• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tire on the roof?

I had a fullsize spare on my cherocars roof, most annoying thing in the world. So i keep the fullsize either at camp or at home depending on what im wheeling and i carry a tiny tire (about 4 sizes too small) for an "oh ****" spare on the roof.

I had a fullsize spare on my cherocars roof, most annoying thing in the world. So i keep the fullsize either at camp or at home depending on what im wheeling and i carry a tiny tire (about 4 sizes too small) for an "oh ****" spare on the roof.

How big was the spare that you had up there?

Run down to the junkyard and get a spare steel wheel for $10-20, and get yourself a 30ish by 8.5-9.5" tire.

An inch or two won't make a big difference in terms of driveability...look at most modern cars with "space-saver" spares in the trunk.

This will take up less space, and perhaps fit under the bed of your truck?
If not, it's probably thin enough to slide under your toolbox. I have a buddy who went this route...his tire is just barely too wide to slip under, so he airs it down and slides it under. Put a little air in after its under the toolbox and it won't slide around or get stolen!

This! I tried toting my 40" spare around for a while. Choppy said "Your gonna hate that thing" before my 1st run with the carrier. He was right! I carry a plug kit and a small compressor for minor issues. The spare is locked on the trailer just in case.

This. Or bolt it to the bedside standing up behind the wheel well. :awesomework:

I run 33X12.5. The smaller tire is a little iffy down the road at 60, but to get to the trail head i have used it and its fine. I think i got mine for $10 at a junk yard. BUT i'm cheap and the one i have is cracked more then liberty bell.

I got my rack done yesterday, but I just strapped the tire up, and it is definitely more tippy around corners, but it's not bad. I don't drive my truck like a sports car, so it's fine.

time to get a snorkel next. :awesomework:

Loading a Ranger with 2 dirt bikes, a barbecue, tent, cooler, food, firewood, gear, gas cans, and wheeling stuff,overfills a truck fast. The rack is not for only the tire, it just serves that perpouse too.

For what it's worth, Ranger air intakes are at the bottom of the grill, and fill with water easy (I've done it).

Last edited:
Load stuff on the roof to get to your spot and then take it off when you get there. You could also add a rack that attaches to your trailer hitch for more capacity, two big coolers can fit on one.