• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota Front Leaf Springs

mark

I recently picked up a Formula Toy project. Its 80-90% complete, but needs some work to get on the trails. Main thing it needs is the front end rebuilt. the PO had it set up for a 3-link but not a really good set-up in my opinion, way long links, hangers hang down right in the middle of the belly and on top of that all the links were bent and severely scarred and would need to be replaced. I did get the front housing to match, but its pretty much just a bare housing and would require a complete another front axle to give me all the parts I need. So essentially it would all have to be rebuilt.

To get this thing back together sooner than later I'm thinking of just tossing a set of leaf spring back on it since the mounts are still on the frame and the PO tossed in the shackles as well. And my old D44 from my last trail rig might just almost bolt right in with the way I narrowed in and where the cast-in perch lands.

So what should I be looking for in Toy front springs. I'm thinking I probably want a 3" lift or so, not sure what is in the back but think the guy said Trail Gear springs. I can take a frame to spring top measurement if that helps anyone figure out whats in the back.

I see springs sets from Dave'z, Low Range and Trail Gear running about $350 a set for 220# spring rates, 47" long, 22" pin offset. Seems to be a common theme. I also see ProComp 3" springs on Amazon for like $60 ea. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas? I'll need a set of shocks to complement it as well.

Since this is temporary, I'd like to stay on the cheap-side, but also don't want to waste money on junk. Or if anyone has anything cheap laying around.....

Any help would be appreciated, I know almost nothing about toy stuff.

:beer:

Rears up front. Hybrid pack with more rear leafs cut in length and added.

Do you know what works worse than a poorly designed/installed 3link???

A junk-ass dana 44!!!

Rears up front. Hybrid pack with more rear leafs cut in length and added.

Do you know what works worse than a poorly designed/installed 3link???

A junk-ass dana 44!!!

D44 is temporary. I have a D60 waiting for round 2, but the I have from my old truck 44 should almost bolt right in and essentially ready to go... and I have spare parts for it.

What they said. Toyota rears.

I saw that mentioned a couple of time, but do they bolt up? I saw a couple (old) threads searching the web about needing a main-leaf from the cheapest after-market pack you could find to get the length right, then fill the rest of the pack out with rear leafs. But most of the threads we old, pictures didn't work and no one went into much more detail. I don't have the stock front springs to work with

I'll measure my current mount-to-shackle distance this weekend and compare that to the rears that are on there now. I don't know if the existing front mounts are original or modified/swapped, I know they are reinforced. I'll take a closer look. Are all rear PU springs essentially the same or should I be picky? IFS trucks a valid source? I have no parts pile to pick from, so I'm going to have to find whatever I need, and junk yards are less convenient than they used to be and a PITA, and the classifieds suck these days. Or at least for any good 4x4 junk in my area.

D44 is temporary. I have a D60 waiting for round 2, but the I have from my old truck 44 should almost bolt right in and essentially ready to go... and I have spare parts for it.

I saw that mentioned a couple of time, but do they bolt up? I saw a couple (old) threads searching the web about needing a main-leaf from the cheapest after-market pack you could find to get the length right, then fill the rest of the pack out with rear leafs. But most of the threads we old, pictures didn't work and no one went into much more detail. I don't have the stock front springs to work with

I'll measure my current mount-to-shackle distance this weekend and compare that to the rears that are on there now. I don't know if the existing front mounts are original or modified/swapped, I know they are reinforced. I'll take a closer look. Are all rear PU springs essentially the same or should I be picky? IFS trucks a valid source? I have no parts pile to pick from, so I'm going to have to find whatever I need, and junk yards are less convenient than they used to be and a PITA, and the classifieds suck these days. Or at least for any good 4x4 junk in my area.
You can use an aftermarket main leaf if you want. Most dont, I dont.

I have my mounts at 44 1/4" spring mount to shackle mount.

First and second gen leaf's are most commonly used. 3rd gen are longer but people do use them.

I like to start by mixing two packs (6 leafs) and add to that if needed. Ultimately, you can tune them however you like. I think I recall Chop Shop using a YJ pack under a toy rear pack on a build he posted. Yep, here it is https://nw-wheelers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47583

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toy...-rear-up-front-faq.html#/topics/265669?page=1

Thanks for the links. That helps. Expically the pirate link. Gives me some stock specs to work off of and compare to what I have.

I'll dig further this weekend.

:beer:

The Blue Beater thread was done using third gen rears. They are longer than first/second gens. For third gens the front hanger needs to be moved forward.

For 1st/2nd gens the stock hanger location can be used. Stock hangers are garbage tho and if you dont have beefy mounts I would fab some before the stock ones rip off.

The mounts that are on there right now are pretty beefy and/or have been reinforced. I'll take a closer look tomorrow.

Took some pictures and measurements.

Front mounts, fixed to shackle is in the 45-46" range. Springs in the pictures are a set of springs I had laying around from an IH pick-up truck which, after I burned the bushings out, fit in pretty nice to allow me to roll it around. Right now they measure at 45.5" eye to eye.

The front mounts looks custom/aftermarket to me. And pretty well done. Actually a lot of the original fab on this rig looks to have been pretty nicely done. I think I lucked out in the that respect.

Rear spring measure out at ~56" as it sits, so probably 58" flat with an offset pin. Shackles and mount to back of the frame. From the chart on Pirate I'm assuming the rear springs have been changed, maybe 58" chevies? Pirate chart has Toy springs at either 48" for 1rst or 2nd gen, and 52" for 3rd gen, obviously these are a lot longer. Even had an anti-wrap top spring on the front 1/2. Again, the fab looks pretty well done so I have no intent on changing anything back here for now, other than swapping in a 35-spline D60SF I have in the garage since the current axle is possibly bent and needs a 3rd member.

Now to just find some doner parts for the front suspension..... finish up a couple other project to make room, source some more parts, find a money tree so I don't have to work any more and can have more time to play....... :redneck:

Attachments

• IMG_0766.jpg
    IMG_0766.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0767.jpg
    IMG_0767.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0768.jpg
    IMG_0768.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0769.jpg
    IMG_0769.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0770.jpg
    IMG_0770.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0771.jpg
    IMG_0771.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0772.jpg
    IMG_0772.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0774.jpg
    IMG_0774.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0776.jpg
    IMG_0776.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 84
I'm no Toyota expert but the front crossmember/spring hanger is what you see on the SAS Toyotas. Probably means the frame is newer than 1985. If you're happy with the height just use those springs.

Kind of thought the same thing.

I might steel some leaves out of those springs, and they will work as-is for holding the rig up, but they are not suitable. For one the spring eyes are WAY too small for the big bolts the toys use. Like I said, I had to torch the bushings out and the bolts take up the entire steel spring eye loop. Plus they are a couple inches too short, you can see that by the shackle angle, 48" spring would be about perfect.

I'll figure out something, but you're on the right track, first I got to figure out exactly what I actually have.

Latest posts