• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Thanks for KOH 2011 from Gipson-Dixon Racing

Dovetail96

These are some things I am thankful for from KOH 2011.. Another start and DNF.. Broke a new ring gear 30 miles in to the race.. Happy to have been invited to race and started the race.. Looking forward to doing some local " recration" wheeling with my friends this spring/summer..

My friend Steve working everyday from 5=2 at work then 3-7 on the buggy to get it ready for our team to race,

My friend Brad Riley TrailToy1993: loaning me his 07 dodge to transport to KOH 2011 when my parts did not show up for mine and believing in me.

My team coming together and getting us ready for tech and the starting line..

feeling of making it through Tech inspection at the last possible moment..

Staying up all night with a man I barely knew mounting a new Fiberglass body that I promised would be on with a vinyl wrap that Designs By Keith made.

Watching the sun come up on the lake bed in line to start my 4th King of the Hammers.

Racing with a seasoned off road racer I respect and admire.. Bart Dixon

Helping Dave run through the left line on Outer Limits

Cheering on Shannon Campbell with Cottin and Randy Rodd in Outer Limits.

Spotting Randy Rodd " Jimmy's 4x4 " through Outer Limits with a sick car

Watching Harvey my Bulldog enjoy KOH

Being flattered by fans/other racers that follow my racing.

Feeling the support from my team getting my car fixed up to drive it out of Outer Limits..

Mainly the feeling you get when people believe in you and what you are trying to accomplish.. Win or loose.. They are there.. They are your team.. Your friends. Your family.. Pride, respect, honor. Some things you cannot place a dollar figure on..

Thanks to my friend Rebecca for always being there and being one of my biggest fans.. Without your support we would not have made it to KOH.. So glad you were there to help..

Thanks to everyone involved..My family, Dad, Mom, Grandma, Aunt

Team/friends Steve/Willie, Brad, Rebecca, Bart Dixon, Adam, Dave/Dan, Darren, Tyson, Gene, Brian, Brad Jasper, Keith Hook, Joel, Joe Bunker, JD from FOA, Torchmate, Tom " Bart's friend, All the people that helped I did not even know. I seriously would not have made the starting line without a effort from all of you.. I know I missed some people.. It is 2:am now and my brain is gone 3000 miles later

New sponsors for 2011 BDS suspension, Fiberwerx Fiberglass, Rolling Big Power.. Any 7 Offroad, Jason at Tri County Gear..

Thanks to Masterpull for all your help, Pitbull Tires, Spidertrax, Huge thanks to Yukon Gear.. FOA Suspension, Vision X, Xtreme Motorworks, PSC Steering, All my sponsors that have been there.

I had fun cutting up your new taco body and making it fit backwards! :redneck:

Looked like casper the ghost when I got to bed. Truck looked great and worked well too.

Good team effort Larry. Happy to help. There were allot of players in that tent making stuff happen.

Hate to break it to ya tho, Harvey is the best looking one on the team. :beer:

Thanks Brad.. It was a site when you and Dan were covered in Fiberglass dust.. Harvey is a gangster thats for sure.. Lets chat some more about that body..:awesomework:

why all the last minute thrashing to get ready for the race. seems like alot of money and peoples time invested to go test a new rig. im sure sponsors and such would like to see their products finish the race for once. break in of your car wouldve found many of the problems youve delt with that caused all of your dnf's. just wondering

Right on Larry...... Sure hope your 5th year brings you better luck!!:awesomework:

Just do yourself 1 huge favor!!

DITCH THOSE FRIGGEN AXLES!! 2 yrs in a row you've been stued n screwed due to your front n rear ends...

Time to figure out a new set up....

why all the last minute thrashing to get ready for the race. seems like alot of money and peoples time invested to go test a new rig. im sure sponsors and such would like to see their products finish the race for once. break in of your car wouldve found many of the problems youve delt with that caused all of your dnf's. just wondering

I have always thought the same thing. And i was last minute thrashing. Larrys last minute thrash was fitting new body panels, The rest of the car was fully prepped. To defend Larry(imagine that eh??) The only thing that has fawked him more than once and prevented a finish are his center chunks. They both run on the coast side. I bet if he flips em, puts burly skids on em then he would have a way better car.

I have always thought the same thing. And i was last minute thrashing. Larrys last minute thrash was fitting new body panels, The rest of the car was fully prepped. To defend Larry(imagine that eh??) The only thing that has fawked him more than once and prevented a finish are his center chunks. They both run on the coast side. I bet if he flips em, puts burly skids on em then he would have a way better car.

and in your defense this was not a car u raced in last year you have been building and funding just trying to get there

You don't just "ditch" axles.. When you run a rear engine buggy it is not the easiest thing to find something that works..

Coast side of the gear? Is there any other way to run them in my application? They were brand new..

My studs last year were from the wheel not being tight.. Not the fault of the axle.. Whatever axles go in my car its not exactly just unbolt and bolt in.. It would be down for a while.. That requires time and money I do not have.. I will take the spool out of the rear and replace it with a locker which will allow some give in the ring gear.. I did not break them like this before I had a spool..

Yea my car was prepped.. I was trying to get the body on the night before the race.. I got the body two days before the race because I could not afford to ship it..

I did everything I could to race and finish KOH this year. My team did everything they could to help me.. It is what it is.. Not worried about it.. My sponsors are all happy I made it through the struggle I was going through with my tow rig and made it down there...

So I am taking suggestions on axles is you guys know how to propel a rear engine buggy the right way...

You could try giving Currie a call and asking them for one of their special upside down thrids with special oiling that they offer Shannon, keep a spare third that's already set up with you. Then quadruple check your lugnuts, and mark them with a paint pen, and check them.:beer:

Keep the spool, don't run an ARB, i'm sure you know why.

Are your housings straight? how come you have to grind down the outside of the yokes on the front shafts to make them fit?:confused:

OR

put the engine in the front, and put the axles back to normal.

Besides that, the new body looks sick, get it dialed, and good luck next year, i'm rooting for you :beer:

put the engine in the front, and put the axles back to normal.

I mentioned that as a idea after the race. Alot of work that he probably cant afford. As i was dozing off last night i thought why not replace the rear axle with a d70/14B flipped?

My hypothesis

There are 4 different configurations of a high pinion, low pinion, standard gears, reverse cut gears.
Those are:
Low pinion carrier, standard cut gears
Low pinion carrier, reverse cut gears
High pinion carrier, standard cut gears
High pinion carrier, reverse cut gears

A normal person would run a low pinion carrier with standard gears and a high pinion carrier with reverse cut gears

If you run a low pinion carrer with reverse cut gears, the axle will go backwards (when it would normally go forwards)
The same came be said about a high pinion carrier with standard cut gears.

The difference between those two (low/reverse & high/standard) is that one will be running on the coast side of the gears, and the other on the drive side of the gears.

Figure out what you've got now, and switch the carrier assembly to the other style.

As always, I seldom think thru my hypothesis, and it's probably laden with faults. Take this for what it's worth, about 2 cents. Talk to a differential expert to see exactly how full of **** I am.

Of course there may also be oiling issues with some of these configurations, and I would only run the diff with full synthetic, and probably over-full by a quart or so.

Lots of good info.. I would like to run a 14 bolt set up.. Right now I have perfect driveline angles.. I would like to keep them.. So high pinion set up would be nice whatever it is.. What does the warthog run? I called Currie and talked to them today.. Shannon runs standard 9" stuff in his KOH car and 10" trophy truck stuff in his Class 1 car..

SOOO.. Upside down 14 bolts would be good.. Or 60s whatever.. Rear steer would be cool but not needed.. How bout Unimog axles?

Lets have a group meeting at the swapmeet about how to get Larry across the finish line at KOH 2012.. LOL

There are 4 different configurations of a high pinion, low pinion, standard gears, reverse cut gears.
Those are:
Low pinion carrier, standard cut gears
Low pinion carrier, reverse cut gears
High pinion carrier, standard cut gears
High pinion carrier, reverse cut gears

A normal person would run a low pinion carrier with standard gears and a high pinion carrier with reverse cut gears

If you run a low pinion carrer with reverse cut gears, the axle will go backwards (when it would normally go forwards)
The same came be said about a high pinion carrier with standard cut gears.

This is just flat out wrong. You can't put reverse cut gears in a low pinion housing and you can't put standard gears in a high pinion housing.

Wow.. I posted something and your actually putting thought into it!!:awesomework:

About FUGGIN TIME!:fawkdancesmiley:

This is just flat out wrong. You can't put reverse cut gears in a low pinion housing and you can't put standard gears in a high pinion housing.

Why not?
Because it'll go backwards? Or because they physically won't fit?

Larry's rig is a rear engined buggy, and if I recall correctly, he's got a non-steer front end in the back, and a steering rear end in the front, because his entire drivetrain has been reversed, and the FRONT output of the transfer case is feeding power to the REAR end, and so on, and so forth?
So it might already have some type of non-standard axle configuration already.

Right now I have perfect driveline angles.. I would like to keep them.. So high pinion set up would be nice whatever it is..

If I recall correctly, you should have a relatively long rear driveline already, thus, the difference in angles between a high pinion and a low pinion (with regard to the angle the driveline would be at rest) should be minimal.

Try and find a configuration whereby the ring gear is on the 'drive' side of the gear while under forward power, and on the 'coast' side of the gear when in reverse. That'll greatly increase R&P life expectency for a heavy-foot driving style.

Me said:
As always, I seldom think thru my hypothesis, and it's probably laden with faults. Take this for what it's worth, about 2 cents. Talk to a differential expert to see exactly how full of **** I am.

Last edited:
Why would you even think about rear steer? You all ready have enough mechanical problems. Not bashing, just pointing out the obvious.

If you flip a standard low pinion axle, you will still be running on the coast side of the gear. If you flip a high pinion you will be on the drive side, but will be stuck with a low pinion axle. Personally, I would rather wear out u-joints instead of breaking ring and pinions.

Have you looked into Sandy Cone's high nine fix?
:edit: Assuming you're running some sort of nine inch?

Last edited:
Why not?
Because it'll go backwards? Or because they physically won't fit?

Larry's rig is a rear engined buggy, and if I recall correctly, he's got a non-steer front end in the back, and a steering rear end in the front, because his entire drivetrain has been reversed, and the FRONT output of the transfer case is feeding power to the REAR end, and so on, and so forth?
So it might already have some type of non-standard axle configuration already.

Because they physically won't fit.

What the heck are you talking about a 'non-steer front end' and a 'steering rear-end'? Do you realize there is no difference between front and rear gears and front and rear housings (other than steering components)? Larry has upside down Ford 9" axles front and rear. The only thing that makes them a front end or a rear end is which end of the vehicle they are in.