• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota charging system HELP

TTF Fabrication

i had a problem with my charing system. i didnt have a the ground hooked up to the 'E' terminal on the alternator. this is an 81 w/ the 22r and the black plug alternator. so i figured out that i smoked my alternator and that drained my battery to the point of no return. so i now know that i have a good working alternator, and a brand new yellowtop optima just purchased today. threw the new alternator in and hooked up the ground appropriately and i am reading 12.53 volts at the new yellow top. when the vehicle is not running i am reading 12.65-12.73 volts on the alternator. i thought it may be the ground as it is to the body, but we hooked up a ground to the frame and to the motor and both gave me 12.53 volts at the battery. so my question is, is this a ground problem? or is this a problem with the wiring to the alternator. i have read through a wiring diagram for this and everything matches. i have a feeling i am overlooking something and it will be a simple fix but any help would be much appreciated.

it does but i have two different voltage regulators and i tried both. there is a chance that they are both fried but one is 3 months old and one came off a parted out truck that worked when it came off.

First thing i thought is sometimes the wires slide back in the plug that goes into the alt.

check to see if it charging at the alt,make sure the battery has a good charge.
i had to make a charge wire from the alt straight to the battery.if its not charging at the alt id start checking into the voltage reg.
also put some RPM into it so see if it brings up the voltage

i am assuming not as i got one at b&b a while back and then just had it warrantied again. the redmond store. what store do you own/work at?

Another possibility is where the 8 or so gage wire goes into the engine bay fuse block. There is a crappy connection in there that will fawk with ya.

what wire do i test to see if there is power coming from the alternator? could be a bad alternator or voltage regulator, but i have had this problem before and replaced the voltage regulator and it went away. i tried two different regulators but still have the problem. checked my fuses, all are good, checked the connection of the wires into the plug that plugs into the alternator thats good. i will check the connection at the fuse box, if thats not it, im pullin the motor and buying an eco tec or a vortec 4.3 with a custom harness.:mad: