• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Th400 or th350

Jeffy

I'm looking to swap in an auto tranny into my buggy that currently has a nv4500 to a ford 205 case with the 32 spline input which will accept a th400 with a adapter. I'm also only running a 5.3 so not a lot of horsepower. I see alot of guys running th350s and I guess my question is other than the th400 robbing 20-25 HP is there any advantages of going with a th350. Cost wise it seems a 400 would be the easiest route for me to go. Open to suggestions !

If you're making changes to put it in anyway, put in the TH350 or a 4L80/85/90. Don't have to get a built trans and then still have to worry about it.

if I didn't have to make significant adjustments to my cradle for the oh so slight length change I'd have put a 400 or a 4 speed in after the second TH350 failure, and I think I'm on my way to a third in 3 years. It's crawling with a 2:1 case that is the murderer.

I have a th400 2wd model that has the 4.5 inch shaft that will work for my 205. Was going to do a rmvb and was debating on a rebuild , but it did come out of a working truck. After adding all the upgrades 32 element sprag rebuild etc etc it would almost be close to buying a new PTC tranny. I would have to swap in a 27 spline into the 205 if I went to a th350. The 2.1 is terrible, hopefully one day it will see a Lomax or an atlas.

They put th400 in military junk, motor homes, an ton trucks for a reason...... That was my reasoning for not going TH350 am goin 400 instead. That an another buggy friend on rockwells has built his th350 like 6 times :(
I'm not sayin the 350 is junk but in my opinion it would be a waste to not go 400 if it's an option.....

I'm sure u don't plan on leaving that 5.3 stock forever ...

I was going to go with a th400 for the buggy, but already had the th350 from a previous build. that being said, I've had zero failures with the th350 since I've had it and that's behind 500+hp. I trust the trans builder knew what he was doing when it in the buggy (it was refreshed 2 years ago when the buggy wa built).

I know it's not the strongest trans out there, but it's doing well for me

I'm leaning toward the 400... Hell I already have it so might as well! either way I'll still be :driving:

Jeffy said:
I'm leaning toward the 400... Hell I already have it so might as well! either way I'll still be :driving:

This coming from a TF727 guy(I chose to rebuild this trans instead of go 400 due to what I researched).....but I think the 350 vs 400 debate is kinda like the old school...."might as well put tons under it" debate. Do it once and be done.

If I had a 350 blow up on me....I'd put a 400 in it. I like "following the herd" on stuff like that.

1tfrot said:
I was going to go with a th400 for the buggy, but already had the th350 from a previous build. that being said, I've had zero failures with the th350 since I've had it and that's behind 500+hp. I trust the trans builder knew what he was doing when it in the buggy (it was refreshed 2 years ago when the buggy wa built).

I know it's not the strongest trans out there, but it's doing well for me

Same here, I'm not running that much hp yet but I will be, I will say mine was build, came out of a comp buggy and I bought the best cooler with a fan I could find. No issues.

I went th400 because it's the better choice. No kickdown cable to deal with. It's way stronger in stock form than the th350 and it'll take more heat. In my opinion it the equivalent comparison to the Dana 44 and the Dana 60. Most install a manual valve body so the not staying in 1rst gear is kind of a mute point.

You can fix the stock valve body so it will stay in first. So you don't have to buy a new VB if that's the complaint.....

pholmann said:
I went th400 because it's the better choice. No kickdown cable to deal with. It's way stronger in stock form than the th350 and it'll take more heat. In my opinion it the equivalent comparison to the Dana 44 and the Dana 60. Most install a mechanical valve body so the not staying in 1rst gear is kind of a mute point.

School me here just so I know, I'm running a manual valve body, I'm assuming it's the same as a mechanical valve body???????

pholmann said:
I did the manual vb with engine breaking. It's ****in awesome. I highly recommend the engine braking option.

OK, I have that too, love it, I guess I've never ran a bone stock th350,since I came from the standard shift world.

Edit,, beside in a street truck,car

Well I'm going to order a th350 from PTC , well see how well it holds up, seems like a lot of guys are running them with some good luck. Really didn't want to redo drive shafts by going to a 400 and if the 350 fails I have a 400 sitting in the garage and shouldnt be to much to make it work since I have the 32 spline input for it already in my 205 now. Thanks for the input!