• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

The Clod came today

Well, I found a replacement capacitor for the ESC. I guess I will order it (another $10) and then see how it runs after all that.

Next local comp will be in August, you going to be there??

July is at Goldendale and is a non point paying event.

riceburners2001 said:
how far away is Goldendale????
where is the august comp going to be?
I am going to try and have 2 comps in August, one at Des Moines and one at Reiter.

Goldendale is south past Yakima and just north of the Dalles in OR.

ya Ill deff try to make it to the comps on august but Goldendale is too far:sad:
do you guys usally have comps on sat or sun?? around what time??? that would be awsome if I can get the date in advace so I can get them off cuz I usally work weekends!:wtf:

all comp related stuff in in the Warcrc forum at the top.

It is only comp related stuff and not a chatter box.

Dude said:
Next local comp will be in August, you going to be there??

July is at Goldendale and is a non point paying event.
I hope so, but we'll have to see what my work schedule looks like by then, and if I can get the weekend off.

Goldendale is only about 2 hours away for me....what is the date of that one?

21rst thru the 23rd if I recall.

As far as I know we will be front and center for the show. :cool:

I have a stickey at the top on this.

TacOffRd said:
So, now I am on to the wiring portion of things. Is the picture below the best way to wire them...running the ESC to one motor, and then jumping to the other one? I thought I saw on Mike's (smr4runner) that it looked like the two motors were connected with a Dean's Plug....

fig6.jpg

I am also confused by this wiring diagram for the capacitors...how many are used per motor?
fig2.jpg

Thanks for all the help guys.

Hey Brent,
I have my motors set up the same as above. I'm not running caps. I know its supposed to help with surges or interference but I haven't seen this issue with mine. You race guys please feel free to chime in to school us on the advantages.

Oh and don't let I B intimidate you with those big words like end balls and cutting coms and such. :D :flipoff:

Seriously though. I B explained that the cause of one of my motors failing was because it was pretty tapered inside causing the premature failure. However I figure for the price of a good lathe machine I could buy upteen motors for the price of one.

Here is the pics of my setup. The only change is where you see the heat shrink . I replaced that with Dean's plugs so I can easily disconnect when doing maintenance.

wiring02.jpg

In this pic you can see between the carbon fiber chasses where I put in Deans plugs so I can easily disconnect the wires that connect from the back to the front motors.
cfprofile01.jpg

Thanks for the pics Mike. Last night I went ahead and soldered the capacitors on, and I am also going to run a plug between the two motors so I can disconnect them. I think I will go ahead and put a plug between the ESC and the rear motor like you did as well too.

So now I am just waiting for my new 9 tooth pinions to show up and the new capacitor for the ESC. Then I should be able to take this thing out and do some crawlin'. :cheer:

Regarding Capacitors - I thought I read somewhere that you should not run the large polarized cap when running two motors in opposite directions. You were only supposed to run the two small caps on the motor. This had something to do with the regenerative charging effect of the motors while coasting, and the ability of the cap to store a charge. Not sure if this is fact or myth, but it sticks in my mind for some reason.

As for the racing knowledge - the caps on the motor are simply to eliminate radio glitches / interference caused by the brushes "bouncing" on the commutator. On low RPM crawler motors this effect is likely not as noticable as on low wind, high RPM race motors. The big cap on racing speed controls in theory holds a very small charge that can help provide a split-second boost in current under ultra-high load situations, similar to running a giant capacitor in a car audio system.

Mike is right in that lathes for cutting commutators are expensive, but they are a one-time expense. Sometimes even a brand new motor is out of round, like Mike found out. Without cutting it down, the motor is essentially trash. It's not a big deal for a small time hobbiest, but for a serious racer buying $80 mod motors, it's a necessity. If you are having issues, most shops with a track (TRCR) will usually cut your comm for a small fee. You can go in on one with friends, or find a nice guy with a lathe to do it for you. The latter method works best if your request is accompanied by lunch from Micky-D's, or something similar.

Good post Todd.

Yea. I brought my motor to comp so that Torry could look at it.
He described the affect of the tapered part that caused the failure.
I would really like to see the process of cutting the com and rebuilding the motors.

I can cut coms for cheap, find out what a hobby shop charges and I will beat it.

I have a top of the line Huddy lathe with a diamond bit and will guaranty a mirror finish on the com.

cutting coms on any motor will increase performance and efficiency.

in our case in point you will have a stronger running motor and a longer lasting motor over all. If Integy offers replacement arm's than we are golden for good running motors and cheaper in the long run when you don't have to buy a whole new can.

The new body came today, but I'm still waiting on the other stuff. The pinions should be here Monday, and the capacitor for the ESC hopefully later in the week. :cheer:

TacOffRd said:
Dang pinions didn't show up today...hopefully tomorrow. :corn:
git r done!! :clappy:

I know, you can only do so much when waiting.

I am making orders this weekend for a parts supply for Goldendale.

Dude said:
I know, you can only do so much when waiting.
Yep, I've done all the soldering. Just waiting for the pinions so I can put the motors back on and plug it all in.

Last time I got the stuff the next day from Tammies (ordered Wednesday and they came Thursday). This time he said they would go out Friday, but I placed my order later in the day on Friday, so I'm hoping I see them tomorrow.

TacOffRd said:
Yep, I've done all the soldering. Just waiting for the pinions so I can put the motors back on and plug it all in.

Last time I got the stuff the next day from Tammies (ordered Wednesday and they came Thursday). This time he said they would go out Friday, but I placed my order later in the day on Friday, so I'm hoping I see them tomorrow.
I just stick to Tower, they at least have the stuff and can ship over night if need. Plus I have about 4 more I deal with online.

HT treats me good too here in Redmond. I have been going there since they opened years ago.

Tammies is ok, but to small to handle anything like it should.

Dude said:
I just stick to Tower, they at least have the stuff and can ship over night if need. Plus I have about 4 more I deal with online.

HT treats me good too here in Redmond. I have been going there since they opened years ago.

Tammies is ok, but to small to handle anything like it should.
I ordered the body from Tower, and it arrived very promptly as well. So far Tammies has had everything in stock when I call.