• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tow rig swap ?

Jon Piper

There is a fella at work that's been on me for a while to buy the excursion..... i half assed priced it and he was all kinds of excited. My FIL bought a dodge D350 new back in '83 - it now has 32,000 miles. 360 - 4speed - 2wd.

Now imagine you had this cool old dodge and $4-5000 to put into it. What would you do to it ? I've been toying around with the idea but I'm not set in stone yet. I'd like to stay away from a diesel swap...... maybe LS ? Stay carbed Mopar ?

Whatcha think ?

Here it is:

3f558c27603769f33f9082e49d3ea45f.jpg

I can see this :

50291cfb642d65f6db9830d9f2cd53c9.jpg

f6c2785d9f55e9cf86c7b835830e9ca7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will regret getting rid of ur excursion, man they can carry some crap and sleep in the back, and looks like that kids trying to tell ya that dodge only worth .2 cents

I think that dodge is good just like it is. Only thing I might consider doing to it would be a 4wd conversion to make it a little more useful (for me anyway)

No way I'd give up the interior of an excursion (unless you just really don't want/need an SUV)

What are you towing with it? I had a '93 D350 extended cab like the black you posted up. Nice truck but rust along the drip rails and the shitastic fusible links everywhere made be get rid of it. Id keep the excursion. They seem to hold their value much longer.

I've got a healthy 400ci big block, 727 trans and all the parts you need to put it in that truck that I will cut you a deal on. And I might be interested in that 360 and 4 spd.

I like the black one, but as someone that tows with a reg cab truck I hate it. especially on trips because your shits in the back of your truck and it never fails your camper top leaks and your clothes are wet or if you just throw your stuff in rubber bins it still somehow gets wet with out the camper top. I say keep the excursion.

rednecklights said:
No sir. It's more of a hypothetical at the moment.

And aren't I supposed to let you know before I sell it ? thumb.gif
yes you kinda priced it to me awhile back if you remember. I've currently got an excursion now which is super duper nice and I love it but it's got a stupid ass v10 in it that totally sucks balls pulling our camper at a whopping 6.7 mpg and my powerstroke would pull it in half pulling twice the weight and be getting close to 15 mpg. I've got fabricator looking for me a 7.3 excursion that's rusty now to do a diesel conversion on mine if I don't sell it first :dunno:

fordcontraption01 said:
yes you kinda priced it to me awhile back if you remember. I've currently got an excursion now which is super duper nice and I love it but it's got a stupid ass v10 in it that totally sucks balls pulling our camper at a whopping 6.7 mpg and my powerstroke would pull it in half pulling twice the weight and be getting close to 15 mpg. I've got fabricator looking for me a 7.3 excursion that's rusty now to do a diesel conversion on mine if I don't sell it first :dunno:
You looking for 2wd or 4wd and what you wanting to spend

I'm all for old school but dammit man... the only thing worse than trading a ford for a dodge would be trading a chevy for a ford.... or worse yet..... nah.... can't even say it....

the_white_shadow said:
What are you towing with it? I had a '93 D350 extended cab like the black you posted up. Nice truck but rust along the drip rails and the shitastic fusible links everywhere made be get rid of it. Id keep the excursion. They seem to hold their value much longer.

I don't pull heavy. 3000lb rig with a 18 ft car hauler

gottagofast said:
I'm all for old school but dammit man... the only thing worse than trading a ford for a dodge would be trading a chevy for a ford.... or worse yet..... nah.... can't even say it....v

I'm not a dodge guy but that old rig is cool as the flip side of the pillow! Mainly due to the family history .... heck , there is no telling how many cow sales my wife went to in that thing. I'm going to eventually end up with it but most likely not for a while.

I love the simplicity of the carbed engine but I'd hate life pulling 55-60 with no over drive. When I started thinking about doing it up I'd thought about a 6.0 4L80 with a super duty 60 flashemifyougotem ... then everyone could be pissed at me with a Chevy powered dodge with Ford axles molaugh

Yeah, that would not be cool. The motor I've got for you makes around 350-400 hp and around 450-500 ft lbs of torque. And it's still running a stock converter. You could easily put an overdrive auto or a 5-6 spd manual behind it.

MoparMan said:
Yeah, that would not be cool. The motor I've got for you makes around 350-400 hp and around 450-500 ft lbs of torque. And it's still running a stock converter. You could easily put an overdrive auto or a 5-6 spd manual behind it.

I knew that'd make you want to cuss me :rolf:

Yep, putting anything other than the 360 that's in it, or a big block, or a Cummins would be wrong....very wrong.

fordcontraption01 said:

Not to derail, but what would a 7.3 excursion in good condition go for out there?

Depends on a lot of factors but id say 10-15 grand