• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

switching short arm to long arm?

Spudd

Im driving a 98 tj and i am really tired of the crapy ride that the short arm provieds. So i was wondering if i can just switch the lower control arms from short to long with out changing anything else? If so, where do i mount the new brackets for the control arm? I want to build my own and need to know where to mount things to make this as accurate as possible. Also do i have to link the rear or can i just switch out the arms. Any imput would be appritiated cause im kind of at a stand still at the moment. :mad: Thanks.

i know that in the front you would have to change upper and lower but i have a 4" procomp with short but building my own seems alot cheeper. i have looked a pictures and it does not seem hard to make the lower and upper arms for the front just need to make a bracket for the upper arm to bolt to the lower at an angle. Then the rear bracket that gets welded on to the frame futher back by the skid plate. What else would i have to change on the front?

What you are describing is radius arms (rubicon express / fabtech / tnt customs). Avoid these setups if you can.

There are lots of folks who do homebrew longarm kits on their TJ's.

Clayton's long arm kit (again, radius arms) is by far the best bang for the buck. It includes everything you need to get a nice longarm setup on your rig.

If you are more into the serious do it yourself go to www.polyperformance.com for some frame and axle brackets along with suspension joints and start going crazy. They sell everything you could need to do a long arm kit on your TJ.

Many folks go with a front 3 link design with a panhard (track) bar. I would stay away from radius arms if you could.

If you do go with some sort of home brew diy kit check out "Full Traction" suspension systems and copy their designs.

Also, many of the suspension manufacturers will sell you just the parts to their kits. You don't have to buy the whole system. For instance, the clayton long arm system with lift for a TJ is Around $3000, if you call the company and just want to buy the arms and frame brackets without the rest of the system, they would be more than willing to accommodate.

Last edited:
I have a Full Traction Long Arm setup for the rear off my rig I will sell you cheap. This is a Tri-link design and very nice.

Let me know if you're interested....

Bill

Its nice spending someone elses money, I suckered my buddy into buying the Clayton long arm kit for his TJ.....It rides so nice, wish my YJ drove like his:booo:

DSC00804.jpg

1113091742a.jpg

thanks for all the imput i like the web sites. im going to copy the designs and buy all my joints from both websites. i will post pictures as i build my tj. i want to run a custom set up in the front and maybe run some shock hoops threw my hood with coil overs instead of running coils and shocks. Thanks again. Pm sent-Bill.