• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

toyota axles into samurai

SAPPER, If you have the opportunity to pick these up for that money, DO IT!!!:yikes: They'll be plenty strong for your Sami, and yes the offset rear is almost a perfect fit..:awesomework: Not to mention you can still upgrade to Longfields in the front if you want ultimate toy strength...

Plus Offset front, and rear is just nice. My first Willy's was like that, and I could sit crooked in the ruts the big tire guys made, and keep chugin.

Thanks for the input, I'll pick them up next week.Will regular toyota 3rds bolt to these diffs? Next will be saving up for steering any brand recommendations on a toyota hi steer type set up to go into samurai? :cool:

Thanks for the input, I'll pick them up next week.Will regular toyota 3rds bolt to these diffs? Next will be saving up for steering any brand recommendations on a toyota hi steer type set up to go into samurai? :cool:
Check out www.breezeindustries.com as they are just over the border in coquitlam; that's where I got mine from TJ...They don't advertise their histeer (or at least didn't when I got mine); give them a call; you'll likely talk to Sue (owner's wife), she is way cool peeps...:awesomework: As for the 3rd fitting, I don't know...but I have read you can change the outers out to pickup stuff...

ok I didn't know they sold toyota stuff, they still don't advertise it. But I agree I have been to the shop a couple times for steering solutions and also to get birfield rings wich they press on free of charge.:awesomework:
Did a bit of research on these diffs, found they have 9" ring gears but everything else is the same as a truck, other than one inner axle is a bit longer and they have vented rotors, 79 and up fronts are better. rear is 9" ring gear and semi floater, gear ratio 3.70. :cool:

They're definitely good peeps for sure! :D Speaking of which, do you get up there often??? May be buying a set of arms from them for unclestripey's rig really soon...:corn:

Hi All:

Do you realize how wide these axles are? They are about 2.75 inches wider than 40/45/55 Series Land Cruiser axles. So they will be *wide* on a Samurai!

The center section has a larger ring gear than the Toyota mini-truck stuff, but uses similar disc front brakes and the same CV ("Birfield") joints.

Regards,

Alan

------------------------------------------------------
Anyone swap axles out of a landcruiser, is the front diff the same as a truck diff? found these: http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?t=150997
but don't know a whole lot about Toyota trucks any info would be greatly appreciated.

I thought the birfs in these axles SAPPER showed were bigger than the pickup/40/50 series....or am I thinking of the 80 series???

Hi All:

All Toyota Birfields from 1979-89 are the same - whether Land Cruiser or solid axle mini-truck. Yes, the Land Cruiser 80 Series Birfs are much larger.

The axles that Sapper was looking at buying up in B.C. are from a BJ60 (Land Cruiser) wagon, which use identical Birfs as the 1979-85 solid front axle Toyota 4wd mini-trucks.

Regards,

Alan

-----------------------------------------------
I thought the birfs in these axles SAPPER showed were bigger than the pickup/40/50 series....or am I thinking of the 80 series???

Soooo, the inners are much longer on these BJ60 axles then...Still, for the $$ he was talkin'....

Hi All:

Yep, the inner axle on the long side (IIRC) is longer but the short side is the same as the 40/45/55 Series.

For $300. I'd want the rest of that rusty stuff (i.e. the drive shafts and leaf springs.)

Figure both axle assemblies will need a full inspection, pretty much assuming the frontend will require a full rebuild. Figure about US$100. for all the various front axle rebuild parts.

Regards,

Alan

I'll have them tomorrow, I believe they are 3" wider than mini truck diffs, not a concern for me. The leaf springs and driveshaft will be available if someone wants them.
I go up to Canada every day so if you need me to pick something up it wouldn't be a problem. There is also a toyota solid front diff available for 250 Cad if anyone else is looking for one

Bought them today, $240 CAD.for the pair seemed ok. Alan I suspect your assumptions are correct about the rebuild of brake and bearing components and they are fairly rusty, but very solid the thirds are open diffs, I have yet to confirm gear ratio just unloaded removed springs ect and brushed off lots off dirt and grime. front measured 59" rear 58" between wms. Will be needing front backing plates as they had been damaged beyond repair. The only other parts the guy saved from the BJ 60 was front fenders, I was hoping he might have a power steering box. :mad:

Anyone needing leaf springs is welcome to these, I can get measurements if interested. Also have stock yota rear springs from a 92 with one broken leaf. (not main leaf):hi:

Right on TJ!:awesomework: Might take the springs and shaft off your hands if you don't mind....:; Also, Unc and I may well be takin' you up on the offer to swing by Breeze for some arms....:awesomework: They will be pd for in advance if we do need your assistance, so no worries there!!! Thanks a bunch!!! Gotta get out your way soon to check out what you got goin...:awesomework:

Sure I'll save the springs, they are 3" wide I believe, seem super stiff! I just need to check if the regular toy driveshaft flanges are the same as this shaft before you take it...
I am really trying to clean out the clutter, I mean PILE of stuff that is accumulating in my shop so there might be a few things you could use. Just pm if you need my number. Have any extra toy front backing plates?

Checked gear ratio turned out it's 3.70, cool feature on the rear diff is it has a removable inspection cover. So when the third is out you can look right through it:haha:

Latest posts