• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

tow rig tires?

militaryota

coming time for new tires on the tow rig. have bfg mts(km) and am very happy with them. the performance and longevity balance etc.
i have about 35k on them and 40-50% tread still....
looking for new tires now- im not sure if the km's will still be available with the new style coming out and im not too thrilled about them...
looking at bfg mt kms,new bfg mts, new cooper stt's, toyo mt's, sxt mud terrain, etc? in 315/75r16... whats everyone recommend and why?
truck sees lots of hi-way and lots of snow with some mud and dirt and gravel etc.....

edit: for traction i need lots of towing miles, deep snow, driving snow and lots of winter road trips and then be able to drive out when i accidentally drive in a ditch etc.

Last edited:
All the Methane and oil guys around here (Gillette, WY) really like coopers... They wear very well and withstand the rock abuse.

All the Methane and oil guys around here (Gillette, WY) really like coopers... They wear very well and withstand the rock abuse.

i run the toyo mts. they're quiet, they get great traction in all conditions, E rated, wear is great, and they look good:awesomework:

i run them in a 35x1250r17

I've had guys tell me the toyo's are "quiet" for being a mud tire, And they do have a good load rating. But others say they won't buy another set because they are too load, don't ride that well and don't last very long. Plus the price. I am pretty sure I won't ever have any personal experiance with em though so it's all hearsay.

My next set will be the coopers. I've been happy with all of the other tires I have had from them and have gotten good mileage out of all of them. Plus the price is a whole lot better.

my gf has toyos on her k5 and they do ride well, not necessarilly quiet but from what ive seen they dont last well. no way id get 40-45k out of em. and the $$$?

my gf has toyos on her k5 and they do ride well, not necessarilly quiet but from what ive seen they dont last well. no way id get 40-45k out of em. and the $$$?

for wear i have heard both sides. many tell me they got over 50k with them, few have told me less the 30k with lots of towing miles. im happy with them and would proboly buy them again when these wear out in the next couple years

for wear i have heard both sides. many tell me they got over 50k with them, few have told me less the 30k with lots of towing miles. im happy with them and would proboly buy them again when these wear out in the next couple years

any idea if that was 50k till they were smooth or are we talking 30% left and bought new ones type of deal...

anyone have any wear and taction exp. with the other tires mentioned? coopers? sxt's?

Last edited:
I have toyos Mt's, and ****in hate the over priced bitches. I wont ever buy them again.

The good:
Load range E
good in the snow
ride good for a 10 ply 35" tire
Look good

The bad:
Over priced mother bitches
Wear fast, I have 10k on mine and compared to brand new ones they make my depressed
suck in the rain

anyone have any wear and taction exp. with the other tires mentioned? coopers? sxt's?

A guy that lives by me has the coopers on his f350 crew cab long bed. Tows a 36 ft 5th wheel all over the place. I think i'll try them next, he has been happy with them and they seem to be wearing a lot better than my toyos

Edit: sxt's only go to load range D. so i strayed away from them

personaly for a tow rig.... any thing load range E or better....
esp on a dodge. just the weight on my front axle almost puts me at capacity on my toyos...
ive seen D rated tires with the same weight rating, but they generaly are no wheres neer as stiff. that provides better ride unloaded, but the tread squirms alot .

folowing a ford the other day that was wearing coopers i could watch the trad and sidewall flex in the corners... on an empty truck! cant imagine what the fronts were doing.. not what id want on mine with almost 6k on the front axle empty..

fyi i have over 20k on my toyo's and still have 12/32 of the orig 21/32 left. so not to bad for wear
35 x 12.5-18's 10pr E 3415lb ea
key to making'm work when wet is to sipe the hell out of them
Jul11_0001.jpg

Last edited:
Michelin XPS Last a long time and never get flats. If your looking for a 35 I had BFG all terrians quite a few times and its not uncommon to get 50k-70k out of a set.:beer:

i need a more aggressive tire than that, great tires! but they dont work for what i use my truck for....
these michelins, i dont know what they are like? are they an m/t?

you can't really compare your truck to something you see just driving down the road.. I run the rears in my truck at 32 psi.

Sipe the hell outa them??? I was told by les schwab on my knob they wont sipe tires for diesel cuz of too much torque at the rear wheels with chew them the hell up.

Are yours getting chewed up at all?

there not " torn up" but it definetly feathers the edges of the siping.....
gota rotate them regularly to keep from wearing wierd...

that's funny.. The guys at Les Schwabs wanted to sipe my buddies tires when we were getting a quote for his truck.. I laughed and said ummm no. He asked why not. "Ever heard of torque?"

It worked great for the Jeep though.

you can't really compare your truck to something you see just driving down the road.. I run the rears in my truck at 32 psi.

i do drive this truck down the road, all the time. you've probably seen it around, not that you'd notice it though. but i do need a fairly aggressive tire to work in the areas i often drive

i do drive this truck down the road, all the time. you've probably seen it around, not that you'd notice it though. but i do need a fairly aggressive tire to work in the areas i often drive

sorry I didn't mean that towards you.. I meant that towards t1h5ta3's last comment.