• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

TH400 Temp gauge

There is a test port on the the driver side of the tranny, use it. 1/8 NPT which is perfect for electrical gauge. It will not read in Park when you use the test port, but that is really the only downside..

i thought about putting one in my buggy but my tranny builder said that it might scary me on how hot it will get

hinton said:
i thought about putting one in my buggy but my tranny builder said that it might scary me on how hot it will get

that is what i was sayin. the guy that built mine said put a good cooler on it and forget it cause there was not much i could do but worry about the temp. i saw a guy one time that had a piece of duck tape over his gauge that he put there after one ride because it scared him how hot it really got. i know alot of people that have them though and can understand why Cole wants one.

i have a good cooler on mine but i know it still gets hot but are you going to stop everytime your gauge reads over say 180 to 190, that is why you dont see a tack in my rig i dont want to know the rpm that close cause im not going to life either way

i know where he is coming from and i would use the test port matt was talking about and use an elect gauge

hinton said:
i have a good cooler on mine but i know it still gets hot but are you going to stop everytime your gauge reads over say 180 to 190, that is why you dont see a tack in my rig i dont want to know the rpm that close cause im not going to life either way

No I want stop unless it gets to 225-250. If it's getting that hot then I will buy a better cooler.
Like Daniel said it's a pain in the ass to swap transmissions in my buggy.

I used to think a temp guage was a bad idea, but I'm a believer in one know. Atleast it will tell you if your getting too hot and some times it could be that the fan is not kicking on. It's alot easier replacing a fan fuse or relay than a trans anyday.
I'll be running two coolers or one big cooler on my new build, with a filter and check valve. Theres alot of good info on trans coolers on the desert sites, those guys have to keep em cool.
Plus if your trans is getting hot somethings not working right.

my temp gage is in the the inlet side to my cooler and it still reads 180 or so crusing around in low range.. my cooler is behing my passenger seat with a fa on it and it will still burn the piss out of you f you touch a line or anything

I know you don't want to tap the pan, but I just got a autometer weld in bung and sender and went that route.

i put a "T" block on the line out from the pump to the cooler., this lets you know what your pump is pushing out.
autometer makes one or just get the stuff from lowes and do your own... i think the block has to be grounded if you are using rubber hose to the cooler

automnneter makes a manifold mts to the firewall goes inline from cooler put a atomic cooler from dureal and buy a baddddddd ptc th400 ive tried all other trans builders with bad results talk to kenny at ptc race.com he knows what we do and he backs it up. we have worked with him and ed and thy can build a trans that will take the punishment !!!!!

COLEWORX said:
automnneter makes a manifold mts to the firewall goes inline from cooler put a atomic cooler from dureal and buy a baddddddd ptc th400 ive tried all other trans builders with bad results talk to kenny at ptc race.com he knows what we do and he backs it up. we have worked with him and ed and thy can build a trans that will take the punishment !!!!!

Bryan my new transmission is from PTC and also got a new Converter from them. Took it up there and they built it while I waited. Great people to deal with.

From our experiences racing PTC can't be beat. We've tried TCI and the converters just wouldn't hold up. One lasted 7 laps, which is about 7 min.
Been running a PTC all season with no trouble at all. I'd recommend them to anyone. :dblthumb: