• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

sway bars

stuftmunky2k

Buggy has way to much body roll. looking at putting a currie antirock sway bar in the rear to try and help it out. was wondering if anyone has had experience with them. Currently running 16'' coilovers on all four corners on a tube chassis yota based buggy. After following Mo around hale Saturday makes me want ori's but I definitely need to do something about this body roll I currently have gets dangerous at times.

No need for the swaybar....yet...
The coilovers need a little bit of work, mounting/adjusting, pressures... Dude, the buggy did great.... it really didnt look tippy like you might think.

ordered my new masters today so hopefully next time I will actually have some decent brakes. Def need to work on the coilovers a little bit they are getting better need to toe the rears in a little bit getting into the tires a **** hair.

Did you ever figure out what was causing your body roll? I'm currently in the same situation with a Toyota truggy on 14" coilovers on all 4 corners? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

running one with my Fox COs and it seems to work pretty good. definitely seems to be little body roll with the buggy imo.

not sure what size bar is being used

Swaybar is definitely good! Check out tk1 before purchasing the anti rock, better quality in my opinion.

Re:

I was told to plug 3 of the 4 bleed screws but that was for kings c/o. Helped a lot. There is guy on here who seems to know a lot about shock tuning, contact him.

Re:

Mortalis5509 said:
I was told to plug 3 of the 4 bleed screws but that was for kings c/o. Helped a lot. There is guy on here who seems to know a lot about shock tuning, contact him.
Did you do that? I would like to know, and if so did it help?

Re:

So I have a toyota buggy on 14 coilovers and had wayne from alltec tune my shocks he actually had to pull my bleed screws out to make my rear ride ok i have a little more body roll but nothing bad or dangerous if you plug those holes it will make it very hard to get it to ride good if your super light those holes are basicly letting fluid bypass the piston taking force or energy out of the shock but it would make that shock not move as much at slow speed wich would make you lean less but ride bad my saw shocks have 3 bleeds I think but kings may have more I'm still a nubi you would be better off to get them tuned and thrn add the sway bar if you need to that was my plan but I haven't needed a sway bar yet I also only have 17 inch belly hight so I think that helps

CHEVEEP_POS said:
Did you ever figure out what was causing your body roll? I'm currently in the same situation with a Toyota truggy on 14" coilovers on all 4 corners? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is some tuning you can do yourself without any disassembly. Move the dual rate slider stop down closer to the slider. This will make you transition to the lower stiffer spring earlier, thus reducing body roll somewhat.

Edited for quoting the older post from June.

RustyC said:
Here is some tuning you can do yourself without any disassembly. Move the dual rate slider stop down closer to the slider. This will make you transition to the lower stiffer spring earlier, thus reducing body roll somewhat.

RustyC nailed it.

Sway bars are a great way to improve handling but there are a few things you need to try first.

Get the right spring rates
Target 1" of preload in front and 2-3" in the rear

Set your dual rate nuts
About 1" above the slider in front
About 2" above the slider in the rear

Tune the shocks
Correctly tuned shocks will increase stability

If you've done all those things then you should figure out a sway bar.

I agree.
I just finished my first coilover truck this year. I initially thought I would need to add a sway bar over the winter.
I made a bunch of changes to valving, spring rates, and crossover nut position since July. The last ride I had it out on I was side-hilling **** like a leaf spring truck and carrying the front end over ledges without a harsh landing. Night and day from where I started. I'm currently not planning on a sway bar for next season.

Here's a few tips (some already mentioned). I'm by no means an expert. I've just read a lot and tried a lot of **** since I got the truck together.-

1. Keep notes. If something doesn't work, you can always go back. I have a notebook of every setting I've changed and a description of what I thought after each ride. Think of it like documenting the setup on a racecar.

2. Know what you have. Take your shocks apart. Figure out what the valving is, how many bleed holes are open, and what pressure you have in them. Once you understand what's going on inside, you'll be able to plan future moves. When you reassemble, slide an o-ring on the outside section of shaft. It'll let you track your travel.

3. Get your top pre-load settings right. You have to fight between desired ride height, "gangsta lean", and the 3-legged table effect of supporting a truck on 4 points. Each corner has a different weight, so there's no reason the preload has to be exactly the same on any 2 corners. With 4 points holding up the chassis, you will always have a "soft foot". It's sometimes difficult to determine, but I found brake torquing the buggy in forward & reverse helped determine which shock needed a little more preload.

4. Play with your crossover nuts. The best description I read was that it's a game between stopping body roll and having the ride too harsh. Using just the front crossover nuts to control body roll makjes the truck tippy when the front end comes up. Just the rear makes it sketchy on off camber downhills. Try to get both ends working together. If the crossover nut is 1" above the slide, it doesn't mean the shock moves 1" before it hits. It depends on the combined spring rate you're running, so front and rear will most likely be different.

5. Make big changes at first and only change 1 thing at a time. This will let you know if you're heading in the right direction. You need to get it 80% right before you can think about fine tuning.

6. Take video. Even if it's having your buddy video a boring section or failing on an obstacle. Watch what the suspension is doing when you rewatch it. You'll learn a lot more about what you're feeling in the seat.

Like I said, I'm a noob with coilovers, but these have been my observations so far. There's a lot on the table to tune before dropping $500 on a sway bar.

Buggy only made it out on 4 trips this year. Every trip made slight adjustments. I adjusted the nut for the slider down to about 1'' from lower spring. I over think stuff way to much and it gets me in trouble. Buggy works amazing for what its built for which is crawling hooks amazing no complaints. Now anything higher speed little rougher ride. Now im not talking leaf spring rough but not like riding on a cloud and def feel the bumps. She smooth's out the faster you go, I do think the shocks need a little bit more loving but I don't know how much time and money I want to keep putting into these foas. Will hopefully get my new axles built this winter and get out of the Toyota axles so going to play with the mounting of the shocks then. But last few trips to Harlan I've talked about changing things around and people tell me to leave it alone and that it works amazing, but that's me in the driver seat and them watching. Damn if I do damn if I don't. can only do so much to a 200 dollar chassis.