• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

TH400 question

JPTHING

Hey I have a waggy, and I want to replace the TF727. I want to replace it with a TH400, but I want a decent t-case, so does anyone know if the Jeep Th400 ever came attached to a Np205, and if not, does anyone know what year it came attached to a Dana 20?

Early to mid 70s. Be aware that the front driveshaft to tranny pan have clearance issues and run a very thin diameter front driveshaft.

Why the TH400? It sucks fuel and isn't much stronger than the 727. In fact, I'm replacing my high miler TH400 in my '73 J4000 (It's the Buick version with AMC adapter ring used between '65 and '73) along with the tired QT with part time and O/D kit with a lockup AMC 727 and RH drop fixed yoke Dodge 23 spline NP208D (I still have the fixed yoke 23 spline NP208J which was LH drop)
I was going to rebuild a TH400 to put in there with a Dana 20 (used '65 to '72 with TH400 and std trans) but the factory setup is a weak POS.

I just thought it would be better than this tired TF727 which I filled with water during the floods. The crazy part is that I changed the fluid twice, and it drives fine, even after I had driven it 2 days with water in it. The fluid looked like strawberry milk. The main reason I want to change is because I don't want the QT, I think I will maybe go with a NP231 with an SYE. I really want a cast iron, gear driven, fixed yoke T-case.

you can keep the TF alive a LONG time by keeping clean fluid in it. Change the fluid and filter every 15k miles, minimum, especially if you have one of the overdrive variants.

Get rid of that pos quadratrac transfer case.

junkyard jim said:
Why the TH400? It sucks fuel and isn't much stronger than the 727. In fact, I'm replacing my high miler TH400 in my '73 J4000 (It's the Buick version with AMC adapter ring used between '65 and '73) along with the tired QT with part time and O/D kit with a lockup AMC 727 and RH drop fixed yoke Dodge 23 spline NP208D (I still have the fixed yoke 23 spline NP208J which was LH drop)
I was going to rebuild a TH400 to put in there with a Dana 20 (used '65 to '72 with TH400 and std trans) but the factory setup is a weak POS.

gotta love misinformation, or misinformed people, Im not sure which...but is there anyway you can keep from flooding people with bad info?

The th400 doesnt waste fuel. keep it. **** can the quadratrac. thats what is using your fuel. The trans is doing what its told. it changes gears.

a trans has a 1:1 gear ratio in drive... at least the 727/th400/th350/c6/c4 all have a 1:1 gear ratio in drive. If you think your TRANS is costing you fuel mileage, ive got some news for you.... it aint.

sure, a trans uses a percentage of power to run the internals to drive the vehicle. If it didnt, we wouldnt need a trans, would we? But that much % isnt enough to notice from one trans to another unless youre racing in prostock NHRA drag racing.

mudracer said:
gotta love misinformation, or misinformed people, Im not sure which...but is there anyway you can keep from flooding people with bad info?

The th400 doesnt waste fuel. keep it. **** can the quadratrac. thats what is using your fuel. The trans is doing what its told. it changes gears.

a trans has a 1:1 gear ratio in drive... at least the 727/th400/th350/c6/c4 all have a 1:1 gear ratio in drive. If you think your TRANS is costing you fuel mileage, ive got some news for you.... it aint.

sure, a trans uses a percentage of power to run the internals to drive the vehicle. If it didnt, we wouldnt need a trans, would we? But that much % isnt enough to notice from one trans to another unless youre racing in prostock NHRA drag racing.

Boy do you have a lot to learn! My QT has the least resistance in the system (it's chain driven ovedrive saves the gas and is the main reason I can cruise at 60-70 mph and still get 15 mpg) The TH400 has a high stall converter and a huge rotating mass to overcome at each takeoff (granted the extra inertia helps keep speed up) and internal friction loss is one of the highest of any automatic made. (so says the SAE) Then there is torque converter slippage (lockup 727 doesn't have that issue unless it's going bad)
On the 727, replacing the QT is easy because it didn't come with one! (It came with NP219 in '80/81 which was passed off as a QT, but it wasn't. BW units only came with TH400 in front) The NP208J I have is the same tcase as the NP231 except that it's the big brother (built for AMC 360s and 401s as well as Chev small blocks, big blocks, diesels and various Dodges/ Fords) and it's already non-slipyoke, 23 spline (mine came off an '80 Cherokee 727 so it's a bolt on) The rear axle is always engaged, even if the chain gets stretched to the point it's slipping on the front axle.
A better setup would be to convert to a 700 R4 so at least it has O/D and far less energy hogging.

junkyard jim said:
Boy do you have a lot to learn! My QT has the least resistance in the system (it's chain driven ovedrive saves the gas and is the main reason I can cruise at 60-70 mph and still get 15 mpg) The TH400 has a high stall converter and a huge rotating mass to overcome at each takeoff (granted the extra inertia helps keep speed up) and internal friction loss is one of the highest of any automatic made. (so says the SAE) Then there is torque converter slippage (lockup 727 doesn't have that issue unless it's going bad)
On the 727, replacing the QT is easy because it didn't come with one! (It came with NP219 in '80/81 which was passed off as a QT, but it wasn't. BW units only came with TH400 in front) The NP208J I have is the same tcase as the NP231 except that it's the big brother (built for AMC 360s and 401s as well as Chev small blocks, big blocks, diesels and various Dodges/ Fords) and it's already non-slipyoke, 23 spline (mine came off an '80 Cherokee 727 so it's a bolt on) The rear axle is always engaged, even if the chain gets stretched to the point it's slipping on the front axle.
A better setup would be to convert to a 700 R4 so at least it has O/D and far less energy hogging.

1. A transmission reaches lockup when the convertor locks up. If you are running a huge stall, maybe you should change convertors for more efficiency.

2. I dont deny that the TH400 has an inefficient rating. In Pro Stock, if you were using a th400, you would want to change due to the inefficiency. In a stock vehicle, you cant detect it.

3. if you think for a minute that your quadratrac transfer case doesnt waste inertia by spinning ALL of the axleshafts ALL the time, youre sadly mistaken... thats called parasitic drag. Do you remember the ageold NP203 transfer case? Full time, its a pos. you get about 8mpg with it. install an NP205, and your mileage doubles. why? parasitic drag. hmmm wonder why they call it a FULL TIME case.... kinda like the quadratrac, eh?

I do have a lot to learn. I am not, however, stupid.

The NP208 is a completely different animal than the quadratrac. its a part time case. please dont compare apples and oranges.

whatever you do, DO NOT switch to a 700r4. (That is, unless you know a tranny guy that LIKES you, and you enjoy tranny swaps) If you were to do some shopping around you would find QUICKLY that a rebuilt th400 with ALL the bells and whistles runs around 12-1600 bucks. a 700r4 starts at 1600, and goes UP from there. and its not even dependable. Sure it has less parasitic drag. why? the parts are lighter, less dependable, weaker, and inferior in almost every way.

its your money. you can spend it where you want.

oh, by the way, my tow vehicle has a 500 caddy, and a th400.
my race truck has a big block chevy, and a th400...
my buddies run them, abuse them, and they keep ticking.

If you didnt know already, im a chevy guy.

(edit!: Im so so sorry, jim... I forgot to ask you.... when did they start putting overdrive in a transfer case? I know of the Warn Saturn Overdrive.... but no modern case has an overdrive in it. Unless of course, you would like to educate me on that, too.)

Last edited:
mudracer said:
1. A transmission reaches lockup when the convertor locks up. If you are running a huge stall, maybe you should change convertors for more efficiency.

2. I dont deny that the TH400 has an inefficient rating. In Pro Stock, if you were using a th400, you would want to change due to the inefficiency. In a stock vehicle, you cant detect it.

3. if you think for a minute that your quadratrac transfer case doesnt waste inertia by spinning ALL of the axleshafts ALL the time, youre sadly mistaken... thats called parasitic drag. Do you remember the ageold NP203 transfer case? Full time, its a pos. you get about 8mpg with it. install an NP205, and your mileage doubles. why? parasitic drag. hmmm wonder why they call it a FULL TIME case.... kinda like the quadratrac, eh?

I do have a lot to learn. I am not, however, stupid.

The NP208 is a completely different animal than the quadratrac. its a part time case. please dont compare apples and oranges.

whatever you do, DO NOT switch to a 700r4. (That is, unless you know a tranny guy that LIKES you, and you enjoy tranny swaps) If you were to do some shopping around you would find QUICKLY that a rebuilt th400 with ALL the bells and whistles runs around 12-1600 bucks. a 700r4 starts at 1600, and goes UP from there. and its not even dependable. Sure it has less parasitic drag. why? the parts are lighter, less dependable, weaker, and inferior in almost every way.

its your money. you can spend it where you want.

oh, by the way, my tow vehicle has a 500 caddy, and a th400.
my race truck has a big block chevy, and a th400...
my buddies run them, abuse them, and they keep ticking.

If you didnt know already, im a chevy guy.

(edit!: Im so so sorry, jim... I forgot to ask you.... when did they start putting overdrive in a transfer case? I know of the Warn Saturn Overdrive.... but no modern case has an overdrive in it. Unless of course, you would like to educate me on that, too.)

1: The converter engages at the stall point but the 17% or so slippage doesn't go away magically. Why do you think they have lockup converters now?
The Jeep TH400 has a high stall from the factory. If I was going to $pend the $$ on replacing it (About $200 for a good one or $79 for the cheapie reman) then I miteaswell rebuild the trans (it doesn't engage first gear unless I manually engage it, which means the sprague is shot and no matter how I adjust the modulator, it up shifts to drive too soon unless manually shifted. That and it has a shady history of service life) I'd also have to $pend for adapters and output shafts (I had the correct adapter that I sold on EBay for $200 but I didn't have the right output shaft to make it happen)
Simply put, my beat-to-**** '73 J4000 doesn't have enough value to put thou$and$ into fixing up (I have an '84 J10 for that and I have spent too close to $10K on that in parts, storage, time and machine work and it's STILL not all in the same location! I even bought a cabin near Reiter and built a garage to work on it in but haven't had time to getaroundtuit in the past year!)

2: In a stock vehicle that is driven in town all the time, no you won't notice much, but take it out on the freeway and listen to how much the engine whines w/o an O/D with good pulling gears. The 727 has slightly better gearing for takeoff (TH400 makes up for it with the stall slippage) and I can get even better ones for @$100 for the 727 (same as 999)

3: A converted quadratrac DOESN'T turn everything all the time. In fact, except for the case, it's hardly a QT anymore. It essentially becomes a NP208 with parts out of place. The power goes in through the input shaft (and to the low range or high range driver depending on the position of the seperate shifter. Mine is even dash mounted with a PTO cable!) to the drive chain.
Drive chain runs to the output shaft (rear is always engaged because this is a part time converted rig) which has a sliding fork to engage/ disengage the front axle drive (I also have locking hubs so my front driveshaft and axles don't turn unless either the tcase is engaged or both hubs are engaged) In my case, with the Milemarker O/D kit (It's also a Milemarker PT kit) one of the gears that runs the chain (output shaft) is smaller than OEM, resulting in a 17% O/D. The thing I don't like is ALL the power has to pass through the chain before it gets to the wheels. The chain and overhaul kit is @$200 (I'm also tired of putting oil in it for each long trip just to keep the chain noise down)

While I am not a Chevy hater, I have killed MANY SBCs (17 in one season by different builders from 265 up to 383 stroker and 400), one BBC (396 in a '66 Grande Parisienne) and SBFs (only 6 so far), BBFs (360, 390, 460 and the one that got away was a 428 sideoiler) and the occaisional Mopar (273, 318, 360, 340 with a rod out the side, 361, 383, 440, 413) and so far 1 AMC 304 V8 (that was knocking when I got it. I still drove it 3 months after the rod knocked a hole in the side)
I was just as hard on Japanese cars (no time to list all I killed, fixed and killed again) but it seems inline 6 cyls and I get along. I haven't killed the 304 in this beast yet (it came out of a '77 AMX I bought for $200)

The reason I have for swapping to a 727 is this: I have a good one I got cheap that I went through and it's fine. I know the tricks to beefing them up w/o having to rebuild them totally. Same goes with the NP208 tcase. I have had good luck with them. I found mine to be great for trailering when you can shift to low range for takeoff on a hill, get up to 10-15 mph and pop the trans to neutral, upshift the tcase and drop the trans back to first and go.
Until @'99 I used to go to swap meets with a trailer made out of an IH bus (weighed almost 5 tons empty) behind my '83 Cherokee with Mexican 4.5L, (which is almost identical to the stroker 6 I'm building except I'll be getting twice the torque with LPG and better head/intake/exhaust/cam) lockup 999 auto, NP208 and 2.72 gearing with LT235/75R/15. Anyone who went to my old place in Skyway can tell you what the hills are like getting to it. It's even more fun in rush hour traffic and having to take off from a standstill multiple times before reaching the stop sign at the top!

I have friends in the trans biz that can build me a 700R4 for @$800 (on the bench) that has the upgrades needed for towing etc. I'd sooner go to a 4L80E but the external stand alone trans controllers don't work worth a damn. On the bright side, I would use one to run on an AMC motor with GM TBI setup pretty easy.

PS: BBCs can be finicky too! I used my '87 MJ with 230,000 mile 4.0L (with pukeout 5 speed, 3.73 gears and 33" tires with no low range) to pull a full size Chev with big block (it died in the middle of a traffic light) along with the car trailer and full sized Blazer on the back up a slight grade and almost 3 blocks into the NAPA parking lot in Totem Lake (have pics and witnesses to back it up) so I do know where the torque lays! (and I didn't even fry out my 80,000 mile clutch!)

Just for good measure: I was a trans tech for 5 years (mostly Mopar cop cars and taxis till they faded away) so I do know a little about what I'm talking about. (I'd still be a mechanic too if it wasn't for the %$#^@&*( green Honda that fell on my head during the Duvall quake of '95!)

Last edited:
I wish i had as much time as you.

too often people get lost thinking everybody who posts on this forum is building some hardcore rock crawler or they have a better way of getting it done. You end up with what we have here. two guys arguing over tranny beef instead of helping out the guy who posted in the first place.

lol pullout.

Mostly, I dont try to argue.

on the other hand, I cant see someone giving bad info being a good thing.

Can you (in good conscience) let someone throw good money after bad to build something so they can fix it?

To me, its like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer, because it feels so damned good when you stop.

What do I know... I dont have all the qualifications on my resume. I only work here part time.

You do make a good point, though.

pullUout said:
I wish i had as much time as you.

too often people get lost thinking everybody who posts on this forum is building some hardcore rock crawler or they have a better way of getting it done. You end up with what we have here. two guys arguing over tranny beef instead of helping out the guy who posted in the first place.
Hey now, I started out to help. I was just trying to find out why he wants to swap out what he already has, and $pend money for something of equal strength. I suggested he dump the NP219 (if that's the Quadtrac he has, since 727 never ran the BW variant) for a NP208J (and not just because I have one for sale) because A: It came stock on the 727, B: less down time (one afternoon plus the cost of a longer rear driveshaft I may already have. Front one is the same length as he already has), C: Less cost (There is a low mileage one in the Buy and Sell for $150 I nearly bought back when I needed a tcase for my AMC Eagle wagon) D: FACTORY non-slipyoke, E: Strength (far better than any other NP case behind a 727. Probably as strong as the NV241 too and definitely better than the BW QT for longevity while towing)
I have done the TH400/727 trans swaps both ways and know the ins and outs (best to have a complete parts rig to pilfer what you need from because even the shift linkage is different) and I'm more than willing to share for FREE (no-one pays me to do this) my knowledge on this.

PS: While strong, the NP205 is a lead weight and only the Chev TH400s came with them. They hang too low for a FSJ unless it's already SOA lifted and unnecessary for all but the most brutal builds. I have a NV241 OR with 4:1 low range for mine that will bolt to either a 727 or AW4 (my trans of choice for efficiency in my '84)

Mudracer said:
lol pullout.

Mostly, I dont try to argue.

on the other hand, I cant see someone giving bad info being a good thing.

Can you (in good conscience) let someone throw good money after bad to build something so they can fix it?

To me, its like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer, because it feels so damned good when you stop.

What do I know... I dont have all the qualifications on my resume. I only work here part time.

You do make a good point, though.

How much will he spend on a TH400 plus adapters, plus driveshafts (not to mention you have to change the gas tank to a'79 or earlier one to run a TH400 in an FSJ) as opposed to keeping the 727 and running a NP208 with another rear driveshaft? (he'll be into it what, about $150)

Now the 700R4 isn't my first choice either, but they can be made much stronger (plus an FSJ is lighter than a Chev sled) and he can run a stock Chev tcase (post '88) with the axles he already has.

In fact, he'd be better with an adapter and D20 (with low range mods) on the 727 than trying the OEM TH400/D20 setup (that gets easily broken in stock configuration)
I can post the long list of parts he'd need for the swap, but why do you think the 727 is no good? I always add a can of STP engine oil treatment to mine to help them stay engaged and I only killed 1 in 30 years (more like finished it off as the PO ran it low for waaay too long)

I say go to the Gimpy (whatever) lube and have a REAL flush done on the trans fluid.

Last edited:
junkyard jim said:
I have done the TH400/727 trans swaps both ways and know the ins and outs (best to have a complete parts rig to pilfer what you need from because even the shift linkage is different) and I'm more than willing to share for FREE (no-one pays me to do this) my knowledge on this.

PS: While strong, the NP205 is a lead weight and only the Chev TH400s came with them. They hang too low for a FSJ unless it's already SOA lifted and unnecessary for all but the most brutal builds. I have a NV241 OR with 4:1 low range for mine that will bolt to either a 727 or AW4 (my trans of choice for efficiency in my '84)

LMFAO! one last jab...
you know the ins and outs of both 400 and 727 swaps... yet you go on to say that an np205 is lead weight... and futher the comment by saying that only chevy th400s came with em....

Surely you can name one transfer case stronger than the NP205 with a gear to gear driven system? oh, and name a gear to gear case thats lighter, while youre at it.

hullo? (taps on glass in front of Junkyard_Jim) HUlLLO! Dodge made a 727 with an NP205 as well, and it was married up. But, lets not forget that EVERY ONE of the big 3 used the NP205. GM used them in front of a 3 speed manual, a 4 speed manual, the th400 and the th350.

Please, Jim. If you insist on passing out information, get it right. Thats all I ask.

ok, Ill correct myself.
gear driven transfer cases.... weight wise...
NP205 is heavier than a dana 20, and a dana 18. and also a dana 21. and a dana 300.

however, NONE of these transfer cases offer the strength of the np205.

junkyard jim said:
Hey now, I started out to help. I was just trying to find out why he wants to swap out what he already has, and $pend money for something of equal strength. I suggested he dump the NP219 (if that's the Quadtrac he has, since 727 never ran the BW variant) for a NP208J (and not just because I have one for sale) because A: It came stock on the 727, B: less down time (one afternoon plus the cost of a longer rear driveshaft I may already have. Front one is the same length as he already has), C: Less cost (There is a low mileage one in the Buy and Sell for $150 I nearly bought back when I needed a tcase for my AMC Eagle wagon) D: FACTORY non-slipyoke, E: Strength (far better than any other NP case behind a 727. Probably as strong as the NV241 too and definitely better than the BW QT for longevity while towing)

How much will he spend on a TH400 plus adapters, plus driveshafts (not to mention you have to change the gas tank to a'79 or earlier one to run a TH400 in an FSJ) as opposed to keeping the 727 and running a NP208 with another rear driveshaft? (he'll be into it what, about $150)

Now the 700R4 isn't my first choice either, but they can be made much stronger (plus an FSJ is lighter than a Chev sled) and he can run a stock Chev tcase (post '88) with the axles he already has.

In fact, he'd be better with an adapter and D20 (with low range mods) on the 727 than trying the OEM TH400/D20 setup (that gets easily broken in stock configuration)
I can post the long list of parts he'd need for the swap, but why do you think the 727 is no good? I always add a can of STP engine oil treatment to mine to help them stay engaged and I only killed 1 in 30 years (more like finished it off as the PO ran it low for waaay too long)

I say go to the Gimpy (whatever) lube and have a REAL flush done on the trans fluid.

yeah, but Im not telling him what to buy. Im just telling him my opinion about what is available and what he asked about..

I never said the 727 was no good. where do you get that? please, post it. again, please only give out GOOD Information. BAD information is not helpful to anyone.

oh, ok, i did a little research, and I must apologize.

the quadratrac was available with a kit to convert it to 2wd with a .16 overdrive.

now the question remains.... why?

oh well.

mudracer said:
LMFAO! one last jab...
you know the ins and outs of both 400 and 727 swaps... yet you go on to say that an np205 is lead weight... and futher the comment by saying that only chevy th400s came with em....

Surely you can name one transfer case stronger than the NP205 with a gear to gear driven system? oh, and name a gear to gear case thats lighter, while youre at it.

hullo? (taps on glass in front of Junkyard_Jim) HUlLLO! Dodge made a 727 with an NP205 as well, and it was married up. But, lets not forget that EVERY ONE of the big 3 used the NP205. GM used them in front of a 3 speed manual, a 4 speed manual, the th400 and the th350.

Please, Jim. If you insist on passing out information, get it right. Thats all I ask.

A: I meant that JEEP TH400s and 727s never came with a NP205 (just to clear that up. No misinformation intended)

mudracer said:
yeah, but Im not telling him what to buy. Im just telling him my opinion about what is available and what he asked about..

I never said the 727 was no good. where do you get that? please, post it. again, please only give out GOOD Information. BAD information is not helpful to anyone.

I'm not telling him what to buy either, just what I have seen works well and is the best bang for the buck since he already has a 727. The way your reply is worded about the TH400 (quote: keep it and shitcan the QT) and QT (plus your lack of knowledge how they work, which makes them voodoo to get rid of in many people's book) lead me to believe you didn't know what you were talking about either. (like those people who still insist Chev or Ford made ALL AMC's motors or that it's a piece of cake to drop a Chev motor in place of an AMC and somehow miraculously get more power from a lower torque small block and somehow increase the value of an FSJ till they try to sell it)

I reread what you wrote about flushing his 727 and it still going strong, but the next reply (aimed at me) could easily confuse him into thinking he should get a TH400. I'm still waiting to see if he has a NP219, NP229, NP228 or something else shoehorned in there (if it doesn't already have a NP208) and wonder why he wants to change it out if it still works.

mudracer said:
ok, Ill correct myself.
gear driven transfer cases.... weight wise...
NP205 is heavier than a dana 20, and a dana 18. and also a dana 21. and a dana 300.

however, NONE of these transfer cases offer the strength of the np205.

And for what purpose does he need to run such a heavy tcase? The few people I know that put an NP205 into an FSJ weren't happy with it due to having to chop the floor to clear it or adding 3" body blocks and a custom trans crossbar to keep it up there.

PS: I also wrote for FSJ magazine.

You guys are going back and forth and it's too much reading so I'll leave ya alone.:mad: