• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

toy ruf question

toyodaaddict

Im sure iv heard some of you guys talking about running 7 or 8 leafs in your toyota ruf packs. Iv been running 6 leaf packs for a few years and would like to add a 7th leaf but at full drop there is only about 1/8" of clearance between the spring and the tie rod. Am I missing something or is a 7th leaf just not gonna happen?

The tie rod and leaf spring are not gonne be charged with abuse if they massage each other once in a while.

The leaf is only about 3/16 of an inch anyways. Its only gonna barely rub at full stuff on only one side when fully turned. Your not gonna feel a 1/16 inch rub down under that condition!

If you have been running 6 leaves for that long and it is working why change it?

that is a good point. It definitely works well as is. I just thought maybe if I stiffen up the pack some it might handle a bit better on the street aswell as take hard bumps on the trail a little better. I just wanted to see if I could get a little more out of it

The tie rod and leaf spring are not gonne be charged with abuse if they massage each other once in a while.

The leaf is only about 3/16 of an inch anyways. Its only gonna barely rub at full stuff on only one side when fully turned. Your not gonna feel a 1/16 inch rub down under that condition!

ok so a 7th leaf sounds like the max. I was woried I might bend the tie rod. the way you put it it dont sound so bad. maybe I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Have you tried decent shocks? From the sounds of what you are saying. Good shocks will absorb bumps better then adding a leaf.

that is a good point. It definitely works well as is. I just thought maybe if I stiffen up the pack some it might handle a bit better on the street aswell as take hard bumps on the trail a little better. I just wanted to see if I could get a little more out of it

Shocks and maybe some kind of disconnectable sway bar or anti rock will probably help you far more than stiffer springs. Stiff springs suck everywhere. What shocks are you running and how are they mounted? Any pictures? Are your rear shocks leaned into the center of the rig? If the rear shocks are leaned way in like all the toyota people do they are completely worthless on the street.

im running bilstein 5125's 14" front 12'' rear. rear shocks are almost straight up and down as far out on the axle as possible. bump stops front and rear. dont get me wrong guys the truck does great on the road and on the trail. I realy cant ask for much more I just thought another leaf might be worth a try. Im probably messing with somthing thats well enough left alone. iv heard people talk about running 7 or 8 leafs and wondered how its even possible wich it sounds like its not without interfence.

A good set of shocks made a world of difference on my truck. I had 5150's front and 5125's rear, I almost bought them again but went with fox 2.0 smooth body remote Res. one of the biggest reasons is you can tune them and rebuild them.

A good set of shocks will not cure the following problems.

Axle wrap.

Bent spring packs.

Body roll.

Soft springs that get cycled too easily till they fatigue/crack bust the main leaf.

I run a 8 leaf pack RUF in a 3400lbs buggy. (2200lbs on the front axle) I have broke a mainn leaf even with 8 leafs. I get about 2 years out of a set of main leaves (top three) before they start getting S shaped. I run third gen springs also because they are a bit longer and will tollerate more cycling, more often. Short fist/second gen packs dont last as long.

I cant imagine running 5 or 6 leaf pack in a 4500lbs + truck and expecting thme to live for long with me driving.