• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Towing with a 350?

Pat

I'm looking at picking up a cheap tow rig to get me by until I can afford the diesel I really want.

I'm finding a lot of good deals on 3/4 and 1 ton Chevy's with the 350 and either 4 speed or TH350. Is the 350/TH350 gonna be able to tow my trailer and jeep? I know its not the best setup for towing but will it get the job done for now?

If youre only towing 5k behind youre rear bumper a 350 will be fine but thats trailer and load. you won't be first to the top of the pass but you won't be last etheir. theres allways some grandma in an old buick you'll pass:D

Edit: and I would allways go for the manual!!!!:awesomework:

A long time ago, I towed a few times with a 95 burb with a 350 (pre-vortec) and it worked but was slow.

Tom (captain america) used to tow a 30ish foot gooseneck with 2 rigs with a 3/4 ton pre-vortec 350. Slow, but got the job done.

ive got a 75 chev crew cab 2wd wth a 307, th400, all my camping stuff, race jeep on trailer (about 4500 lbs), gets the job done, just dont be no big hurry:awesomework:
just make anybody running with you follow you, and they will be happy with all the gas you have saved them!

350 will do just fine, like mentioned before, don't plan on winning any races climbing a pass, or Conway Hill for that matter!!:redneck: I used to tow with a 79 chev 3/4T 4x4 350/4sp--It did slow down up hills, but got the job done! In fact I know a buddy was trying to sell his 77 3/4T 2wd; i think it's got a 400sb/4sp.....right at $1,100 IIRC; Ive driven it, and it ran well--looks decent... I can call him if you like.

Really gonna be pushing that old 350 hard... make sure the cooling system is up to snuff, do a good tune-up and make sure it's timed right and running good. I would go with the manual, personally... or a TH400 with a good tranny cooler if you gotta go auto.

I bet if you look you can find a 454 truck with a TH400 for dirt cheap too. Gas mileage sucks when towing no matter what, so you might as well go for the big guns and just not worry about it.

Blewitt pass has been the death of 2 350's in 2 months in my old truck towing....that POS is dead to me! :mad:

Yeah, but the 1st one had a lot of miles and the 2nd one was junk obviously and the guy who built it won't stand behind his work. :mad:

Really gonna be pushing that old 350 hard... make sure the cooling system is up to snuff, do a good tune-up and make sure it's timed right and running good. I would go with the manual, personally... or a TH400 with a good tranny cooler if you gotta go auto.

I bet if you look you can find a 454 truck with a TH400 for dirt cheap too. Gas mileage sucks when towing no matter what, so you might as well go for the big guns and just not worry about it.

Everything you said here sums up exactly what I was thinking. It CAN be done but not the best. I'd rather tow with a manual but I drive one everyday and it gets old- automatics are looking better all the time. I'm so sick of manuals I was thinking I'd rather rebuild an auto than drive a manual:D

Thanks for all the replies. For now I'm still shopping around.

Pat if you find one with a turbo 400 trans you won't have any problems. I towed with my chev for years. over 250,000 miles on it and now bill has it still going strong.

You can tow with a 350/350, 350/400, 454/400. I just depends on gears and how you build the combo. I tow with a 86 1/2 ton 4x4 with a 355/400 and I have no problem with Bow Hill or I-90. I also get 20mpg in my truck it's all in how you build it.

I towed a few times with a half ton '79 chevy van, 305 (close enough), th350.... it did ok, was very slow going up Stevens. I did this several times, with various rigs on the trailer. The last time I tried, I overheated the TH350 and puked out all the tranny fluid through the vent.

We unloaded the Jeep and got the tow rig and trailer turned around by adding about a quart of power steering fluid to the TH350. Parked the van and trailer, and continued on our way to Reiter. Came back for it later with a few quarts of ATF.

My dad still drives that van around and even tows the trailer with it sometimes with scrap metal on it. Same tranny. Hell it's the same tranny it's had since 1979, and it's on its third motor.

Towing with a stock small block chevy and auto can be done, just not for very long. :D

Good advice in this thread. Just be sure of the basics and go with it. My tow rig is a 68 chevy with a 292 backed by a 465 so don't feel too bad. :D

Latest posts