• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Subject: Leaf Springs Q: Longer leaves are better but...

Boxxerace

Longer leaf springs giving you more articulation is a good thing in our little world. However, where is the point of diminishing return? How long is too long and such?

It seems Deaver (http://www.deaverspring.com/BajaBushing.htm) and Alcan (http://www.alcanspring.com/orbit-eye.htm) are good builders to consider if building leaf springs. In either case I am sure they are pretty flexible in building what you want, but that is the thing. If you are going to build suspension based on leaf springs what are the things to consider?

Without much question, it makes sense to consider the ball-pivot bushing (or orbit eye as Alcan calls them). Does this preclude you from using a military wrap spring?

What about basic principles. Ignoring factors like ideal axle placement, should there be parts of the spring that are longer, for example, the area between the front eye and the center pin? What about heights and shackle length's. Remember, ignore all real life factors. What's the cheeze? 80" springs with the center pin 2/3rds of the way back?

I know plenty of you have broken sets after sets of leafy's, so perhaps that should be included in this discussion. Longevity should be a factor in whatever design is ideal I imagine.

I might have answered one of my questions as this photo illustrates:

orbiteyetwist2.jpg

i learned alot about leafs and the way they will act VS shackle angle,also how things change as far as how they are mounted (front eye higher or lower than rear eye) alot of oval track cars run rear leafs,and there is some considerable knowledge to be found in that area.if one knows how to search the interweb! i do know that the shackle angle will make the spring act stiffer or softer and not actually change the rate. i also know that 56" leafs on the front of my K5 flex like mad but bend the mains very easily,but they work fine out back..52" up front im happy with and it still flexes as well and drives better for me... how long is too long?? depends on the vehicle,spring,and usage of said vehicle...

31"of spring behind the rear axle kinda sucks. They flex like mad, just don't cut or remove the overloads if you don't want bent springs. They don't like to be inverted. I'm on my third set on the K5 and this set I'll keep the overloads and will be making a traction bar. The first set lasted 4-5 years, the second set lasted one trip up the crack at Funny Rock. It's amazing what propane will do for a rig:awesomework: