• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Superflext u joints in driveshafts

tonybolton

Bypass Crawler
http://www.fourwheeler.com/product-reviews/154-0605-jeep-u-joint-upgrade/

Does anyone here run these things?

I've never seen or noticed them out the trails, but always knew about them. Doing some nut/bolt maintenance on the rig a couple times and I've noticed the rear yoke kinda making a mark on the yoke valley. I wanna be cheap and just grind a lil, but this offset u joint might be better?

This is on a trail only rig with single 1350's at each end.

I run one one at the rear t-case output. It works well if you just need a little extra clearance on something that doesn't see highway speeds. its not a bandaid for major driveshaft issues but would probably be some cheap insurance in your case.

Re:

I got one on my front drive shaft at the axle end but haven't used it yet. All I found on them they fixed binding/rubbing at flexing angles but not bad geometry. I also did it to not grind and keep yoke strength, supposed to flex better than a ground down yoke too.

Cool. From a non-educated in mechanical engineering point of view, they would appear to be weaker than a regular joint. Not just at an angle, but in linear torque applications as well.

I've got limit straps in the middle of my front and rear axles but have had a bolt break without knowing and the axle would drop until the shocks bottomed out which was about another 3 or 4 inches.

Those joints are pricey, though. I also like how they have zerk fittings on each cap. I'm a big fan of LUUUUUBIN' stuff! ;)

Had one on the front of my old buggy, LP60. Driveshaft angle was a little steep and it bound at full droop and this cured the bind issue. When they say it vibrates, they ain't kidding... sumbitch felt like it was going to explode at 40mph+. That said it never broke, beat on it pretty good, had 43" stickies, couple sets of r&p, and a few 35 spline chromo axles shafts but never had any issues with the driveshafts.

Be sure to grease every ride :****: I ran one on back of t case till I forgot to grease on ride an burnt it up. But I just idle around also :woot:

Been running one on front side of my t-case for almost 2 years now with no problems... Just routine greasing is all I have ever done with it. I did also notice the high speed vibrating.

Re:

Going on 5 years with one at midship joint for front drive. Never needed replacing, but did spin the caps constantly until I bout glo girdles. Tom woods brand 1350.

Matt