• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Th350/205 question

tommy450r

what would cause my trans fluid to dump into my transfercase? I was gonna drive my new buggy build for the first time today an went to put some gear oil in the tcase an it was full of trans fluid. I didn't have time to tear it apart today but was gonna see what to look for when i do.

Is the seal around the input shaft of the tcase the only one that stops this from happening?

Yep input shaft seal is only divider well what adaptor does it have? Figure 8 could get in around the intermediate shaft maybe? Sounds like you may need to check your trans vent also! my trans and tcase in my 98 1500 share fluid it's not worth it to me to fix it! :****:

It's the fig 8 adaptor an the trans vent ant even got a line on it yet it's just open its a new build I just need to get it outside an flex it out an maybe jump a few hills before tear down an powder coat.

tommy450r said:
It's the fig 8 adaptor an the trans vent ant even got a line on it yet it's just open its a new build I just need to get it outside an flex it out an maybe jump a few hills before tear down an powder coat.
Is it a brand new trans? The tube could be stopped up still see if you can blow into it!

If I'm not mistaken there are 2 seals in the adapter between case and trans....make sure the seals are in the "correct" way meaning springs facing outwards...I installed mine with the smooth rubber part facing outwards on each side and was told that that was the wrong way.

I had the same problem you are describing.

Reason I heard was the fluid can push on the front of the seal and compress it enough to slide past it, but if it presses on the back of the seal(spring side) it expands the seal and cant get past it. Could all be hear-say for all I know though.

I had the same set up with a wod clocked adapter mines has always done when the old 205 starts rattling time to drain and fill with new gear oil :****:

DeleriousII said:
If I'm not mistaken there are 2 seals in the adapter between case and trans....make sure the seals are in the "correct" way meaning springs facing outwards...I installed mine with the smooth rubber part facing outwards on each side and was told that that was the wrong way.

I had the same problem you are describing.

Reason I heard was the fluid can push on the front of the seal and compress it enough to slide past it, but if it presses on the back of the seal(spring side) it expands the seal and cant get past it. Could all be hear-say for all I know though.

It's not just hear-say, that is the correct way to install that type of seal. You want it so that any fluid pushing against the seal will make the I.D. of the seal press tighter against the shaft rather than push it away.

Thanks for all the info im gonna check it when I tear down for powder coat. I came home today an put trans fluid in until it would pull an drove it around the yard I will fix it while I'm waiting on powder.

On a plus side everything else worked as it should an I will have it tore down in a week or so!!