• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tips on grooving TN cut TSL's

ryannuttz

Just found a new set of 42 TSL's and looking for some tips on TN cutting a TSL.
I used to groove my MX tires so im familiar with grooving but there are tricks to
everything to making the job go smoother and look better since every tire compound is a little different.
Technique, size of blade, depth leave the cut look or buff the cut edges down..ect

use a well ventilated area or a fan behind you and warmer tirs cut better than cold tires...the smoke off the knife aint good to breathe

Ahh .... didn't think about warming the tires that makes sense. We've only been under a hundred 1 day since the beginning of June so ill thro em out in this good ole Texas heat before I get started.

I always heard to take a chisel and heat it till it glowed with a torch and it would do much better than a cheap groover. Guy I bought my buggy from tennessee cut the rears. Said he put them in front of a heater and they cut like butter.

putting them in front of a heater or a hand held propane torch does the trick also. Heat up a small area at a time makes grooving fast and easy

who wants to heat anything with a heater in the middle of summer? u could always pay someone that does it all the time fast and no sweat from u! but gettin them hot does help a ton i have a instant heat grover that holds a 1 inch wide blade to knock the lugs out then come back and to the finer detail work with a smaller cheap groover just my opinions

i bought a swiss army knife from tachedoutoffroad and took mine to leelee fab with a joint and 2 cases :drinkers: :drinkers: of beer ......... they looked like **** but worked good !!!!!!!! i guess i should have only took a case and a half

I cut them with a sawzall using a blade sharpened like a knife. It needs to be pretty sharp to cut well. Pretty easy to cut the little lugs out of boggers, on tsl's (aetna cut) I cut straight down into the middle of the outside lug, then take a wedge out going from the about halfway day the lug I want to remove back to the base of my first cut. This gives some room to work. Then finish cutting that lug out. Then cut straight down the middle of the opposite lug and finish by cutting that one off along the bottom. Watch the tip of the blade! It can easily cut into the tire, especially while cutting the second lug out.

I can see where the sawzall would work for Aetna or Boggers but TN cut is gunna be a little different right? Plus the damn 42's have thick wear bars so i guess I'll cut them out to.
The 44's we have dont have them like the 42's. I looked at groovers on ebay and suspecting U get what you pay for. What groovers do you guys use? I dont wanna buy one that will only work half ass on one set then
throw away. I have more to do after these so I want a decent one without breakin the bank.