• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

toyota axle question

toyodaaddict

im rebuilding my dads axles. he's got the wider ifs rear axle. inside i found what i believe to be a splash guard. its a light metal thing that slides in and out. theres only 1, on the drivers side. should there be one on the passenger side to? are these important or should i just put it back together without one on the passenger side? i dont want to ruin his new gears

I hvae them on both sides and I would kep them in. IIRC they are there to not allow too much gear oil to go down the tube so your diff will have the proper level in it.

It's a splash guard of sorts to try and keep the gear oil in the center of the diff housing, or at least most of it...Are they gonna keep the oil in the diff area while wheelin'??? Nope, but they do slow down the movement of the oil when it's sloshin' around in there....

Most people when they stab the axle in end up bending the crap out of it, and pull it out the next time they're in there rebuilding their diff...again....I have a few housings with the splash guards in them if you need one.......

Most people when they stab the axle in end up bending the crap out of it, and pull it out the next time they're in there rebuilding their diff...again....I have a few housings with the splash guards in them if you need one.......

thanks for the offer. i assume you want to sell the whole houing not just the splash guard? i dont want to junk my axle just because its missing a splash guard. if you can part with just the guard let me know

Stop overthinking it. If the tin pieces are intact I leave them. If they are loose I pull them out. Never had an issue either way. I wouldnt worry about them at all.

we had a case omce where the one on the ring gear side came loose and got caught in the gears and killed them, should have stretched it out more? or the axle pushed it out? not sure, but it did damage thats for shure.

WT said it best---not a huge deal if missing....
Question for you supersamurai, how'd the shield get past the carrier bearings? THAT woulda been a pic of carnage I'd like to see...:D

thanks for the offer. i assume you want to sell the whole houing not just the splash guard? i dont want to junk my axle just because its missing a splash guard. if you can part with just the guard let me know
I am pretty sure I have a housing with just one guard in it.... if you want to make the drive, you can have the shield....

I have two loose splash guards in Auburn from our extra housing. Come get 'em if you want. 328 37th st NW Auburn. Mon-fri 8am to 5pm.