• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

TCR takes 1st & 4th place @ Dirt Riot Race #2 @ Gray Rock

BMan

End result:
- Ging (my son) with Zac co-dogging took 1st place in UTV
- Richard with Ryan aka Skillet co-dogging took a 4th in Mod Trail.

Pre-Run:
- Going into it we new we had a few things to do on KitKat
- We re-wired the fan override switch relay. Turns out relay went bad. :(
- We took the new Fox Podium RC2s outta da box and slapped them on so tuning was needed.
- Ging and I did a prerun lap.
- KitKat was like a big stay puff marshmallow man and bottoming out.
- It was also getting real high on temps even with new sensor (as Jesse & Andrew predicted would happen).
- Shooting with IR the top hose was 135 degrees and bottom 90 degrees with radiator at 85ish but the aluminum thermostat housing was 240+ which is where the sensor is.
- We tracked down some header wrap (thanks to Chris May) since I was thinking the exhaust was forcing the aluminum housing temps higher. Helped but didn't solve the issue. Took more temps and decided to outboard the old temp sensor. Plan is to relocate the temp sensor up higher in the coolant circuit.
- We had to track down an extender for the shocks because they pu ta lip on them for protection and the regular screw on nozzle would not work. Thanks to Todd Krueger we were in business.
- We added more Nitrogen and that helped. We ran out of time to dial in compression and rebound since they're dual zone compression settings one for high speed and the other for low speed.
- Richard shows up....
- Him and Skillet head out.
- They take a "kicker jump" very hot and lands hard on the front end breaking off a bunch of ring gears in the front.
- No luck getting one local even after Ging, Zac and Skillet go into town searching at a 4x4 shop a guy who was wheeling there owns.
- Richard and I head to the shop and remove the ring gear so it can be run in 2WD

Race Day:

KitKat #13 UTV Class
- There are 4 ProUTV cars, 1 from Brave Motorsports and 3 from HESS racing and two sportsman. Us and Wes who is Derek West's engine builder. He had is 15 year old son codrive. He was the guy in the RzR at the Choccolocco race.
- We started 5th in line in front of Wes and behind the ProUTV cars.
- Ging kept it going well with no Pro cars passing him for 3 laps. On the second lap though Wes appeared to have passed him and some of the procars. I didn't think to much at the time but he came directly into the pits. We helped him change a rear passenger Rhino CV driveshaft that broke. Later he told me he thought he screwed up and short coursed it to get to the pits and Big decided this was the case.
- Ging passes the RzR in the pits getting fixed. We're now back in the lead.
- Finally the CV shaft is back on the RzR and they're off.
- At this point Zac and Ging ar calling in over the radio about the UTV cars rolling and breaking. BJ driving for Brave busts two rear Knine Racing Prototype shafts and one even caught on fire. :eek: One the Hess cars rolls...... Then Wes rolls.
- Ging comes up on him in the middle of the trail (caught in GoPro footage) and jumps out to help. They roll it over and they're all off.
- Zac and Ging are doing great still holding off everyone and then they hit a trench pretty hard and started up a steep hill climb and KitKat just dies! They try to start it but now the starter and/or idler gear and stripped because it's just grinding. Not sure why it died yet..... They start to roll back down the hill and he ditches it into the embankment. Ironcially it was right where the Brave car broke. I think it was a Hess Hex laid down by the Texas gang! ;) LOL!
- Wes goes on to complete 5 laps but in the end instead of Big DQing him for short coursing he bumped him to 2nd place and we get the win. Not the best way to get it but we'll take it. It's all apart of racing!
- We go out with Josh in the WEROCK/Dirt Riot Cherokee and recover KitKat via the main road coming in. We get held up near the start where the track crossed the road and into the woods. So we waited and watched as Richard and Skillet's take off.

#1111 Mod Trail Class
- Richard and Skillet off the line hammered the heck out of the 4.0 and came in hot and heavy into the first "kicker jump" all sideways, dust flying up and #1111 kicking it's butt out to the driver side. I thought they were going over it sideways but Richard gets it under control just in time!
- The first mud hole we hear on the radio; "The white cherokee just stuck it!" :eek: The line they thought they could take there got all gnarly with the UTVs using it and just deep or muddy enough for a 2WD to get stuck. :(
- Skillet does the winching duties and they get out.
- They get back on it hard and heavy, cuz that's how Richard rolls! If it ain't floored he ain't tryin hard enough I reckon! LOL!
- After a bit we get a radio call that they're now overheating and it won't start. They get it cooled down some and finally complete one lap and into the pits where we have a gallon of 50/50 antifreeze and distilled water ready.
- Steve, me and Richard purged and filled the radiator and filled the overflow too.....
- They are back out.
- Back into the mud hole and winch the second time (I think this is correct, Skillet or Richard?)
- A bit later another call on the radio #1111 is hot and they now can't get it started.
- A good bit of time goes by and finally the leader takes the checkered flag and Richard and Skillet's race is done and they come in 4th. :mad:
- Richard does manage to get it restarted under it's own power and drives it back to the toy hauler/camping area.

Misc:
- We had Brave's tires and such at our pit to help.
- We helped Wes out. Steve P was the man on this one.
- We also helped Todd K with radio duty, gas duty etc for him in the SuperMod class. He ended up blowing the motor and not being very competitive this race unfortunately. Regardless, once again Steve took on this challenge!
- Kudos to my boy for stopping at one of the Hess cars to insure they were OK and then again when Wes rolled and his efforts to help the roll it back over. I'm very proud of my boys first UTV race and Zac for co-dogging! I think I've lost my seat and got demoted to Pit crew! hahaha

All in all a good TCR showing and we once again helped out other teams cuz that's how we roll! :2thumbs:

TCR VIP Award:
- The team voted on it after the race and we decided Steve Powers was the recipient of the Ogio Gear Bag! Congrats my brotha! :cheers:

I'll post the Image ORP (Thanks Christy, Brittney and Jacqueline!) shots once I have them in the next day or so. Here are the few we took. Yes there is GoPro vids so we'll get those up asap too.

11000422_10206917937815776_8681304854484289772_o.jpg

11187154_10206917992897153_1905611448099930076_o.jpg

11178286_10206917996897253_6883494015746941246_n.jpg

10407337_10206918323625421_2153937513189483301_n.jpg

HUGE THANKS to all our sponsors who help make this possible! thumb.gif
- MLS Powersports
- SuperATV
- GMZ Race Products
- Daves Offroad Supply
- Evolution Powersports
- Factory UTV
- GoPro
- PolarPro
- Ogio
- LifeProof
- Ryno Power Sports Supplements
- Mid GA Offroad
- Filthy Motorsports
- 4 Wheel Parts
- Deaver
- Tom Woods
- Fire Logs.com
- Ironman4x4fab.com

Good jobs guys. I ran the super mod class with 38" tires. Kudos to everyone who ran a smaller tire. Some of those holes and washes got deep.

RustyC said:
Good jobs guys. I ran the super mod class with 38" tires. Kudos to everyone who ran a smaller tire. Some of those holes and washes got deep.

Thank you sir! You also did a fantastic job sir! I was the guy sitting in the chair at the front during the awards ceremony! Also kudos to you on the fastest lap time! As you said not bad for 6 bangers like u and Chris May where running even when put up against high HP V8 stuff! loller.gif Now to bust da chops a bit further. Last year I had the fastest lap time at Gray Rock and the first race at DTown in our 2 banger UTV! ;D LOL! But I digress! It was good seeing you out there! We need more folks racing! Will you be coming to Sturgis? :dunno:

Thats really impressive Rusty, i saw that you had the best cumulative time over all the U4 rigs too......congrats!

Bman, its kinda silly to beat your chest about best laptime when your not even running the same course :gay:

Also, not to take anything away from your win here, both of you guys displayed amazing sportsmanship and i'm glad to see your son driving so well......but do you feel good about getting a win when you dnf'd after 3 laps and the other guy ran 10 or whatever but got dq'd to 2nd for an accidental short course back to the pits that in the end had no effect on the outcome?

I will not be able to make it to Sturgis. Working my way into this racing thing. Hope everyone is successful there.
I am very happy with the results of a little basement built chassis and cast away parts. I think the narrow width helped the most getting through the trees.
Peter Basler passed me twice, I tried to keep up but...those U4 guys are fast. I felt like a coon dog chasing the scent of race gas through the woods. Kinda funny, 1.5 hrs in the trees as speed feels like days. White flags never looks so good. I had a wonderful weekend. The racing went well and I was able to see my wife and oldest son climb tub rock and a couple other for the first time.
I hope to make all the southeast races next year if plans go well. This racing thing is a lot of fun for sure.
Bman it's good to see a man with his family out there, well done with yours.
Neal thanks for the kind words.

Neal3000 said:
Thats really impressive Rusty, i saw that you had the best cumulative time over all the U4 rigs too......congrats!

Bman, its kinda silly to beat your chest about best laptime when your not even running the same course :gay:

Also, not to take anything away from your win here, both of you guys displayed amazing sportsmanship and i'm glad to see your son driving so well......but do you feel good about getting a win when you dnf'd after 3 laps and the other guy ran 10 or whatever but got dq'd to 2nd for an accidental short course back to the pits that in the end had no effect on the outcome?

Neal sorry you took it however you took it bud! You also appear to be a little misinformed. There were changes to the course this year. It was a duplicate of what UTV ran last year but simply ran in reverse. In other words Bents and Dents was not apart of any class thus the course was equal across the classes. I also wasn't taking anything away from Rusty's efforts either. I was simply implying that not only did a V6 kick the V8's butts but the 2 bangers did also. In fact not only did they this year but also last year too. AKA I was adding a little salt to the wounds of the V8 guys! So bottom line is if you look at the UTV times you'll see the Pro UTV cars flat out destroyed everyone this year and last! So kudos to them! :dblthumb:

As for the win it's all apart of endurance racing, following the rules and you know that! Yup it sucks we only completed almost 4 laps and got credit for 3 before the gremlins raised their heads again pertaining to our recent motor swap. Also our competitor did not finish 10 laps he finished 6 as per the record but technically since he short coursed one lap he truly only finished 5. So not sure where you came up with 10 unless you're implying what the SuperMod and Ultr4 cars did. Then again the UTVs only run for 1 hour and SuperMod and Ultra 4/Pro cars ran for 1 1/2 hrs. If you want to point out anything point out the fact that golf carts don't appear to be enduring the conditions as well as those full size cars do. That there would be a very true statement. Regardless of all of that, my son Ging did exactly what I asked him to do based on our variables. It was to get out there and complete at least one lap in before picking up the pace and pushing it. Him being him and similar to me he decided to be a good sport and insure the guy driving the Hess Pro UTV car was ok and then again to help out our direct competitor when he rolled. Bottom line is we knew from pre-run we were still experiencing the motor gremlins we first noticed at the Choccolocco race and thought we had fixed prior to this race. We made some mods before the race but knew it wasn't 100%. I haven't looked at it yet but the motor simply died after hitting a very hard wash out area and while shooting up a steep hill climb and then wouldn't start and there were no codes or diag data so we had no good leads to go on and me not being in the car didn't have a handle on it from the radios. :( Since the starter wasn't engaging properly we threw in the towel. So again we haven't diagnosed it but it could mean the starter got jarred loose and/or misaligned, idler starter gear stripped and possibly on top of whatever made it stall out in the first place, aka a plug, wire, motor blow???? Not sure yet.... Again it's all apart of endurance racing.

So it's easy to arm chair quarterback Neal. All I'll say is I'd rather see ya out there racing then arm chair QB'in or webwheeling! :flipoff1: I'd also like to see some more HL folks including UTVs join the series. Sturgis is our next race and it'll be a very cool short course that Bill Baird owns. It's a great venue and will draw a lot of race cars and spectators especially know that its bike week there aka "Little Sturgis Bike Week" not the one further up north. LOL!

I was talking about last year on the fastest lap time ****, i've seen you say that several times but U4 was on a different course. Also Kevin shortcoursed back to the pits a couple of years ago with a flat tire at Auburn with no penalty.........but seriously who cares, congrats amigo

I freaking hate armchair quarterbacking