• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Torque vs. Horsepower

Trailtoy1993

Alright, lets have at it.

Its been stated that Horsepower is the real answer to all engine performance and that torque is not a measure of anything. And that two engines of equal horsepower will tow the same regardless of torque as long as the weight and gear ratios are the same.....

BULLSHIT

Torque is expressed in the US as lb-ft. THis is read as Foot-pounds of torque and is quite literally the amount of power required to lift one pound of weight one foot vertically. It is a standard measure of power.

Horsepower, is an equation developed at the advent of the tractor to express to farmers how much work the tractor could do as compared to their horses and is expressed as (torque*RPM/5252)=horsepower. Because of the 5252 factor used to divide torque and rpm then torque and horsepower are always the same at 5252RPM. Always check Dyno charts to see if this is so. If they aren't the Dyno charts are fakes.
Torque is the amount of twist
Rpm is the number of twists
Horsepower is the combo of both of them
Bigger torque is a stronger twist
Bigger Horsepower is a larger of number of twists but not necessarily bigger twists
If you have sufficient number of twists per minute you can raise HP even though torque is beginning to fall. (to a point but eventually torque falls off so bad that HP does as well)
Max torque occurrs at max volumetric efficiency (or where the engine's breathing is the most perfect)

The example that I put forward is that of my 3sgte toyota 4 cylinder. It is turbocharged and the design goal is 425 horsepower. But, that HP number is expected at about 6500 rpm. Now, if we back out the equation we get this 425*5252/6500=343 lb-ft torque. Awesome in my little celica to be sure... Not a tow truck motor, more of a race car motor. Example two is A 425 cat over-the-road semi engine. Again, 425 horsepower but at 2300 rpm and this backs out as 425*5252/2300=970 lb-ft torque and we are just backing out the torque at HP peak rpm the actual torque peak is at lower rpm then the HP peak and will be a larger number. So, which engine would you rather tow 80,000 pounds with?

Torque is power measure, HP is range of power. In my mind HP is nearly irrelevant I typically look at torque numbers and max rpm numbers in an engine rather than HP as you can easily figure the hp if you know the other two. So, which number is bullshit to you?

I fully agree with you... To me it depends on what I am going to do with the engine to determine which number matters. On my wheeler I want torque and as much as possible... On my crotch rocket is all about hp cause it's a "race" engine and not used for heavy loads

Who said that?? You said it's been stated..

It was stated in the PSD vs. Cummins thread. And I was graciously asked to open another thread to debate torque versus horsepower rather than pollute the original thread.

My apology if this is a repost. I don't come to NWW everyday and apparently missed this debate. Whatever, let this thread die then, don't make a **** to me.

It is a repost but if it will keep some of you guys from posting this stuff in the other thread then lets do it again....
I happen to be busy with work today so I'll post up as soon as I can. I highly recommend though that everyone read the linked article in the other thread first.....:cool:

Motor characteristics differ from motor to motor (gas or electric). Power is a function of torque and motor speed. The power rating of a motor is defined as at a specific RPM. Just because you are running your 300HP motor at 5RPM you are not necessarily getting more torque at 500RPM. This is important when using the calculations.

The big thing you are missing in your comments is gearing. A higher HP motor will have the potential to output more torque at the same speed as a lower HP motor if it is geared correctly. Also depends on the speed vs torque curves.

Bottom line - horsepower is a function of torque, they are directly related to each other. You need to look at how you need to get the power to the road.

In my simple terms....how quickly you get there (a given rpm) is torque....horsepower is what it takes to keep it (same given rpm) there...:hi:

Its been stated that Horsepower is the real answer to all engine performance and that torque is not a measure of anything. And that two engines of equal horsepower will tow the same regardless of torque as long as the weight and gear ratios are the same.....
Who said that? Where?

The example that I put forward is that of my 3sgte toyota 4 cylinder. It is turbocharged and the design goal is 425 horsepower. But, that HP number is expected at about 6500 rpm. Now, if we back out the equation we get this 425*5252/6500=343 lb-ft torque.
That would be the torque at that specific RPM but not peak torque.

Awesome in my little celica to be sure... Not a tow truck motor, more of a race car motor.
Why do you feel the two should be different? I'll elaborate on this more in a separate post....

Example two is A 425 cat over-the-road semi engine. Again, 425 horsepower but at 2300 rpm and this backs out as 425*5252/2300=970 lb-ft torque and we are just backing out the torque at HP peak rpm the actual torque peak is at lower rpm then the HP peak and will be a larger number. So, which engine would you rather tow 80,000 pounds with?
I would rather tow with the Cat as I'm sure it would last longer but based on the information you've given they would accelerate equal.

Torque is power measure, HP is range of power. In my mind HP is nearly irrelevant I typically look at torque numbers and max rpm numbers in an engine rather than HP as you can easily figure the hp if you know the other two. So, which number is bullshit to you?
Torque is not a power measure it's a twisting force. Force not motion. HP is not a range of power it's a measurement of power or ability to do work.
Yes you can figure HP if you know the other two as it's derived from the other two. You can also know RPM as it's a given number but it takes the other two to figure it, reverse engineering. You can't calculate RPM knowing only HP or torque, you need both or measure it directly. Torque can be measured directly WITHOUT RPM because it's not a motion. That's the point! HP is a combination of torque and HP. You need RPM to do work as no RPM means nothing is moving. Torque at a RPM is HP! By saying your engine makes 970 ft-lbs at 2300 RPM is a long way of saying 425 HP....

Motor characteristics differ from motor to motor (gas or electric). Power is a function of torque and motor speed. The power rating of a motor is defined as at a specific RPM. Just because you are running your 300HP motor at 5RPM you are not necessarily getting more torque at 500RPM. This is important when using the calculations..
Yes! Absolutely you need to know the RPM range where your engine makes it's power. This is known as a power band. Comparing semi engines to ricer engines isn't as obvious as it seems if you only compare peak numbers.

The big thing you are missing in your comments is gearing. A higher HP motor will have the potential to output more torque at the same speed as a lower HP motor if it is geared correctly. Also depends on the speed vs torque curves..
Gearing in a tow rig is the reason you don't need to care about engine torque output. Torque multiplication from the gears assures you will have plenty of torque at the wheels. Remember gears multiply torque and not HP. I'll elaborate on this more in another post.

Bottom line - horsepower is a function of torque, they are directly related to each other. You need to look at how you need to get the power to the road.
Slight correction, HP is a function of torque and RPM.
And yes in a tow rig what makes it to the road through the tires is what matters, not so much engine output.