• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

TH350 T/C question

ain'tstuckjustresting

RIP Mister 12/5/12
So the Th350 I bought from a guy on here is **** house. It won't shift over 1st.
I checked vacuum to the mod, changed the mod, pulled the governer and inspected the gear/spool. All are ok so I believe 2nd is smoked. I called and asked about getting it rebuilt and we talked a little about converters. I have a 4.3V6/TH350/dual toy 2.28s/5.29 diffs/ 39" tires. He is suggesting running a TH400 2000 stall. I know I don't want to low of stall as I'll drive thru the brakes but too high and it'll cook the tranny. What's a happy zone for a trailer queen trail rig? I think the stock is like 1400 stall.

So the Th350 I bought from a guy on here is **** house. It won't shift over 1st.
I checked vacuum to the mod, changed the mod, pulled the governer and inspected the gear/spool. All are ok so I believe 2nd is smoked. I called and asked about getting it rebuilt and we talked a little about converters. I have a 4.3V6/TH350/dual toy 2.28s/5.29 diffs/ 39" tires. He is suggesting running a TH400 2000 stall. I know I don't want to low of stall as I'll drive thru the brakes but too high and it'll cook the tranny. What's a happy zone for a trailer queen trail rig? I think the stock is like 1400 stall.

stock is 1800 to 2100 depending on what the TH 350 came out of.

i had a thread talking about this very same thing about two years ago try searching for it. had some good info in it.

Hmmm... when I had my TH350 gone thru in my 75 chev...I was told stock stall was somewhere close to 1200rpm...I remember asking about installing a higher stall converter (keep in mind this was nearly 20 yrs ago!) in my truck--and was advised against it...said that you want the TC to quit slipping in the lower RPM's so the fluid doesn't burn up prematurely... Well, I went with their advise, and last I heard that same tranny is still going strong!!! (haven't owned the truck for 9 yrs now, but I sold the truck after 8 yrs of that rebuilt trans being in there.....Just my .o2 :awesomework:

Thanks Hip, I did find that thread last night after some searching. I'm leaning toward a stocker around 1400-1600RPMS. I'll beat up Will for more info when I drop it off.