• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Strut Compressor Alternative?

tobyw

A buddy is looking for help installing a leveling kit on his '08 Tundra. I've never worked with struts, so I'm wondering if there is a viable DIY alternative to taking the struts off and running them down to Bob's Screen Door & Chassis Shop and paying him $50 to do the deed?

Most all rental shops rent spring compressors. I've heard that Pep Boys will loan a tool for no charge with a deposit.

You can just about buy a set at Harbor freight for 50 bucks.

Do you even need to pull the strut apart? Aren't most lifts for struts just spacers that go above the strut assembly?

That's what I thought when I offered my shop and services for the install... Turns out this particular kit requires disassembly of the strut, and the spacer actually replaces the rubber isolater between the coil and the top "cap" of the strut assembly :mad:

He is currently looking at returning this kit and going with a different one.

Be careful with struts. Don't go cheap on those tools. You're compressing the springs and if that tool breaks sheet can go downhill real fast. I've heard of people losing legs due to those blowin apart.

Too bad you weren't closer Toby, I'd hook you up!

I appreciate that!!! Luckily for me, he was able to return the original kit and replace it with one that simply puts the spacer above the strut assembly. 2 hours, DONE. :awesomework:

Latest posts