• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

to glass or not to glass

Damnyankee

So, last weekend i busted another side window in my pathfinder.

everybody is telling me to put a piece of plastic in it.

I've lost 2 windows in 4 years so thats not too bad, the problem is that its a big window and when it breaks there is lots to clean up.

so
what should i use?

Lexan,
glass,
other..

all constructive input is appreciated.:beer:

Lexan, uv stable stuff. Cleaning glass up sucks.

The down side to plastic is it will scratch and it flexes more then glass.

Lexan, uv stable stuff. Cleaning glass up sucks.

The down side to plastic is it will scratch and it flexes more then glass.

I know it scatches easier.. but if you look at the 2 door pathfinders, the long back window is huge, and makes a horrible mess.

I had a little one in my rig when it broke. so i want to make sure they are safe too.

stupid tree root, poked through the exo and SMASH

Does it need to be secure (i.e. keep thieves out) or just keep rain out?

Does it need to look nice?

If not, I think I'd just silicone in some lexan or cheap acrylic so that if something pushed on it, it would fall inside rather than break.

Does it need to be secure (i.e. keep thieves out) or just keep rain out?

Does it need to look nice?

If not, I think I'd just silicone in some lexan or cheap acrylic so that if something pushed on it, it would fall inside rather than break.

just needs t be dry and keep **** in.

secure.. not so much, if they wanted in that bad, they can crawl through the half doors..lol

i just spoke to a buddy and he said he can get me some security film.. like the stuff they put on bank windows.. for FREEEEEEEEEEE

suposedly, you could hurl a man hole cover at it and it won't go through.. break yes, but not shafter and make holes.. etc.

anybody have experience with this stuff i guess its called 11 mil security film

Glass sucks in a wheelin rig. Pop a window and your picking glass outta your clothes for months. Lexan is superior to regular plastic in scratch resistance and clarity over time but does cost more money. Stay away from plexi it will shatter like glass. It is harder to break but will shatter when it does.

I have used all three and would never use anything but lexan anymore.

If you remember my rig from the fun run my windshield is lexan and I have been running it for a few years now. It has some scratches but nothing to bad. If you look across my windshield the frame is so bent and twisted the windshield looks like a fun house mirror. The lexan stays in just fine.

Where's the poll???:fawkdancesmiley:
My vote would be Lexan...

just wanting to hear experiences.

I just was given another alternative.(buddy of mine does security glass and such)

security film over the glass.

11 mil to be exact. supposedly you could hurl a brick at it and it will stay all in 1 piece.

anybody else had experience with this stuff?

You could put a new window in and have it tinted. They sell tint that is clear thats meant to just block UV.