• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

toyota brake lights not working and 35 mph death wobble.

FastEddy

So the brake lights stopped working randomly wires look good to the ass end, from connector in cab, switch on pedal is working, fuse is good is there a relay for them am i missing something? need a better diagram then effin haynes:puke:

and i have a death wobble not to bad but its there. between 35 and 40 suggestions?

How's your rear pinion angle?

Is it at a coast? under power?

have you checked the connection at the block? are the terminals/bulbs corroded at the bulb?

tires arent balanced, no steering stabilizer, will check toe tommorow set it with a tape about 2 months ago, pinion angles are both good. lookin at the brake lights tommorow thanks guys.

steering stabilizer will not solve the issue at most will dampin it slightly... what kind of tires are you running? your tie is either off or you need to shim your axle. it might be the rear but i doubt it. if infact it were the rear axle for what ever reason you wouldn't really feel it in the steering wheel... if infact you are feeling it in the steering wheel?

as far as the rear brake lights go.. to you have running/park lights/turn and reverse?

its not the rear you built it, i know a steering stabilizer wont fix the problem.
35 ssr' tires front end should be fine ill toe it out a little tommorow see if it fixes it.

only the brake lights dont work, tail and reverse work. i think its either a ground or wiring soaked in gear oil from the t cases. they were working for like 2 months then they stopped. it pisses me off

Did the death wobble just start?

As for the brake lights. Have you tested to see if you have power going the plug?

steering stabilizer will not solve the issue at most will dampin it slightly... what kind of tires are you running? your tie is either off or you need to shim your axle. it might be the rear but i doubt it. if infact it were the rear axle for what ever reason you wouldn't really feel it in the steering wheel... if infact you are feeling it in the steering wheel?

If it's in the steering wheel its most likely a camber/balance problem (pinion angle should not matter unless your running around in 4wd, plus you more then likely have a CV front Driveshaft that is more then capable to soak up the angle).

However if your feeling it in your ass, then it's probably the rear pinion/tire balance. I chased a rear vibration for months before finally buckling down and having a high angle rear cv shaft made. Made my troubles go away. I had people telling me it was clutch chatter. :looser:

Process of elimination, get-r-done

Anything loose or slightly bent in the draglink/tierod will cause death wobble. Or a broken center pin. Both are easy to rule out or fix.

check the toe.

check tire pressure.

PUT A STABALIZER ON IT. It does make a HUGE difference. Make sure its mounted to the tie rod and axle, not tie rod and frame.

Drivelines have nothing to do with this. And the CV advice given was poor at best.

You dont need shims or a cut and turn, a toy axle is perfectly able to retain a driveline and good return to center in stock form with mild to very tall lifts. Shims maybe if you did somehting dumb like shackles sleeves under the frame.

check the tierods. ANY slop will give death wobble.

If it's in the steering wheel its most likely a camber/balance problem (pinion angle should not matter unless your running around in 4wd, plus you more then likely have a CV front Driveshaft that is more then capable to soak up the angle). a CV is only capable of working properly if the axle is cut and turned on a front axle

However if your feeling it in your ass, then it's probably the rear pinion/tire balance. I chased a rear vibration for months before finally buckling down and having a high angle rear cv shaft made. Made my troubles go away. I had people telling me it was clutch chatter. :looser:

even a monkey can tell the difference between "death wobble" and a drive line vibration.

A vibration is happening at a high rate with barely any movement.

A wobble is happening at a slow rate with massive movement.

Just have the monkey look out the window and observe the tires moving back and forth 6 inches to a foot, thats wobble, not vibration.

even a monkey can tell the difference between "death wobble" and a drive line vibration.

A vibration is happening at a high rate with barely any movement.

A wobble is happening at a slow rate with massive movement.

Just have the monkey look out the window and observe the tires moving back and forth 6 inches to a foot, thats wobble, not vibration.

Thanks for the lesson. Have you ridden in the rig/Do you have experience with it? Remember two things;

First, we come from Mount Si high school, where education was shaddy at best.

Second, one mans death wobble is another mans vibration.

Thus, plainly ruling a web fix as proper without experience with the rig is ludacris.

You have more knowledge in this area than I. So, I deviate my opinions as merely insighful and not factual. I've had the same wobble/vibration at nearly the same speed with almost the same setup. To which my fix consisted of the addition of a DC to the rear driveshaft. Simply an observation, masssa. :flipoff:

Hope you figure it out... That **** sucks...

But, it's funny when guys post that they have death wobble and say it's not to bad... :haha:

When you get the "Death Wobble" you'll post up in a totally different manner... With a lot of "OMFG" and "It Was Really Violent" or "I thought I was gonna put it in a ditch"...

My old set up would scare the **** out of me and who ever else was in the truck at the time...:redneck:

Money has the best advice... Trailer that bitch...:awesomework:

If it's in the steering wheel its most likely a camber/balance problem (pinion angle should not matter unless your running around in 4wd, plus you more then likely have a CV front Driveshaft that is more then capable to soak up the angle).

damn this thread went to **** quick:rolleyes:

anyways as i was saying... if the pinion angle is way ****ed. then the caster is ****ed as well:awesomework:

Tim- how old are your tires? i do not have shims in the front of my runner. i have high steer and 3in TG springs. and short shackles maybe an inch longer then stock... i do NOT have a steering stabalizer and i have zero death wobble currently. i have run 5 differant sets of tires on my runner thus far on the street. and i can say for certain old tires even though they are balanced can ride like ****...

check your shackle bolts they might be alittle loose..
is your steering box braced on the frame or is it still on the stock location?

i have seen the frame crack around the box, even the slight flex of a cracked frame can cause a wabble