: Steering Tie Rod

TBItoy said:
Well if they angle in, then it'll definitely have better Ackerman with the arms facing backwards.

I would think that mounting a double ended cylinder on the back of the axle would be the best solution, as it is stationary and moves in a fixed location rather than swinging around and such like a tierod/SE ram setup.
X2

Can you remove the spacer under the arms and split the difference between your current 2 options? Would that clear the links and the chunk?

There may not be a problem with running the tie-rod like you have it, but I sure wouldn't want that if I was spending all the time and money putting a buggy together. "Hey, nice buggy. Wtf is up with the steering? " will be the conversation burned into your brain. Find a way to fix it right IMO.

bgredjeep said:
Can you remove the spacer under the arms and split the difference between your current 2 options? Would that clear the links and the chunk?

There may not be a problem with running the tie-rod like you have it, but I sure wouldn't want that if I was spending all the time and money putting a buggy together. "Hey, nice buggy. Wtf is up with the steering? " will be the conversation burned into your brain. Find a way to fix it right IMO.
I'm not sure what spacer your talking about? But the rest of it is exactly how I think! Man that's a good lookin buggy but you sure did do some Afro engineering on that steering!

al1tonyota said:
I'm not sure what spacer your talking about?
Yeah, I looked again. I thing its just an optical illusion on the passenger side. Looked like there was a 1" spacer under the arm.