• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

the coolest stuff you have bought for our caper/trailer/rv

okeedokee

So just wanted to know of some of the coolest **** you have ever bought for your camping trailer /rv

LED lantern with a solar charger for the batteries and an LPG Genset. I really want an LPG suitcase generator that runs on LPG, is quiet and makes 12VDC. I'd run the exhaust up through a water heater as well. (why waste the heat?)

ARB fridge. Spent last week in Moab and St. George (Hurricane) Utah. Was 110* outside. Put tap water in the water jugs, then into the fridge. Fridge would FREEZE the water, running off 12v battery power, yet takes so little juice that the battery didn't even notice. Not cheap, but well worth it. Carried it in the back of the TJ.

We converted all of the interior lights to LED. Make sure you get the "warm white" not the bright white or cool white versions or else it looks like the Alien Autopsy videos.

We also put the RBG ribbon LEDs on the underside of the awning. Sticks on with doublestick, and rolls up with the awning, then throw the power supply in a drawer. Will run on 12v or 110v. Kinda power hungry tho.

Also installed the patio misters on the awning. Really knocks down the heat. I had to add a regular hose bib on the trailer, then hook up one of those self expanding hoses to act as an accumulator and can run it off the RV water pump. Only runs the pump for about 5 seconds out of every minute, and burns about 5 gallons an hour. I also had a remote pickup on the pump so I could suck from a 5 gallon bucket instead of off my tank.

IMG_20140730_144350_140.jpg

IMG_3035.JPG

I am going to be ordering Air Bags for the RV in the next few days, and then the auto levelers are the next item to purchase... other than that, it is complete...

Solar powered RV window mounted fan (have to order online because no-one has them local)

I'd like to build my own camper next time and use the design I came up with years ago working for Alpenlite that is folding, light and Arctic/Desert insulated with modern materials.

An Afri-cooler (I thought that was the name. Can't find it now) would be good for sunny areas. It has a combo of solar panel and LPG backup mini-fridge. It also has a 12VDC plug for not so sunny days. Plus if left in any light source with the cover off, it glows in the dark. Lithium Iron (not ion) batteries are super light as well but expensive as hell. They are being used in small airplanes (and would probably keep the 777s from catching fire as well)

ARB fridge. Spent last week in Moab and St. George (Hurricane. Oneeeasyrricane) Utah. Was 110* outside. Put tap water in the water jugs, then into the fridge. Fridge would FREEZE the water, running off 12v battery power, yet takes so little juice that the battery didn't even notice. Not cheap, but well worth it. Carried it in the back of the TJ.

I bought a Colman 12v years back works ok but will drain a battery in a few hours easy

I bought a Colman 12v years back works ok but will drain a battery in a few hours easy

The ARB units claim just under 1 amp of power draw.

Your typical automotive battery is good for about 40 to 80 amp hours depending on sizing.

So, in theory, a fully charged 80 amp/hour battery should run the cooler for a little over 80 hours.

BUT!

You generally dont want to take a starting battery below 50% of its rating, or you risk harming it. That 80 hours just became 40 hours.

Thats still about 2 days of constant run time on a dedicated battery, but I cant imagine it runs constantly, so maybe 4 days? Toss a couple solar panels on the roof and if they are big enough, you could probably go for a LONG time.

The ARB units claim just under 1 amp of power draw.

Your typical automotive battery is good for about 40 to 80 amp hours depending on sizing.

So, in theory, a fully charged 80 amp/hour battery should run the cooler for a little over 80 hours.

BUT!

You generally dont want to take a starting battery below 50% of its rating, or you risk harming it. That 80 hours just became 40 hours.

Thats still about 2 days of constant run time on a dedicated battery, but I cant imagine it runs constantly, so maybe 4 days? Toss a couple solar panels on the roof and if they are big enough, you could probably go for a LONG time.
But... if it's a wheeling rig, you will run that vehicle for a few hours every day you're out and about. So, it will never drain the battery until you park it in the barn. And in that case, you don't need the fridge running.

Plus, the ARB fridge has dual plugs, both a 110/220 plug, and a 12v plug. So it can double as a beer fridge, if you so desire.

We have one of those Coleman ones, we hardly ever use it. When I did use it, it was only outside plugged into 110 power.

I would LOVE to have an ARB one.