• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toy front axle question

poopman

This may be stupid but do need to pull the knuckle off to remove the axles? The dumb s##T that I had build my axles didn't put any seals in and didn't grease the bearings. So I want to redoit myself but need some help thanks Travis:redneck:

Hi All:

Travis, that sucks! If the guy didn't know enough to grease the bearings and install seals . . . . . I'd be worried about other things about this axle assembly! :rolleyes:

No, on a Toyota front solid-axle removing the outer knuckles is not necessary to remove the axle shafts and CV joints (aka "Birfields") but to install new knuckle ball seals one must remove the outer knuckles.

Look around on the 'web for an article with pics on re-building a Toyota solid front axle - it sounds like it would be a worthwhile exercise to go through your frontend to ensure everything is alright.

Good luck!

Alan

You don't have to, but some people think it's easier to pull the trunion bearing caps and pull the knuckle off than it is to disassemble the entire outer knuckle & spindle.

I've done several, but I've always been going for a complete rebuild so I'm not sure which way I'd go for the quickest path to pulling the birfs.

Thanks for the help I was pissed so I just pulled everything off to bare housing. Now tomorrow I'll get a whole front end rebuild kit Thanks again should be back up and running in a few weeks since I'm going to have Odie put the lockers in and need to finish the front brake lines

i would bet the housing is bent. they probably left the seals out b/c they werent able to get the axles in with them there.

also, i intentionally left the seals out of mine in the past. just after redoing the knuckle ball seals. i figured 90w in the birfs was good. after about 3+ yrs, it finally started leaking ever so SLIGHTLY, on the drivers side.

when i put longs in, i decided to throw in the seals.....well, the housing is bent NOW. the axles wouldnt go in....so i had to pull them....

You don't have to, but some people think it's easier to pull the trunion bearing caps and pull the knuckle off than it is to disassemble the entire outer knuckle & spindle.

I've done several, but I've always been going for a complete rebuild so I'm not sure which way I'd go for the quickest path to pulling the birfs.
If I was JUST swapping birfs like a trail repair, I pulled the whole knuckle (not that I have to worry now withe the 30 spline chromos). Otherwise, I go through everything and check it out eyes-on, regrease, etc while Im there.

~T.J.

Thanks for the help I was pissed so I just pulled everything off to bare housing. Now tomorrow I'll get a whole front end rebuild kit Thanks again should be back up and running in a few weeks since I'm going to have Odie put the lockers in and need to finish the front brake lines

HOLY FAWK. You posted and then went and yarded the whole front end apart in 46 minutes.

Hi All:

Travis, that sucks! If the guy didn't know enough to grease the bearings and install seals . . . . . I'd be worried about other things about this axle assembly! :rolleyes:

No, on a Toyota front solid-axle removing the outer knuckles is not necessary to remove the axle shafts and CV joints (aka "Birfields") but to install new knuckle ball seals one must remove the outer knuckles.

Look around on the 'web for an article with pics on re-building a Toyota solid front axle - it sounds like it would be a worthwhile exercise to go through your frontend to ensure everything is alright.

Good luck!

Alan

Here this is what i just used and i baught the marlin rebuild kit it was only 70 or 80 bucks and came with everything

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/AxleRebuild.shtml

Definately go with the Marlin Crawler seals. For the rest of the stuff, TG or MC are both OEM.

When I did mine, I just put the MC seals in, then greased it, and re-used all the other stuff: felt rings, etc.