• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

The Gremlin - Toyota beater truggy build

rednecklights said:
Will this unit be at Hpo in a couple weekends?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt it. I'd like to, but I'm limiting my 200+ mile wheelin trips since we're trying to save up a good chunk of money before the young'n gets here in August since my wife is not planning to go back to work till Jan.

I waved at you at GR, but I was heading the other direction.

Ol jeep xj pump with integrated reservoir finally crapped out completely after memorial weekend in Tracy City.

Working on a low buck hopefully upgraded setup... And easy.

1990 Pontiac Sunbird CB style pump, and a 1990 Dodge Caravan pulley pressed on backwards...

The CB pump has the same mounting pattern/size as the TC pump, but is more akin to a P pump in construction and displacement.

8971aaa55bbe462a0e20b3e37d2fd993.jpg

nhl_bullitt said:
Clever fix for the steering. I always appreciate your knowledge.

We'll see how the CB pump works out, if it doesn't I can get a TC pump from a 4cyl S10 that will bolt right up and the intake nipple is at in a very similar angle.

I'm on the hunt for a CBR pump that I can get ahold of for cheap, they are still really new though.

The CB pump was only $35 at RockAuto. Pulley was $17 on Amazon.

Finished up the power steering redo.

Built a new 1/2 gallon reservoir out of a new oil filter can, some fittings, some perforated sheet for internal baffling, and a steel radiator filler neck and 7psi cap.

This seems to have solved all my steering problems. I'll find out for sure this weekend.

Also added a filter to the system

7aa75386ad10712ffa7d694e2ca1ecb5.jpg

83e85dd114b2c5f79cc705e082161ace.jpg

sappmann said:
that green hose isnt a water hose is it?

Damn I'm a cheap bastard, but not THAT cheap :wtflol:

No, it's 5/8" high temp silicone hose. (usually used for either badass heater hose, or turbo oil drainback hose)

Waterhose IS usually 5/8" though... so it probably would have worked. :JRich:

Just curious, how's that CB pump working out? A parts store alternative to the aftermarket pumps is the unicorn people have sought for years.

Markrobinson said:
Just curious, how's that CB pump working out? A parts store alternative to the aftermarket pumps is the unicorn people have sought for years.

Seems fine. Steers as good as my old buggy that had a trail gear 1650 pump.

It's not a unicorn by any means. It was on wholesaler close out at Rockauto for $30. Just happened to be a OEM remote res setup pump that will bolt into the same bracket as a TC pump.

If the CB pump takes a crap I'm going to a TC pump from the next year model Sunbird, or a 80s 4cyl S10.

Finally got to go do some trail riding. Been to GMP a couple times this summer but that's about it.

the Gremlin and its older brother (my old 4runner) out at Blackhouse this Sunday

70882a7fc406ee0c81570f96e5ee18b7.jpg

86d01bbf198c3b4996b7c632f278fd7c.jpg

daf0d5d4db36f93c768fa61c36768814.jpg

That place has some great trails and pretty cool views. How is the rest of the trails? Heard they had been logging some.

Re: Re: The Gremlin - Toyota beater truggy build

tyleecw said:
That place has some great trails and pretty cool views. How is the rest of the trails? Heard they had been logging some.
We didn't see any evidence of logging on the trails. We didn't go any farther north than the car hauler though.

I'd like to come ride there with y'all some time. We go but just wonder around. It looks like y'all know your way around

Re: Re: The Gremlin - Toyota beater truggy build

wizzo said:
I'd like to come ride there with y'all some time. We go but just wonder around. It looks like y'all know your way around
I'll let you know next time we plan to ride there.

Sunday was kind of a spur of the moment thing. Only 2 rigs and 2 drivers so we covered some ground pretty quick.

We started on the main trail, dropped off spike's bluff into the hole, climbed out back on the main trail, played around on carpenters rock house, and ran the car hauler trail, then turned around and did it all backwards.

Good 6-7 hour ride with a few short stops. Even when I crashed my **** off the rock house... Luckily the trees caught me on my second roll and we just had to pull the cage up a bit and I dropped off behind the tree and under the rockhouse. I rolled off the climb to the right in the picture. ICants didn't hang.

b520dbcb577766ef65d6a57894c15744.jpg

I've seen that happen more than once. They were logging in 2 places on the ky side not sure if they still are. As long as you're not bothering them they won't bother you. The ones behind dry hollow church house even pulled a tree out of the road so we could go through.

Latest posts