• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Super Joint caps pushing out / burning up

Poke

spidertrax 40 spline with super joints 50 degree steering, 4400 car.

The caps pushed out after a few short miles. They burned the grease up, had high temp discoloration, and the caps took material off the cross.

So we put new joints and caps in, heavy yukon grease, tack welded the caps in 4 places.

One of the caps broke the welds and started spinning after a few miles again.

What could be going on to create high heat and spin welded caps off?

I raced on super joints for 3 years in a Dana 60 and never saw this.

I believe those joints are made for LOW SPEED usage. When you said "miles" it makes me think you're driving on them with no front lock outs. Just speckle-atin'....

Don't quote me on that but I know a few people running super joints in U4 vehicles with great success.

Re: Re: Super Joint caps pushing out / burning up

Bebop said:
Don't quote me on that but I know a few people running super joints in U4 vehicles with great success.
Probably Ford powered and can't go fast enough to do any harm.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

So it's pushing the snap ring off the cap?

Are you "relaxing" the joint (rapping the yokes around after installation so it moves smooth/freely in every direction)?

How do they feel when you install them?

tonybolton said:
I believe those joints are made for LOW SPEED usage. When you said "miles" it makes me think you're driving on them with no front lock outs. Just speckle-atin'....

You have dated info. My first set also came with a warning on not exceeding 25mph or something. They no longer have that warning and Yukon knows people are racing on them....

Also I raced on them for years with out issue, just like dozens of other guys.

Lockouts on a spider trax in an ultra4 car? Are you qualified to be in this thread? :fish:

TBItoy said:
So it's pushing the snap ring off the cap?

Are you "relaxing" the joint (rapping the yokes around after installation so it moves smooth/freely in every direction)?

How do they feel when you install them?

yes caps are pushing the snap rings off and now breaking tig tag welds.

I have never relaxed a joint. I don't think I ever cycled them around.

Bebop said:

I will quote you because its true.

Poke said:
You have dated info. My first set also came with a warning on not exceeding 25mph or something. They no longer have that warning and Yukon knows people are racing on them....

Lockouts on a spider trax in an ultra4 car? Are you qualified to be in this thread? :fish:

Seeing that you're coming to a random local hobby 4wheeling message forum and asking for RACING advice....are you qualified to actually be racing? Perhaps ask the 20-30-40 people that finish ahead of you for advice maybe?

I apologize for not keeping my documents up to date on joints that I "NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH".

Poke said:

No he posts in every thread on Hardline whether he knows what he's talking about or not.

I racked my brain on this one and only have a few ideas, none of which may be viable...
-bent housing?
-bent shafts and/or shaft ears out of round maybe just enough that you wouldn't notice but enough to cause this problem?
-QC at Yukon and you got a bad joint

Throw a shitbox Spicer joint in there and go peel out for a few miles and see what happens. You wouldn't be out much $$$.

tonybolton said:
Seeing that you're coming to a random local hobby 4wheeling message forum and asking for RACING advice....are you qualified to actually be racing? Perhaps ask the 20-30-40 people that finish ahead of you for advice maybe?

I apologize for not keeping my documents up to date on joints that I "NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH".
response of the week right here :dblthumb:, really can't understand why someone ask for advice then receives advice the bashes said advice, typical rich folk beating on poor folk a I guess :stir:

redneckengineered said:
I racked my brain on this one and only have a few ideas, none of which may be viable...
-bent housing?
-bent shafts and/or shaft ears out of round maybe just enough that you wouldn't notice but enough to cause this problem?

Throw a shitbox Spicer joint in there and go peel out for a few miles and see what happens. You wouldn't be out much $$$.

I can throw out random idea's like that if I wanted to as well...

Hell, try airing your tires up to 70 psi. Should make the axle turn less RPM's and create less heat. Awesome...I'm a genius. Please contribute to my Patreon account.

Sorry I gave out useless advice in your winch fail thread.

Zjman said:
response of the week right here :dblthumb:, really can't understand why someone ask for advice then receives advice the bashes said advice, typical rich folk beating on poor folk a I guess :stir:

Naaaaa...I don't know what I'm talking about. Maybe I should go comment in the WIRING DIAGRAM thread. Oh...wait...I don't know jack **** about wiring diagrams so I won't post in that one.

****...everybodys sucha hater... :rolleyes:

redneckengineered said:
No he posts in every thread on Hardline whether he knows what he's talking about or not.

-bent housing?

Something has to be off. Good thought on the spicers. I was kicking that idea around myself. This is my second set of super joints on the axle in a week so I highly doubt I got 2 bad sets. We can always through the shafts on a lathe and check the roundness.... but its both sides.

The other thing we thought about was maybe its the 50 degree steering with high HP. crank the wheel and hit the gas even a little bit a few times driving around its so much stress with the spool that it spits the caps out.

Zjman said:

:rolf: point to the advice I received? Check my lock outs and slow down? come on man. This guy steps into a tech thread not knowing anything about the axle being discussed has dated info on the u-joints and I become the evil rich guy. :wtflol: Did I fall into Pirate?

I am here for real idea's not some bull **** millennial whining. Stop by a race and have a beer by a camp fire with us or hang out online and bitch. either way its your decision.

The only Pirate here is you.....of the Butt kind.

I've never heard of you...for all I know you're some wanker with too much cash that bought a 4400 car to do donuts in mudholes on your brothers sisters cousins farm. Please forgive me, or anyone here for not resolving the problem you've had for weeks in a few hours.

Not too sure on intelligence a person is asking a HIGH SPEED RACING question on a sight called Hardline CRAWLERS is.... :gtfo:

I have racked my brain on what would cause such a thing and all I can thing only thing I could think of would be the stub shaft not being supported well and causing slop on the rotation which would be transferred to the Ujoint ends making them want to sling out of the joint does that make any sense??????

Hard to do on a Spidertrax. The stubs are super short and bolted to the UBs.

Poke said:
Something has to be off. Good thought on the spicers. I was kicking that idea around myself. This is my second set of super joints on the axle in a week so I highly doubt I got 2 bad sets. We can always through the shafts on a lathe and check the roundness.... but its both sides.

The other thing we thought about was maybe its the 50 degree steering with high HP. crank the wheel and hit the gas even a little bit a few times driving around its so much stress with the spool that it spits the caps out.

I thought about the 50 degree thing. That could very well be it, but don't a lot of the guys running Spidertrax junk turn 50 degrees with u-joints? I wouldn't think the actual brand/type of the joint would matter as long as the shafts are clearanced properly. Considering it's both sides it's most likely not a buggered shaft. I think your best bet at this point is to try some stock joints and just see what happens. Run some straight line stuff, then run some stuff at full lock or close to it with a lot of throttle. See what your results are. Either way it takes a lot to push out a tacked in cap. Before I went to CVs I tacked my caps in and never had an issue. How much power are you running?