• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

TH350 and compression braking

slravenel said:
did it lose braking? or never had braking?

Never had it. PTC insists it was built correctly. Long story short this was done over a year ago and we were too busy riding every weekend to pull it out, send it back, and wait around with our thumbs up our asses for however long it would have taken to get sorted. Tranny is tits otherwise, shifts great and takes a beating. Now too much time has passed to do anything about it with PTC. I was just sitting here curious this morning wondering if there could be a simple fix or if it will just have to be something that is addressed on the next rebuild (hopefully a long time from now).

Re: Re: TH350 and compression braking

redneckengineered said:
Never had it. PTC insists it was built correctly. Long story short this was done over a year ago and we were too busy riding every weekend to pull it out, send it back, and wait around with our thumbs up our asses for however long it would have taken to get sorted. Tranny is tits otherwise, shifts great and takes a beating. Now too much time has passed to do anything about it with PTC. I was just sitting here curious this morning wondering if there could be a simple fix or if it will just have to be something that is addressed on the next rebuild (hopefully a long time from now).
No real help here.

But I have an Art Carr th350 rmvb installed by my local rebuilder, per instructions in 2010. Brakes so well, that it will almost kill the motor, (ls2, 3.8 atlas). Only side affect I've noticed is sluggish reverse engagement; worse in high range than low - must pat the gas to engage quickly.

Had it freshened up before starting my new build, builder reported that reverse clutches showed some wear, and he replaced those and added another steel to tighten up reverse a bit.

Might be time for a look see.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Apples to oranges maybe, but my TF727 lost all or almost all of the compression braking after going to a RMVB. Was told that was normal.

I kinda miss it....but my brakes are decent.

redneckengineered said:

You can have my compression braking. LOL I hate it and will be having it removed soon. When down shifting from second to first, it [size=10pt]STOPS[/size] you into the steering wheel. I hate it, that is all...

ADMINISTRATOR

CHASMAN9 said:
You can have my compression braking. LOL I hate it and will be having it removed soon. When down shifting from second to first, it [size=10pt]STOPS[/size] you into the steering wheel. I hate it, that is all...

ADMINISTRATOR

I absolutely love mine in my TH400. Jess would like it to work in her TH350. It's nice to be able to throw it in 1st coming down some steep hills and not even tap the brakes. Great for trail riding. Racing maybe not so much.

Re: Re: TH350 and compression braking

CHASMAN9 said:

ADMINISTRATOR
I dislike it in high range, I wish I had gone fmvb, so that it could easier bump it in neutral without sliding through all 3 gears, even with my gates modified on the winter's shifter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

redneckengineered said:
I absolutely love mine in my TH400. Jess would like it to work in her TH350. It's nice to be able to throw it in 1st coming down some steep hills and not even tap the brakes. Great for trail riding. Racing maybe not so much.

You are right about one thing, it will stop you when you throw it in 1st coming down steep hills and not even tap the brakes, but then again, brakes are overrated and a few well placed Quercus Virginianas will slow down any buggies and are good for traction. :spin:

ADMINISTRATOR

CHASMAN9 said:
You are right about one thing, it will stop you when you throw it in 1st coming down steep hills and not even tap the brakes, but then again, brakes are overrated and a few well placed Quercus Virginianas will slow down any buggies and are good for traction. :spin:

ADMINISTRATOR

Mine isn't that bad unless I'm hauling in 3rd and throw it into 1st. But if I'm just cruising I can go to 1st and it's not too abrupt. I usually go to 2nd which offers a medium level of compression braking then to 1st. Or I just leave it in 2nd depending on how much I want. I actually have a regular VB though (not manual VB) I don't know if that makes a difference.

redneckengineered said:
Mine isn't that bad unless I'm hauling in 3rd and throw it into 1st. But if I'm just cruising I can go to 1st and it's not too abrupt. I usually go to 2nd which offers a medium level of compression braking then to 1st. Or I just leave it in 2nd depending on how much I want. I actually have a regular VB though (not manual VB) I don't know if that makes a difference.

Mine is a RMVB and I can go from 3d to 2nd no problem, but if I'm even just crawling at 5mph and try to go into 1st, it will lock the tires up completely, then start to move. I have to come to a complete stop in order to downshift from 2nd to 1st. :****: Annoying as hell, but effective.

ADMINISTRATOR

I purchased a TH400 from PTC maybe two to three years ago. At the time Ed would not build it with a compression braking vb for off road. Maybe they didn't put one in it?

redneckengineered said:
So basically what I'm hearing from you guys is that if there is no compression braking someone likely assembled this on Friday at 4:30 and grabbed the wrong VB.
When I went to the manual vb in my buggy I had an option of which gears I wanted to have brake. As far as I know you are correct but I'm not a transmission guy.

is yours a reverse manual valve body ? most that are reverse manual valve bodies dont have compression braking, i have a 350 that is reversed and does have the compression braking , for some reason( i dont know why? ) but when you reverse it its hard to put in the compression braking part

I have a RMVB (Art Carr) in my TH350 with compression braking in 1st & 2nd. If I'm rolling/idling down a hill in 3rd and downshift (1st or 2nd), I have to pat the throttle to bring the rpms up and it'll start working. If I downshift crusing between trails with rpms up in 4wd it'll just about lock the tires, in 2wd it'll skid the tires.

Sounds like you don't have it or its not working. I'll text my trans builder (KillerB468) the thread, he knows a lot about th350s & th400s.

mike2.5 said:
I purchased a TH400 from PTC maybe two to three years ago. At the time Ed would not build it with a compression braking vb for off road. Maybe they didn't put one in it?

Same here, my th400 had it with a standard valve body. Took it to PTC, had it rebuilt, a rmvb put in, and a new convertor. I noticed first ride, I didn't have the braking anymore.