• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Superduty unitbearing and 35 spline stubs?????

RustyC

Building a balljoint 609. My unit bearings are in great shape. I will be running drive flanges.
The way the unit bearing is designed the "spindle" turns with the shafts when using flanges. How important is the "spindle" needle bearing?
Can I have my unit bearings bored to 1.5" to make room for a 35 spline shaft and delete the needle bearing. Keeping the shaft to spindle tolerances close
to prevent axle deflection.
Does the large spacer near the yoke of the sub get bored and reused as well to keep the pain in the ass seal?

I have some Dana 50 short inner shafts I could have shortened and resplined. They measure 1.6" I think.

or

Will the 30 spline outers hold up to 37" tires on heavy H1 double beadlock wheels. and maybe a little water as well?
I have heard the 30 spline factory lockouts are weak.

Anyone have any experience with upgrading the stubs on Superduty axles?

Re: Re: Superduty unitbearing and 35 spline stubs?????

Yes u can have your unit bearings bored for 35 spline. Rocksolidperformance.com..here in Michigan does it. I believe the pia seal is not used.
Lockouts suck...id get slugs.
30 spline superduty outers have been working fine for me...so far. Easy fix if they do break.
Running 39.5 iroks, beadlocks normally round 5-7psi and a pretty heavy right foot. BUT only been running it for a year now.
Hope this helps, only reason i know its possible to do is i talked it over with rocksolidperformance and they do it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I would go with the 35 splines I've broke a pile of stock 30 in the superduty axle. One small bounce is all it would take and the would snap.

Re:

Update: I have now gone thru too many 30 spline stubs....lol
Have upgraded to 35spline chromos, units are bored out, with new slugs. Hope these are good to go!

sended frum dis stoopid fone

Re:

Bump this guy up, I'm considering doing 35 spline upgrade. From experiance what do machine shops charge for this kinda work. And what all is actually involved

Re: Re:

hjpcummins said:
Bump this guy up, I'm considering doing 35 spline upgrade. From experiance what do machine shops charge for this kinda work. And what all is actually involved
Are you going to be running drive slugs or locking hubs with the 35 spline upgrade?

Re:

Slugs, long story short. I was sold a super 60 that ended up being a 30 spline.. so I ordered 35 slugs and of course 5 hey don't fit so I'm looking into this mod

The spindle has to be bored to allow the 35 spline stub to fit through. If you are not running lockouts just bore the spindle. ECGS sells a bushing to be used if running lockouts. It is not needed if running slugs. I recently did mine and installation is straight forward. No idea on machine shop cost through.
So far the Ten Factory stubs are holding up to water in the tires and V6 woopow! thumb.gif

I took them to our machine shop at work. Then set a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts on top of them. Couple days later I checked on them and they were done.

hjpcummins said:
Rusty how did you go about boring the hub out
I used a boring head in a mill. Blocked up and toe clamped the wheel mounting surface on the table Pretty easy, didn't have to remove studs or anything like that.

Re:

Since I don't have direct access to a mill or anything to that manner, guess I'll ask around .

From the more iv read this seems to be simple conversion.

I know its prolly a lot more money but what if you bought new lifetime units from napa that are from a super 60 cause they are a 35 spline stub shaft from factory if im thinking correct then if you have one wear out just have them replace it and not have to go through the drillin/ milling out again

Re: Re: Superduty unitbearing and 35 spline stubs?????

alscott said:
I know its prolly a lot more money but what if you bought new lifetime units from napa that are from a super 60 cause they are a 35 spline stub shaft from factory if im thinking correct then if you have one wear out just have them replace it and not have to go through the drillin/ milling out again
Pretty sure he has a pre 05 super 60 if it's 30 spline.

Any factory 35 spline unit bearing 60 will be the larger 05+ style and they won't interchange with the older axles

Re:

Correct I was told 03' .

I'm not familiar with these axels at all. What is the actual difference between the pre 05 and post 05 hubs. What keeps them from being interchangeable

hjpcummins said:
Correct I was told 03' .

I'm not familiar with these axels at all. What is the actual difference between the pre 05 and post 05 hubs. What keeps them from being interchangeable
There is a huge thread on pirate "info on superduty Dana 60" that covers all 99+ axles.

In short, 05+ are a LOT bigger.

I read your cross post on MGO. Guess I'll go over it again I did see it was much larger but didn't read anything about it bolting up
Thanks

Re:

So I got around to pulling these things apart (super easy) from what I have read and gathered the unit bearing should be bored to 1.5"(1.3" currently) the inner knuckle seal can be taken.out permanently.
Only thing missing is what size am I boring out for the new needle bearing race? Part number?

In a few threads i also read the needle bearing can be done away with also.??

The needle bearings or aftermarket bushing can and should be deleted when running drive flanges. That way you keep as much material in the spindle for strength. The stub and the spindle turn together so they are not needed. Helps keep down shaft defection as well.