• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tahuya Camping Situation

BUILTnotBOT

Headed over to Tahuya last Saturday to stay overnight and then go wheelin Sunday morning. I figured with summertime and the new discover pass stuff going on they'd have all the campgrounds open and available but that wasnt the case. Every gate was closed exsept for the staging area and even there people had tents laid out in the parking spaces. I ended up turning around and staying at the Belfair State park down the rd for $22:mad:. I figured it was better spent there than heading all the way back home with a truck full of camping stuff and a cooler full of hot dogs and beer.

Talked to the Belfair state parks' ranger about why everything was shut down at Tahuya and he replied because of recent layoffs statewide for DNR employees and lack of funds for supervision of the campgrounds. He didnt hesitate to ask if i had a discover pass for my trailered Jeep too.Thought it would be a good idea to get the word out, just in case anyone is planning a camping trip over there sometime soon. If your headed over there go early for a decent spot at the staging area! Otherwise on top of the $ you spent for your discover pass, you might be paying $22 to camp down the road:looser:

ooooow:mad:, that steams me. The issue isn't keeping public lands it is those yahoos keeping eyes on us, on land that my tax dollars bought in the first place! It is our land, granted we shouldn't abuse it, but really it is our land!

on land that my tax dollars bought in the first place! It is our land, granted we shouldn't abuse it, but really it is our land!

Alot of the land was taken from families during the great depression when they could not pay the property taxes on it.

What do you expect from the Department of No Recreation? Five million a year is just enough to make sure all the gates stay locked.

This is bullshit. Lets all go camping up there real soon. We can just open the gates and display our new passes like they are cyptonite for the officers...

ooooow:mad:, that steams me. It is our land, granted we shouldn't abuse it, but really it is our land!

What do you expect from the Department of No Recreation? Five million a year is just enough to make sure all the gates stay locked.

This is bullshit. Lets all go camping up there real soon. We can just open the gates and display our new passes like they are cyptonite for the officers...

:beer: Happy to see you all feel the same way i do...

whole situation had me lit pretty good that this is what i just paid $70 in passes for (both tow rig and jeep) on top of that the $22 to camp down the rd.... to say the least just gonna go back to the old ways and trailer first thing in the morning. no more tahuya camping escapades for this guy

yah for us down here its either straddleline or tahuya... and both are really not that tough.

regardless of difficulty a day on southloop and mashing up yellow jacket and bigrock is still better than work and web wheeling anyday. just my 2cents

There is only about 1 mile of trail that requires 4wd and it was built by the Quadrapaws club. The "trails" provided by the DNR are flat dirt roads.

And they're fun for people with stock jeeps who consider that wheeling, just because you've got a built rig on tons doesn't mean some local kid does.

yah for us down here its either straddleline or tahuya... and both are really not that tough.

regardless of difficulty a day on southloop and mashing up yellow jacket and bigrock is still better than work and web wheeling anyday. just my 2cents

If I lived closer I'd probably feel the same way. But the drive and paying the stupid bridge toll aren't worth the couple hill climbs and boring trails for me.

If I lived closer I'd probably feel the same way. But the drive and paying the stupid bridge toll aren't worth the couple hill climbs and boring trails for me.

and thats totally understandable :redneck: not worth the drive for alot of folks. but its our backyard and BACK TO THE TOPIC were not allowed to camp the way we used to there anymore

****at least thats the way it was last saturday/sunday and if anyone has any updates or info about this it would be good to hear

"Their" logic on the multiple pass issue :eeek::rolleyes: From the DNR news letter.

Perhaps the biggest concern we've heard from the public is the one-pass-per-vehicle requirement. Many people have several vehicles they could potentially use to access recreation land. One of the common questions we hear is: Why can't a Discover Pass be transferred from one vehicle to another, instead of needing one for each vehicle?

During the 2011 session, legislators considered several options, including making the pass a per-person permit. But based on research conducted late last winter, we learned that a per-vehicle pass would generate sufficient revenue to make up for the loss of state General Funds. Sharing a pass among a household of vehicles, however, would not raise enough funds to maintain recreation access on state lands. Research showed that sharing a pass among households with multiple vehicles, for example, would decrease revenue by 20 to 25 percent. Therefore, the legislature chose to not further reduce the funding levels for all three agencies.

THEY DON"T NEED FUNDS!!! ALL THEY DO WITH FUNDS IS HIRE MORE LIBS, THAT ARE LOOKING TO GET US KICKED OUT!!!

Listen I am all for law enforcement, but they are stretching this too far. Deception pass (my literal backyard) has more than 20 officers/rangers there are towns that don't have that! And for what, is the maffia camping and picknicking? It is flat out unneccessary, and completely rediculous. If they need funds it is because, they are spending too much. Lay the dead weight off.

And another thing quit mowing the state parks, do we really need golf course style grass to enjoy "nature"?

And while I am ranting this winter the bridge was impassable, over Deception Pass, for a full day, frozen like a skating rink. I stuck in traffic (wound up leaving my truck overnight, and walked home) ask an SP trooper, his response was that the park didn't want to spend the money to sand it, the county claimed that it wasn't there job to, and the state refused to sand it unless the Park (which has a sand truck of it's own) reimbursed them. I say fire every last one of them and find people that want to do their jobs.

there is a meeting on the 7th at forza coffee in silverdale about what people want at tahuya, meaning obstacles and what not.
they say opening the campgrounds is the most requested thing.

there is a meeting on the 7th at forza coffee in silverdale about what people want at tahuya, meaning obstacles and what not.
they say opening the campgrounds is the most requested thing.

Is that a Quadrapaws meeting? The DNR has regular Tahuya meetings and there is a long term study/group DNR thing going on too.

Back on topic :rolleyes: I talked to our guy from the Q-paws (John George) at the region meeting last night. If you call or go online to the DNRs website you can reserve a spot at the Tahuya horse camp. Like Elbe its by reservation only. He said you can find the DNR volunteers or workers and get in if there is a spot open. The rest of the campgrounds are only open for events and holiday weekends.

Back on topic :rolleyes: I talked to our guy from the Q-paws (John George) at the region meeting last night. If you call or go online to the DNRs website you can reserve a spot at the Tahuya horse camp. Like Elbe its by reservation only. He said you can find the DNR volunteers or workers and get in if there is a spot open. The rest of the campgrounds are only open for events and holiday weekends.

And this needs to change so goto the quadrapaws meeting at forza in siverdale to state what you want. Ask the quadrapaws how you can help. We all know how much work they do in Tahuya and they have a great working relationship with the D.N.R. let them help you by showing your concerns to them.