• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

the perfect differential gearing?

Bebop said:
@ Broady : Seems to me you're answering your own question.
Re-gear the 60 and rock on. New gears are like 200 bucks and you keep your atlas and can easily find a rear detroit locked 4.56 geared 14 bolt from a cucv.

I am leaning heavily in that direction

LS engine , TH400? trans, 4.3 atlas and gear ratios below.
5.13 1,2,3 54.71, 32.65,22.06
4.56 1,2,3 48.70, 29.06, 19.64
3.73 1,2,3 39.78, 23.74, 16.04 ratios in each gear.

In my opinion on the east coast about a 33 to 1 ratio with V8 torque feels low enough for me. That is dry crawling or good of traction as we get down here.
I had 25 to 1 ratio behind a 5.3 , TH350 (1800 stall) , 205 and it worked ok but was too high to me. It felt really "racey" and would be great for that application.
I recently changed to 30 to 1 and feels much better, to go lower I would have to replace the NP205.

The 4.56 would give you a really low first, usable 2nd and still have 3rd for between trails, plus high range. Budget friendly too as stated above.

RustyC said:
LS engine , TH400? trans, 4.3 atlas and gear ratios below.
5.13 1,2,3 54.71, 32.65,22.06
4.56 1,2,3 48.70, 29.06, 19.64
3.73 1,2,3 39.78, 23.74, 16.04 ratios in each gear.

In my opinion on the east coast about a 33 to 1 ratio with V8 torque feels low enough for me. That is dry crawling or good of traction as we get down here.
I had 25 to 1 ratio behind a 5.3 , TH350 (1800 stall) , 205 and it worked ok but was too high to me. It felt really "racey" and would be great for that application.
I recently changed to 30 to 1 and feels much better, to go lower I would have to replace the NP205.

The 4.56 would give you a really low first, usable 2nd and still have 3rd for between trails, plus high range. Budget friendly too as stated above.

good info here

Thank you!

I'm glad to hear you're happy with 30:1. My single seater is going to be 27.85:1 (LQ9 6.0, powerglide, 3.0 Atlas, 5.13s) I've been worrying myself that it was going to be too high.

30 to 1 is the bare minimum for me with about 250 ft lbs. 4 bangers need to be 80 to 1, sixes 55 to 1, and 8s can go 35 to 1 with an auto as long as the weights are appropriate for their displacements. These are all seat of the pants numbers for me with 40 inch tires. We all like it a little different just like our women

I'm at 43:1 in my rig. Sometimes I feel like itnmay be a little deep but it works out perfect for me because I'm a crawler that beats on it when I need to. I'd rather be a little too low than high. You can go lower than first gear but you can definitely shift to a higher gear.

pholmann said:
I'm at 43:1 in my rig. Sometimes I feel like itnmay be a little deep but it works out perfect for me because I'm a crawler that beats on it when I need to. I'd rather be a little too low than high. You can go lower than first gear but you can definitely shift to a higher gear.

Yeah, this is what you and I were talking about the other day. I love to trail ride and do every chance I get. The rig will primarily be set up for the riding 90% of us do, I just want to have some power in my back pocket when I need it.

For you guys with Atlas cases (with 3.8, 4.3 +) and deeper gears (4.88, 5.13 +) , do you ever use high range to run around the trails from obstacle to obstacle? I can see where being in low gear for putting around would be way too low.

Re: Re: the perfect differential gearing?

smbroady82 said:
Yeah, this is what you and I were talking about the other day. I love to trail ride and do every chance I get. The rig will primarily be set up for the riding 90% of us do, I just want to have some power in my back pocket when I need it.

For you guys with Atlas cases (with 3.8, 4.3 +) and deeper gears (4.88, 5.13 +) , do you ever use high range to run around the trails from obstacle to obstacle? I can see where being in low gear for putting around would be way too low.
I think my 700/241/5.13 puts me around to 43 to 1 area and I basically only use low gear even when I'm blasting around the easy trails to get to the hard ones at places like Harlan and Windrock. I think that might be what has helped my 700 last for 5 years?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

smbroady82 said:

Third goes a long way, even with low gears in the case and axles.

pholmann said:

I feel the same way. forgot by now, but I'm running either 5.13s or 5.38s in mine (60/14), th350 (2700 stall), atlas 3.8 and a decently built 6.0 (500+hp) on 43s

little too low for going trail to trail in low range, but more than enough motor to cruise in high range and first gear.

I prefer to be a little too low and shift up. I typically crawl stuff and run around in 2nd or 3rd in low range. plenty of wheel speed when needed. I would almost prefer the atlas being a 3.0, but not worth spending the $ on changing.

according to the calculator, my crawl ratio will be 52:1 and maxes out at 35 mph in low range.

hope that helps someone...

I have always wheeled stuff with no power, my. Last samurai was around 62.1, and I liked that ok. I'm shooting for mid 50's in my new one, just like Patrick said, you can always grab another gear for wheel speed. But I have a wimpy 4.3 V6, so all I do is crawl around anyway.

zukimaster said:
I have always wheeled stuff with no power, my. Last samurai was around 62.1, and I liked that ok. I'm shooting for mid 50's in my new one, just like Patrick said, you can always grab another gear for wheel speed. But I have a wimpy 4.3 V6, so all I do is crawl around anyway.

You about done with the tin top yet??