• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Towing heavy?

Maverick26

As iron sharpens iron...
Anyone tow a gooseneck trailer in the 16k to 20k range with a 3500, 4500, 5500 class pickup? I got a buddy that has a near 15000lb toy hauler that he tried towing with his Ram 2500 and it about killed him. Just wondering if anyone has had interesting or not experiances towing in this weight class.

I am going to pick up a 12000lb excavator with my Ram 3500 srw on a BigTex 20gn trailer. I am planning to load the machine with the boom pointing forward on the trailer with the body of the machine over the trailer axles. The GAWR on the rear of the truck is 7000lbs so this gives me about 4400lbs of payload in the bed (gooseneck tounge weight). I believe the rule is 18% tounge weight now. Trailer tare weight is about 5200lbs. I just wanted to hear if anyone had $.02 on this load... :awesomework:

Well not sure if it helps or not but I have a triple axle 32 foot toyhauler thats bumper pull. I have a 2005 dodge diesel pickup that I pull it with. With my Jeep in it and parts and tools loaded im close to 26,000# total. Going over white pass to Naches it does fine i just dont set any speed records. :D

My Dad has an 05 3500 that he tows a 40' toy hauler with. The trailer is 18k or a little better with Harleys and the tanks full. I drove it from Arizona back to the NW. It worked great. Felt much better than smaller bumper pulls. He also pulled a friend's 34' 5th wheel RV that has a tandem dual setup. Scales at 21k loaded. Said it towed even better thanks to the axle setup. The new Dodges are considerably better than his. Shouldn't have any problems.

Last edited:
Ive had about 14k on the back of my 2500 did good... DODGE FOR THE WIN:cheer:

I haul 9-11,000 lbs of cedar on 3500lb trailer all the time. So 14K is about the most I like to tow with my truck.

I use my sisters crewcab superduty with a gooseneck to move my backhoe and haul fertalizer for her sometimes too.

The truck is an 06 ford 6.0l. Her trailer is a 48 foot 20K PJ gooseneck. My backhoe is 15K and I usually get 8, 2000lb bags of fertalizer for her making a 16k load on the deck and the trailer is about 6K so about 14K with a ton the the truck axle.

I absolutely HATE the hill coming out of Chambers Creek.

Well we will see how she does... I dont think it will be crazy heavy but It is a chunk back there. Should be a fun trip... Ill report back if anything cool happens.

See you Sunday Chop.

hell, i pulled about 16k with my 03 with no triler brakes..no big deal. accelerating i hardly knew it was back there... it just wasnt alot of fun slowing it back down...

I thought this thread was going to be about heavy loads and here all I'm seeing is numbers closer to a tare weight than gross. :flipoff:

03 2500 dodge i towed a 44 foot gooseneck enclosed half living quarters half open cargo, with my jeep and food and water for a long weekend it weighed in about 16K triple axle, could haul almost any grade a 60 MPH but i have 6 speed manual so i could keep the R's up higher to hold that speed, stopping wasnt really an issue with 6 extra braking wheels on the trailer and i dialed them in really good when i bought the trailer. Ive towed about 14K on a bumper pull trailer before with just a dual axle trailer no issues there either.

I hope you two aren't trying to brag about weighing 105.....

Not at all, 105 is no big deal. Just pointing out that running a pickup down the road at sub 20k isn't worth getting excited over. I've ran a 68 c10 with a 292/sm420 down the road many times hauling scrap, gravel etc at 22k. It gets really exciting when a power steering line blows soaking the drivers front drum brake with oil and you're heading down hill with that load. :redneck:

Nope 105k is child's play.

I don't get out of bed for anything less than 170k and 14' wide.:awesomework:

I've always wanted to do the big heavy stuff. Either that or a drive semi tow truck. :redneck:

I get a bit of a fix in the summer when I move all the equipment from field to field. Nothing over 12' wide goes on the deck though. The big dirt equipment gets left behind a tractor and moved by jose/juan/pedro etc. :haha:

Last edited: