• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toe in or not?

mudhoney

i just finished hy-steer on the yota. it drives and handles great. does toe in 1/4 inch improve tire wear or handling. Should i or not.

I always go w/ 1/8" of toe-in at an 18" radius from center. Handles well and tire wear is not an issue.

- Chris

mudhoney said:
i just finished hy-steer on the yota. it drives and handles great. does toe in 1/4 inch improve tire wear or handling. Should i or not.

From what i heard when you set the tow in 1/4 inch as your sdriving down the road it will track straight and get better tire wear.

crash said:
I set all of my rigs to 1/8" toe out.....
Why? To be different?:flipoff: Just wondering, I run my rig at 1/4 or so out, seems best for the deathwobble (yes, even with hydro, must be a SX thing) but normally I'd say 1/8" in.

If you toe in you run the rist of over stering your front joints.

Here at work you typucally run 2 degrees of tow out----never ever toe in. toeing in causes the tires to fight each other on rutted surfaces.. This is not opinion this is an industry standard

It makes sense, IIRC most of the alignment specs had slight toe-in. Are the newer vehicles different? Not trying to bust your balls, I agree that for off-road rigs slight toe out makes more sense and will be changing my alignments to toe-out:D Just wondering about the on-road applications.

TMFabrication said:
It makes sense, IIRC most of the alignment specs had slight toe-in. Are the newer vehicles different? Not trying to bust your balls, I agree that for off-road rigs slight toe out makes more sense and will be changing my alignments to toe-out:D Just wondering about the on-road applications.

All of the newer stuff is typically toed out. I don't do the alignments here at work(told them I refuse to do them,lol) but I have one of the guys under me do them since I have more important things to do but I do keep an eye on them and know what the specs are(granted they are a lil different for each aplication)..

One thing I have noticed toe out typically is more stable in the badly rutted roads we have in this state.. But every rig I have done had great on road characteristics...

crash said:
All of the newer stuff is typically toed out. I don't do the alignments here at work(told them I refuse to do them,lol) but I have one of the guys under me do them since I have more important things to do but I do keep an eye on them and know what the specs are(granted they are a lil different for each aplication)..

One thing I have noticed toe out typically is more stable in the badly rutted roads we have in this state.. But every rig I have done had great on road characteristics...

Tow out will where the insides of the tires out.If thats the case that all the new cars are towed out then now i understand as a tire tech that is why when i change tires on cars ,trucks why the tires are more worn on the inside of the tread.