• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota dual case shift pattern

PaulSac

So I have dual cases I just put in my 4runner with 4.7s in the rear. What is the shift pattern? The front case only goes front and back now and has 3 positions and the rear has the usual 4 positions. Whats the combo's I need to know?

front case is low forward, middle nuetral and high back. Leave the back case in 2wd & front case in high for normal driving, 2w low is 2wd back case, front case forward (low range). you have a choice of 4wd high & high in the front, low in back & high in front case, low in front case, high in back or low in both cases low/low. If you have 4.7 or 5.0 gearing in one case then you end up with more gearing options depending on which case is in low or high gear. Do not ever push the clutch in & coast down a hill in low/low. The clutch will spin at a super high speed and possibly come apart if you do.

The front transfer case just does high and low.low being all the way forward, high all the way back.The rear case should be 2 to 4 with the right shifter, and low to high with the left shifter.You will probally use the 2 to 4 a lot and the front t case for normal wheelin Its easy to do just a pain thinking about it. Just reread his post I thought he had a twin stick on the rear case as well.What notstock said :redneck:

Last edited:
Really? Your front case is Hi/Lo. Your rear case is the usual HI, HI4, neutral, 4L if the hubs are locked. You know how to lock the hubs? You can have the standard low with the front case, the 4.7 with the rear case or both for the compound low.

Cool thanks guys. The front case is what I was a little confused on. Now I know its just a low and high so that makes sence. Cant wait to get out wheelin for the first time!

I have twin sticks in the rear but the way I remember it is:
On a stock toyota the shifter performs 2 functions 2 to 4wd and hi lo.
No matter which Transfercase shifter you grab pulling it to the rear will either put you in 4wd or hi (or both on a stock shifter) ALWAYS. Push the stick to the front will be either 2wd or low or both ALWAYS.
Think of your front shifter as a stock single stick after you have pulled the shifter back and over, you would push it forward for low, same as your front case.
I put a 4.7 knob and a 2/4 knob so I can remember my twins.