• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

The Mississippi Boys go "Rock Bouncing" at Gray Rock

blacksheep10 said:
the trucks run P pumps still, the cars run tc pumps. I was putting O'shitty's repop'd tc's on the race buggy, but I guess it didn't have enough inflow from the cooler. they were burning up right away. were you running a cooler greg?
a tiny little one tube and fin cooler..it couldn't have been doing that much for keeping it cool. I could sit with the motor hitting the rev limiter, then blast down the road at 70mph it never got so hot that it became "notchy" like the PSC pumps did when they started getting hot. Maybe I've had good luck, I just know of a few others running LS1's with stock pumps and no complaints.

GStone said:
a tiny little one tube and fin cooler..it couldn't have been doing that much for keeping it cool. I could sit with the motor hitting the rev limiter, then blast down the road at 70mph it never got so hot that it became "notchy" like the PSC pumps did when they started getting hot. Maybe I've had good luck, I just know of a few others running LS1's with stock pumps and no complaints.

When I go to a 6.0, I am going to try the stock pump before buying anything.

mine still has the jeep 4.0 striaght 6, and i tried the stock pump when i first built it (i'm a cheap ass) but it sucked balls

I think a stock pump will live on my new system just as easy as the Howe pump.

You have to ditch that small fin cooler, its just restricts flow. Then bore the inlet on the pump to something bigger than the very restrictive 5/16's and rock out.
I dont believe I've had a temp problem just a supply flow problem.

blacksheep10 said:
not exactly correct. its a snowball. cavitation is from restricted flow. it causes heat....which causes more cavitation. the root was flow, the end result was heat which kills them.

Restriction from using a plate style cooler rather than a tube and fin style cooler?
I use a large plate style cooler on my buggy now, and it seems to work fine with my PSC pump. :dunno:

I have talked to Howe and PSC about this issue as my buggy was all Howe when I got it and it was not good at all. It did have a farm ram witch got dumped for a PSC. That helped but the pump still fought me. Sent the Howe TC pump to PSC and they did something and it is like new. I have a huge trans cooler on mine but I want to dump it for the small Howe unit. Talking with both the Howe folks seem to REALLY focus on air in the system and flow restriction. Don't know if there is really that much different between them and PSC, but they both have very different schools of thought

I think I am going to give Howe a try after riding with Greg last weekend and seeing how fast his steering is.

Matt O. said:
I have talked to Howe and PSC about this issue as my buggy was all Howe when I got it and it was not good at all. It did have a farm ram witch got dumped for a PSC. That helped but the pump still fought me. Sent the Howe TC pump to PSC and they did something and it is like new. I have a huge trans cooler on mine but I want to dump it for the small Howe unit. Talking with both the Howe folks seem to REALLY focus on air in the system and flow restriction. Don't know if there is really that much different between them and PSC, but they both have very different schools of thought

What changed when you switched from the Ag ram to a PSC one? I've been thinking about ditching mine, especially since i have an 8 inch ram right now and could really use a 9.

9" ram are you sure? Do you have custom axles?
I have an 8" PSC and I am not using all of it on a stock stop axle. I mean my tires get into tubework before I can bottom or top the ram out and that is with the tie rod disconnected to check binding. I think you need to revisit your ram mount if you think you need a 9" ram.

I went from an 2x8 farm ram to a 2.5x8 SE ram and the difference is huge. THe extra bore helps a bunch but will slow down the wheel a little. I use just about all of my 8" ram and my steering is VERY good. Several have commented on how far it turns in stock firm with non-machined shafts. I talked to Jeff Howe today about his small frame cooler and I will probaby pick one up because packaging is easy and it will not restrict air flow to my radiator like my huge cooler does now.

Cole said:
I think I am going to give Howe a try after riding with Greg last weekend and seeing how fast his steering is.

Good choice Cole, if you do get the hoses from him as well. I am going to change mine out to there's this winter and add a cooler. I never thought about the lock to lock until you said something. Why don't you give it a ride this weekend and see how you like it? thumb.gif

InDaShop said:
9" ram are you sure? Do you have custom axles?
I have an 8" PSC and I am not using all of it on a stock stop axle. I mean my tires get into tubework before I can bottom or top the ram out and that is with the tie rod disconnected to check binding. I think you need to revisit your ram mount if you think you need a 9" ram.
Tierod goes between the factory knuckles on the rockwell, ram is mounted between the housing and a tab on the tierod. It doesn't have quite enough stroke. The kingpin to tierod hole distance on a rockwell is farther than on most axles i think. From what i can tell i either need a longer ram or to mount the 8inch on a highsteer arm that has a shorter distance from the kingpin to mounting hole.

Latest posts