• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tagging a buggy as a Jeep or truck - legal?

Beyer

DC1
The neighbors called the cops on me for driving up and down the street (in low range ::)) and now I am thinking......
What if I found an old wrecked vehicle and got the title and VIN number and put liability insurance and a tag on my buggy. Would I be legal to drive it (besides the no fender and maybe headlight height)? I am worried about the 'no insurance' or 'no tag' ticket more than I am the 'big mud tire' ticket.
Hell, my jeep was just about 1/2 a tub and 1/2 a frame and that was it. Could I just say that the frame was trashed, so I had to modify it to a tube chassis? :dunno:
Would I be in alot of trouble with the law or insurance company?

i live in ga and we have a couple tube buggies tag as cj 5s and don't catch any slack. we also pay attention to the road laws when we drive em'

My buggy is a 1974 FJ-40. I even have the VIN tag for it. I plan on stamping in the VIN on the frame at some point too.

Mine is a 76 CJ-8. I have a ving plate and I bolted it to the chassis. I have a tag and insurance for theft and fire.

Find an in-state title and go with that. It is easy in Alabama

Matt O. said:
Mine is a 76 CJ-8. I have a ving plate and I bolted it to the chassis. I have a tag and insurance for theft and fire.

Find an in-state title and go with that. It is easy in Alabama

wow...rare ride Matt :flipoff1:

supposed to make mine a 79 CJ-7 as soon as my friend locates his title and tag for me :)

I cant see paying $1200 yr for insurance because its a "hi risk" vehicle....looking to do the same as Matt - fire & theft...

I have my 85 Toyota vin plates and title sitting at home for a rainy day thumb.gif and plan on doing the same as y'all if/when I ever do a buggy.

Wish ya were in Kansas cuz I'd hook you up with my agent... my toyota on 42's N tons is my daily driver and he knows about it... thinks that ****'s cool thumb.gif They don't have to know anything if you just are liability---that protects you from being sued.

Just be very careful on your insurance.
You need an agreed value policy to do what you guys are discussing. If it gets stolen, or burns you will get book value on whatever you have it registered and insured as. So a '79 CJ-7 will payout something stupid, $1000 maybe.
Tagging is a whole other issue, you can get tagged fairly easily if you ask me, and I think ins. is fairly easy to get as well, its if you have a claim, don't think cause you are paying a policy means you will recover the cost on a custom built to the tits buggy.

Sorry Beyer way off base for your question.

Where do you live? Ok? Or Kansas? Kansas forget about it. Oklahoma you have a prayer.
Even if you do get it tagged and registered and insured for the road. WHY? You're illegal as **** for the road. Why drive it on the road? Why risk it?

InDaShop said:
Sorry Beyer way off base for your question.

Where do you live? Ok? Or Kansas? Kansas forget about it. Oklahoma you have a prayer.
Even if you do get it tagged and registered and insured for the road. WHY? You're illegal as **** for the road. Why drive it on the road? Why risk it?

Oklahoma. I just need to drive up and down the street and maybe from trail to trail at Clayton. Like yesterday, I was testing out my new STAK case (still no good ::)) and the neighbors called me in. I can't even drive up and down the road to 'test' my ****. i fugging hate living in town. looking for a new house now.

Wyatt---why forget about it in Kansas??? :dunno: Also, I assume my vehicle is a complete loss if it gets wrecked... Unless someone else's fault 100%... You just gotta "drive it like it's got liability only". I will not make an insurance claim on it... Cuz insurance wouldn't even cover the cost of my front axle. You gotta pick up the pieces and move on if something happens----luckily we aren't on the streets daily with our rockcrawler "toys"

Got some friends that are cops in GB and when we did stuff there's no tire limitation(as far as fenders, they are not required)--only things I can see is catalytic converters, turn signals, mirrors---where most of us would fall short.

JT has or at least had his buggy tagged/licensed/insured in Colorado and would hop on I-25 and never got hassled out there... I forget what his was, either toyota or jeep of some sort.

If you get a title.... way I do it is have my junker listed as my "to/ from work" for liability only and excursion as "pleasure use" the difference pays for the Toyota's insurance. I didn't fool anyone, my agent plays with things a bit. I'm still covered the same but they fool with the categories and it will help your rates. If I get in an accident on my way home from work in the X, I'm still covered.

InDaShop said:
You need an agreed value policy to do what you guys are discussing. If it gets stolen, or burns you will get book value on whatever you have it registered and insured as. So a '79 CJ-7 will payout something stupid, $1000 maybe.

that $1200 a yr was agreed value (25k)...but I think the high price was due to the fact it didnt have a VIN and was somehow catagorized as "High risk"....just another insurance scam considering the rig spends 98% of its time locked up in the garage... for reference I pay $1050 yr for my tow rig AND my wifes DD - full coverage..

Unlike beyer this thing will never see the road (besides tires are too expensive and hard to come by!)....just looking to do a title only in my name so i can insure it...

Rob, Kansas inspections are the toughest **** I've ever seen. I cant even believe the stuff they go into.
Most states you can get around them, but Kansas unless you have a pre-existing Kansas title off a currently registered vehicle you're screwed because Kansas requires Highway Patrol inspections for all builds, or out-of-state titles. Even if its an existing kansas title, and it hasnt been currently registered you have to get it reinspected (i.e. an Offroad Title not in the sense we think of offroad) These happen all the time when someone stops driving a vehicle and park it in the barn or what not and stop keeping the registration current. As soon as it goes in to be brought up to current they require and inspection.
Kansas is tough as ****. Ok, we tried to get around one by registering it in another state, got it passed got it tagged, then tried to transfer into Kansas, and the HP denied the fawk out of it for "non-stock components" as well as violations of the Kansas Motor Vehicle Code.
Like I said Kansas equals tough as ****.

Texas, is tough but nothing like Kansas. No idea on Okies, I have heard they are very similiar to Texas and do able. Then we have nothing on Bama, they will let you register anything as long as you have paperwork and give them money. All of those Title Service Companies on the net for helping guys register hot rods that they've built from parts are in Alabama. They will sell you a title for your vehicle with good VIN for like $350, then you just need to go to your DMV with paperwork and register. But it wont work in Kansas due to the inspection of all out-of-state vehicles on Title Transfers.

I know thats a rant

InDaShop said:
Tagging is a whole other issue, you can get tagged fairly easily if you ask me, and I think ins. is fairly easy to get as well, its if you have a claim, don't think cause you are paying a policy means you will recover the cost on a custom built to the tits buggy.

I use Farmers Insurance with $25K stated on the single seater. I have used Progressive in the past, but they no longer will write new policies on vehicles over 4" lift. purple Jeep is with Progressive at $35K stated value.

John Galbreath Jr. said:
I use Farmers Insurance with $25K stated on the single seater. I have used Progressive in the past, but they no longer will write new policies on vehicles over 4" lift. purple Jeep is with Progressive at $35K stated value.

Yeah I have stated value on mine, you need a bill of sale or receipts to "show" the value. My policy is written and stated that I am covered for 25k in the case of fire/theft, I think it also covers medical payments associated with an accident. I use Farmer's, my agent is the ****. I told her that it is a custom off road buggy, registered as an old jeep but it is valued at much more than that, and then told her what I wanted. I think mine costs $60/month.

InDaShop said:
Rob, Kansas inspections are the toughest **** I've ever seen. I cant even believe the stuff they go into.
Most states you can get around them, but Kansas unless you have a pre-existing Kansas title off a currently registered vehicle you're screwed because Kansas requires Highway Patrol inspections for all builds, or out-of-state titles. Even if its an existing kansas title, and it hasnt been currently registered you have to get it reinspected (i.e. an Offroad Title not in the sense we think of offroad) These happen all the time when someone stops driving a vehicle and park it in the barn or what not and stop keeping the registration current. As soon as it goes in to be brought up to current they require and inspection.
Kansas is tough as ****. Ok, we tried to get around one by registering it in another state, got it passed got it tagged, then tried to transfer into Kansas, and the HP denied the fawk out of it for "non-stock components" as well as violations of the Kansas Motor Vehicle Code.
Like I said Kansas equals tough as ****.

Texas, is tough but nothing like Kansas. No idea on Okies, I have heard they are very similiar to Texas and do able. Then we have nothing on Bama, they will let you register anything as long as you have paperwork and give them money. All of those Title Service Companies on the net for helping guys register hot rods that they've built from parts are in Alabama. They will sell you a title for your vehicle with good VIN for like $350, then you just need to go to your DMV with paperwork and register. But it wont work in Kansas due to the inspection of all out-of-state vehicles on Title Transfers.

I know thats a rant

OK I wasn't worried about mine because I let my tags expire and have never had inspections when that happened... I had to pay back registration before but that's it---figured that would be the case on mine... Maybe not?? Anything out of state and KS fawks you I agree---but as long as it's in state I've never heard of problems.

So what happens if I get a title and VIN number from an old junker in a field that has not been tagged in years? What do I have to do to catch that sheat up?

Beyer said:
So what happens if I get a title and VIN number from an old junker in a field that has not been tagged in years? What do I have to do to catch that sheat up?
Find out from the County Treasures office if you need it inspected or not. If not, you should be golden. If so, you are prolly fawked.

Dont screw with having it inspected. Just go buy a wreck with a desireable title and go get a tag. pull a VIN plate off the wreck and rivet it on the buggy.

Latest posts