• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

TJ budget lifts?

64FJ40

There are approximately 5000 more lift kits out there than I realized, and I don't have experience with any of them.

My little bro is looking for a 2.5"-ish lift for an early (I noticed there's a year break for some kits?) TJ to clear some 32s. It's a daily driver that will see some mild trails.

There are several "coils & shocks" kits out there - anything good or bad about any of them?

2001 TJ SE, I'm running Explorer Pro Comp 2" springs, RS9000X Rancho shocks, and 32" Cooper STTs. A minute amount of rub with the sway bar disconnected at full flex with the steering to lock. Over 100k on this set up and many trails. Runs down the freeway like a new rig still.

Last edited:
2001 TJ SE, I'm running Explorer Pro Comp 2" springs, RS9000X Rancho shocks, and 32" Cooper STTs. A minute amount of rub with the sway bar disconnected at full flex with the steering to lock. Over 100k on this set up and many trails. Runs down the freeway like a new rig still.

This brings up another thing he was asking me about - tire rub with 32s on stock wheels. He's thinking about going to cheap aftermarket steelies like yours to get less backspacing, but wasn't sure if it's actually necessary. The stock alloys are 7" wide I think, but I'm not sure what the backspacing is?

This brings up another thing he was asking me about - tire rub with 32s on stock wheels. He's thinking about going to cheap aftermarket steelies like yours to get less backspacing, but wasn't sure if it's actually necessary. The stock alloys are 7" wide I think, but I'm not sure what the backspacing is?

With a 11.50 wide tire I prefer an 8" wheel, and I think getting them away from the inner fenderwell/frame really helped. All of my rubbing seems to be on the front flairs. And the stock wheels are moose azz ugly!