• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tow Rig Tires

GIZMO1

It's about time for tires on my dually and I am debating between the Toyo Mt,s, Toyo At 2,s or some Nitto Terra Grapplers. I tow heavy and want something that will last and also perform well getting into the offroad parks. So what do you run ?

I vote 10 ply Nitto Trail Grap M/T's or the Toyo Open Country M/T's! I just really like those tires and they wear pretty good. (for mud terrain) Plus they are available in more sizes than most.

Lot of ppl will likely recommend the Goodyear Duratrac also. Probably a really good tire, I'm just not much of a Goodyear man. BFG A/T's prolly would do pretty good on a dually.

I have herd mixed reviews on the Nittos and that has me worried, I have run the Toyo Mt,s in the past with great luck so I might just go that route. I am considering a 295/60/20

I ran nitto trail grapplers (35x12.50x20 E load rating) on my last truck and loved them....great tread life for a mud terrain, hooked up well off road, were not nearly as loud as some others

My newer truck has goodyear duratracs on it (315/something/17) ...not a big fan to be honest, spin on wet anything

My next set for the cummins will be either toyo opencountry mts or another set of trail grapplers (probably whatever is cheaper and has a higher load rating)

I have the duratrac on my work truck f250 and have around 10,000 miles on them and not real pleased with the wear of them but something that you might want to look at is Nexen Roadian MT I have a set on my dually and they are a good tire for cheap I think I only paid 145 a tire for them and they are 10 ply and have good road manners

smbroady82 said:
I ran nitto trail grapplers (35x12.50x20 E load rating) on my last truck and loved them....great tread life for a mud terrain, hooked up well off road, were not nearly as loud as some others

My newer truck has goodyear duratracs on it (315/something/17) ...not a big fan to be honest, spin on wet anything

My next set for the cummins will be either toyo opencountry mts or another set of trail grapplers (probably whatever is cheaper and has a higher load rating)

x2 One of my best friends has an 06 crew cab Duramax with 35/12.50/20 E rating Nitto Trail Graps and they've worn well and he loves them. He's had them for probably about 3 years now, somewhere between 30 and 40k miles. They are worn pretty good now, but still have life left. Of course, the life of a mud tire depends a lot on keeping them rotated and alignment. Have a couple other friends that run Nitto Trail Graps also and I've never heard them say anything bad about them. Also the same with the Toyo M/T's.

I have the cheapo Federal Couragia M/T's on my 2500HD gasser, 33/12.50/20 and I've been really happy with them as far as ride and grip. I've got about 15-16k miles on them and they are maybe 60% tread, so they don't wear like iron or anything, but they also are a few hundred bucks cheaper too...so you get what you pay for. I will say that they are freaking awesome for grip. I've went up the steep drive to the top parking lot at Choccolocco pulling my rig in the rain and not spin a tire in 4wd. That hill is slick when wet. Then got to the top, parked, and watch tons of other tow rigs spin and give it hell to get up it. Some even having to stop and unload their trailers in order to get their tow rig and trailer to the top. Another time was the soft wet field everyone was parking in at February Jam at Hale Mtn last year. Lots of tow rigs were getting stuck or having a hard time getting out of the field when we all loaded up to leave that night and I just eased out of the field with no problems. Actually had to hook a chain up to another buddy's tow rig from the end of my trailer and pulled my trailer, his tow rig, and his trailer out all at once like it was nothing. So I'll take a little excessive wear for performance like that. thumb.gif

The kenda mts are 10 ply an seem to be doing good on my 2500hd so far.. I got all 4 mounted an balanced for like $650.00 bucks maybe give them a look :dunno:

GIZMO1 said:
It's about time for tires on my dually and I am debating between the Toyo Mt,s, Toyo At 2,s or some Nitto Terra Grapplers. I tow heavy and want something that will last and also perform well getting into the offroad parks. So what do you run ?

If you are towing heavy loads and want a tire that is going to last look into going 19.5. It will be more expensive but it is really an investment. you can get a good traction tire for the rear that will last 125-150k miles on that truck. Check out these Vision wheels.

http://visionwheel.com/wheel.cfm?id=674

and these tires

https://toyotires.com/tbr/tire/pattern/m608z

great setup that will last and look great riding down the road.

tommy450r said:
The kenda mts are 10 ply an seem to be doing good on my 2500hd so far.. I got all 4 mounted an balanced for like $650.00 bucks maybe give them a look :dunno:
I've got some of these Kendas on my DD Grand Cherokee... I really can't say enough good things about them.

I had 315/70-17 bfg A/Ts. traction was ok and they wore good. I went to 305/55-20 notto Terra grapplers and I'm really happy with them. Way better offroad and on wet roads. They are way better towing but I went from a D load to E and less sidewall so that's a little jaded. They seem to be wearing good at 10k miles.

Craig said:
If you are towing heavy loads and want a tire that is going to last look into going 19.5. It will be more expensive but it is really an investment. you can get a good traction tire for the rear that will last 125-150k miles on that truck. Check out these Vision wheels.

http://visionwheel.com/wheel.cfm?id=674

and these tires

https://toyotires.com/tbr/tire/pattern/m608z

great setup that will last and look great riding down the road.

At 14 ply, I bet them things ride like a steel wheeled wagon :****:

I had 19.5,s on my las F-450 and I also had semi tires on my last Dodge, they do last a while but the ride is not worth it to me. The Toyos I am leaning towards have a 3700 lb load rating so that will be plenty. Thanks for all the input guys