• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

steering valve options

dove'd85

are basically endless....

i am planning on running a single ended 8in ram, and i don't no enough about hydraulic systems to no what steering valve i need...

i no i need one that is non reactive, there are ones that flow around 4 cubic inches on up to 17 cubic inches?

:corn:

check out Billia Vistas tech article on pirate 4x4 or call Scott at Rockstomper and he can give you the 411. It will depend on wether its single or double ended, ram size, bore size, how many turns you want lock to lock.

stan

There are three things to look for.
1. Open Center.
2. Non-load reactive.
3. Somewhere around 160cc per/rev. will give you a little quicker than stock steering with a 2x8 ram.

There are three things to look for.
1. Open Center.
2. Non-load reactive.
3. Somewhere around 160cc per/rev. will give you a little quicker than stock steering with a 2x8 ram.

i thought that open center and non-load reactive were the same thing:eeek:

i thought that open center and non-load reactive were the same thing:eeek:

Open center means that the pressure ports are open with the steering in neutral. (aka not steering)

Non-load reactive means that outside forces (like rocks and obstacles) will not affect steering. This means there will be no feeling in the wheel.

Load-reactive (like the ones PSC sells) give you a return to center type feeling in the wheel. Although this never works out it is still popular to run these so you can "feel" feed back in the wheel. This will require more input from the driver to steer.

I could care less about feeling an obstacle in the way of the tires. I just want the steering to move with little effort. That is why I said non-load reactive. I've tried both.

Ebay is a pretty good resource for this stuff. I have all the pdf's for danfoss, and charlynn steering valves. So if you need a part# checked out to see what the valve is let me know.

Look in the tractor/ equipment section under steering valve, danfoss, charlynn....

Open center means that the pressure ports are open with the steering in neutral. (aka not steering)

Non-load reactive means that outside forces (like rocks and obstacles) will not affect steering. This means there will be no feeling in the wheel.

Load-reactive (like the ones PSC sells) give you a return to center type feeling in the wheel. Although this never works out it is still popular to run these so you can "feel" feed back in the wheel. This will require more input from the driver to steer.

I could care less about feeling an obstacle in the way of the tires. I just want the steering to move with little effort. That is why I said non-load reactive. I've tried both.

Ebay is a pretty good resource for this stuff. I have all the pdf's for danfoss, and charlynn steering valves. So if you need a part# checked out to see what the valve is let me know.

Look in the tractor/ equipment section under steering valve, danfoss, charlynn....

thanks for clearing that up for me:awesomework:

um ya i was looking at a char-lynn valve part model number 211-1009 it's non load reactive and retails for around 400 bucks in my surplus center catalog

i was also looking at one from rock stomper, part number 160NR retails for 350

The 211-1009 is a series 6, open center, non load reaction, with about 120 cc displacement... The port size is 3/4-16...

The only problem I see with this valve is it has a flow rating of 4-8(gpm)... That might starve your system of fluid pretty easy...

I picked up a series 4 with all the same specs as the one you posted except mine has a 9/16-18 port size and only a 4(gpm) flow rate...

The 211-1009 is a series 6, open center, non load reaction, with about 120 cc displacement... The port size is 3/4-16...

The only problem I see with this valve is it has a flow rating of 4-8(gpm)... That might starve your system of fluid pretty easy...

I picked up a series 4 with all the same specs as the one you posted except mine has a 9/16-18 port size and only a 4(gpm) flow rate...

:cool: good info so what is the part number on the series 4 that you bought? the one i spoke of in my last post has a flow rating of 4-8 gpr and a displacement of 7.3 something? and the fitting size is sae 8 i assume that converts to 3/4?

3/4 is huge for a single ram. Most 2" cyl will have a max of 1\2" port size which is still overkill for steering.
I could also explain why open center is important as opposed to closed center but I doubt anyone cares so f-it!:beer:

I was running a mod toyota pump but now a KRC high output (TC style).
37" tires. I dont know the lock to lock right off hand but its pretty quick maybe 2.5??

:cool: good info so what is the part number on the series 4 that you bought? the one i spoke of in my last post has a flow rating of 4-8 gpr and a displacement of 7.3 something? and the fitting size is sae 8 i assume that converts to 3/4?

Char-Lynn 241-1004... 7.3ci is the same as 120cc...

SAE #8 should be 1/2"

4= 1/4
6= 3/8
8= 1/2
10= 5/8
12= 3/4
16= 1"
20= 1.25"

FYI. I get excited when I know something!:redneck:

The Char-Lynn pdf of the manual says it's 3/4... But, I've know literature to be wrong before...

Char-Lynn 241-1004... 7.3ci is the same as 120cc...

i don't see a char-lynn valve with that number? and the ports on all the vavles i have seen have either been SAE 6 or 8.. only thing that has been 3/6-16 has been a cylinder end

The Char-Lynn pdf of the manual says it's 3/4... But, I've know literature to be wrong before...

mines off ther first forklift I found. Stock Gm pump, 2x8 ram, a cooler, and its 3-3.5 turns lock to lock. It dry steers 53s with one finger with ease. Its a charlyn valve.:cool:

got a part number on that valve?

Latest posts