• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

TJ Steering Box- leak/update

whiterice

Happy Holidays to all, so I am playing in the shop and need some help.
I have '98 TJ, basic build 4" long arm+35" tires. My steering box leaks out of the steering arm output shaft. Other then that it is in good shape, low miles like sitting at 78K. Question is where can I drop off the box for seal replacement or is there anyone who could do a port and polish to get the OME box to work like a mod PSC box to work with OME pump? Don't think it needs a rebuild but wouldn't mind a bit easier steering while off road.
Thanks

That one worked great, and would be glad to pick it up. Not being a well rounded welder, how do you think that cast could be welded? Off hand that is what was the cause of the leak on that one. Any chance of we could get the box welded up? Maybe even a parts swap into my OME box? That one just has a bad output shaft seal, from what I have read I wasn't looking forward to a DIY rebuild. Is that something that may work also?

Done, took my steering box down to Red Head Steering in North Seattle. Had a custom rebuild that was set up with 18-1 ratio and a medium feel valve body. Steering wheel feel is lighter then stock and still running OME pump. Good service and nice folks in the back. Talked with me for 20 minutes to get input on what I was looking for.. Happy with product.

Last edited: